Sponsored by:

New car, blown motor, new build

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 03:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car, blown motor, new build

Hi guys, Im new here on the forums.

I was wondering if i could get some help/suggestions from you guys here on the forums, but first let me tell you my story.

A few months ago I bought a 2002 trans am ws6 convertible at an auction. The car was fairly well modified with a lsx 454, a maggie blower, some sort of race preped turbo 400, I think a ford 9" rear end, bmr tubular k member, roll cage, bmr torsion bar (hangs next to the tranny), methanol alcohol system, lingenfelter MAF sensor, some sort of small lingenfelter control box(it says crank in, crank out, cam in, cam out etc. on it) dynatech headers, and a massive like 5" exhaust. Thats all I could remember for now.

So the car didnt start at the auction because the starter was removed from it. I managed to contact the seller and he was very vague about the condition of the car, but i also didnt tell him that i bought it (doesnt really matter at the end of it). So I knew the car had some sort of issues but for the $12K CDN i paid i figured id take a swing at it.

skipping ahead abit, the car would barely turn over and would be really jammed at certain times ( could not turn over the crank with a bar) and when i got it started once it sounded bad.

So i took out the engine I what i found was a valve dropped into the cylinder, got smashed around to the point where the flat part of the valve went through the piston and into the rotating assembly. Then the stick part of the valve bounced around to the point where it got sucked back into the intake manifold and went into another cylinder (where i found it when i removed the head) smashed that piston as well, gouged the cylinder walls and was possibly the reason why the cylinder wall is cracked.

Then when I took the oil pan off and the motor mounts i noticed a hole in the side of the block. Along with a few bent rods and more pistons being damaged on the bottoms, thanks to this huge valve bagging around

So basically I bought a car from someone who was probably at a pinks all out event and the guy just kept ragging on the car.

and as a side note, compression was not lowered the maggie had a 3.30 pulley on is so im guessing it was making about 7-9 psi.

So im going to take the block in and see what the cost would be to resleeve to a 427. I have a feeling the its going to be too expensive so im looking at options to build up a cheap 7-800 hp engine with my maggie on it.

any suggestion guys ?

Ive been looking at building a 408 out of a Lq4/Lq9 motor and porting out a set of L92 heads. But im not sure how things work in terms of the wiring harnesses of if my maggie blower on the lsx heads will bolt up to the L92 heads ?

Thank for any input guys and I hope you guys dont mind me asking a zillion questions over the next couple months.
Old 12-15-2015, 09:03 AM
Teching In

anybody ?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:09 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

What exactly are you asking? If the blower will bolt up?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:32 AM
Teching In

First im wondering if the blower that fit the lsx heads will work with L92 or even LSA heads ?

Im also looking for advice on what type of block to use for 7-800 hp build. should i go the ls1 route or should i just stick with the cheaper iron block route and go lq4/lq9 with a 408 stroker kit ?
Old 12-15-2015, 09:48 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by wiseman89
First im wondering if the blower that fit the lsx heads will work with L92 or even LSA heads ?

Im also looking for advice on what type of block to use for 7-800 hp build. should i go the ls1 route or should i just stick with the cheaper iron block route and go lq4/lq9 with a 408 stroker kit ?
As far as the blower, you may want to get with the manufacturer and see what they say.

For the block, I would recommend iron for a power adder application, unless you're considering an LSA/LS9 block. A 408ci iron block would be a good choice as plenty of guys have made over 1000whp with them, but it takes a good builder. The best parts in the world will still fail if the engine is machines and assembled poorly.
Old 12-16-2015, 02:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah you can't resleeve the lsx block you have reliably if there's a hole in it.

A 408 sounds about right and will be the most affordable option
Old 12-16-2015, 06:59 AM
Teching In

I called Magnuson about the supercharger.

I couldn't get good info out of them about what heads the blower would bolt up to but the guy did say that it would only work with the belt line accessories on that motor.

So can I take the water pump, alternator etc. Off my lsx and put them on a lq4/9 ?

So far I still can't find info on if the ports will match up.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics would hep at this point.

I find it hard to believe Maggy couldn't tell you what the blower fits. If you have it off take some pics.

I wanna see the engine carnage as well. & did you ask the previous owner what his screen name was on here? LOL

I'd sell the SC & build a turbo system so fast it would make your head spin. Look at the pile of parts before you & contemplate the errors that were made.

For what you can sell the SC for you could get a motor & build a turbo system that would easily meat your goals. 700+ is a HCI 6.0L Turbo. No need to build a stoker at that point.

Last edited by gtfoxy; 12-16-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Ok so i added a picture of what a currently have, it just has to be approved. pretty much the only things that i can reuse is the supercharger, the nice stout oil pan, and the belt accessories.

If i went turbo, is there a pre made kit i can buy. I wanted to stick with the supercharger route because it would probably be the easiest and i already have it.

And do you guys thing i can use my supercharger of a LQ4/9 with l92 heads ?
and the guy at magnuson said It has to be with the specific belt line accessories that i have now.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:11 PM
Teching In

and do you guys think my 3 speed turbo 400 will be a good match with a turbo system ?
Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 PM
Teching In

Also I cant find specific info on my lsx heads that were on my lsx454. will those heads only work on the lsx454 and ls7 engines ?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lsx heads will fit any ls block. The blower you have if for rectangular port heads will fit any rectangular port head, I think the ls7 head is different. They wont fit cathedral port heads or c5r's etc. High compression isn't a bad thing for boost, if its built and tuned right a hi comp boost build is nasty. In turbo applications it makes it nice if you have a huge slower to spool turbo, turbo spools faster with higher boost and the engine wont be a complete pig out of boost. When it comes to turbo or blower it all comes to preference. What do you wanna build? That's the question you need to awnser to your self. As for the 400 turbo, what are your intentions for the car? Mean street beast or daily driver with a lot of punch? If longevity and mpg are any issue get a over drive trans or built t56 to keep rpms down while cruising. Running that engine at high rpm all day will wear it out faster. Just my .02 cents on some of your questions hope it helps.

Originally Posted by wiseman89
Also I cant find specific info on my lsx heads that were on my lsx454. will those heads only work on the lsx454 and ls7 engines ?
Old 12-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Teching In

hey thanks for the reply,

This car has been initially set up to be an animal, and im sure it was when the superchaged lsx454 was running. I want to maintain the beastlyness but I will have to get a new motor built.

I was reading my lsx/ls7 heads require a 4.1" bore size at minimum, so i was thinking these heads are only good for an ls7 or lsx 427 or 454 motor.

So do you think my supercharger will work with L92 or LSA heads ? im not sure if those are cathedral or not ??

and this car will be a sunday cruiser, maybe take it to work a here and there. i just have no idea what a turbo 400 will make the engine rev at.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what the 3rd gear is in that th400 nor what your rear gear is to figure that up for you. The l92 and LSA heads are rectangular port your blower should work with. The 6.0 and bigger blocks are 4" bore and bigger. You could source a 6.0 truck block and have it bored to that bore I believe but dont quote me on that. Also if those lsx heads dropped a valve I can imagine they are in useable shape as the combustion chamber has to be beat to hell and back im sure. I would leave the th400 trans for your needs. Its already there so why not. Oh I bet if that thing was tuned half way right it was a flat out animal. Im sure it had a high lift aggressive ramp rate cam and a valve spring gave it up and dropped the valve sad day I bet that was.

Quick Reply: New car, blown motor, new build