Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Camshaft designed for roll racing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2015, 05:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Camshaft designed for roll racing?

We see the popularity in roll racing vs. drag racing particularly with the decline in the availability of tracks. Well, even tracks are offering roll racing.

So what would be a good roll racing camshaft and combo for an LS1?
Old 11-01-2015, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Either a PRC220 with 228R cam on a bit wider 114 or 115 LS
or a max cha ching Mamo set up that maximizes cylinder pressure with a broad flat torque band.
Even some AI or TEA GM heads with a Kip Fabre low lash solid roller
Your options really are unlimited but your pocket book may not be.....
Old 11-01-2015, 07:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What's the rest of the mods...including gear and trans?
Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 598 Likes on 413 Posts

This combo here..... it's nice to see a combo that stomps cobras from a roll but yet still affordable
due to running the factory heads.
Old car but it was a beast from a roll.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/vehicle-classifieds/1481008-2000-camaro-ss-m6-65k-miles-cam-only-car-11-900-video-inside-philadelphia.html
Old 11-01-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Vindicator cam
Old 11-01-2015, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd assume you would want a huge cam that makes peak from 4k to 7.5k.
If you are roll racing chances are you would already be starting out in that powerband anyway. Who cares about low end and driveablity.
Old 11-01-2015, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix C
We see the popularity in roll racing vs. drag racing particularly with the decline in the availability of tracks. Well, even tracks are offering roll racing.

So what would be a good roll racing camshaft and combo for an LS1?
I think the true reason for the popularity of roll racing is because people don't want to actually set their cars up properly for dig racing. They would just rather throw a bunch of hp mods at it and not worry about suspension.
Old 11-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Roll racing... biggest cam and gear you can get in there.

And a turbo.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lcfdvette
I think the true reason for the popularity of roll racing is because people don't want to actually set their cars up properly for dig racing. They would just rather throw a bunch of hp mods at it and not worry about suspension.
Meh...probably truth in what your saying to an extent, however tracks out here are getting ridiculous with their prices and schedule. Being able to run in decent weather is limited, expensive and comes with asinine waits.

1/8 and 1/4 mile stuff is still a blast to me...but the track rules just take the fun out of it if you have a fast street car(Im not putting a cage, fire extinguisher etc etc in my car). To each his own.

The roll racing events they put on for now is loose, run what you brung, talk some **** and have a good time. Pretty much everything that track racing out here isn't anymore. Airport roll on's are just another venue to compete and have fun at
Old 11-01-2015, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CarlostheBarbarian
Meh...probably truth in what your saying to an extent, however tracks out here are getting ridiculous with their prices and schedule. Being able to run in decent weather is limited, expensive and comes with asinine waits.

1/8 and 1/4 mile stuff is still a blast to me...but the track rules just take the fun out of it if you have a fast street car(Im not putting a cage, fire extinguisher etc etc in my car). To each his own.

The roll racing events they put on for now is loose, run what you brung, talk some **** and have a good time. Pretty much everything that track racing out here isn't anymore. Airport roll on's are just another venue to compete and have fun at
I understand what your saying, and nothing against roll racing. To me it just takes some of the actual racing out if it. No launch technique and so on. I'm not a professional racer so that's just my opinion. But seems like everyone you try to race says no when you ask for a dig. Apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

Quick Reply: Camshaft designed for roll racing?