Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yep, another oil pressure issue

Old 01-16-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yep, another oil pressure issue

This is a 2002 2500 with LQ4. A company truck that I bought for an employee to drive. Has over 290k. Actually runs pretty smooth with plenty of power. Sooo.

Today had been going just fine. Fixed the leak at my heater core to hose location and started the truck to make sure the leak was fixed. Noticed it was ticking louder than a normal high mileage tick. Looked at stock pressure gauge and its on the bottom. Zero pressure. Shut it off, check the oil, start it back up. No pressure. Raise the rpm a little and the gauge kind of bumps its way to about 25psi and the tick gets much more quiet. Sounds like a lifter ticking. Let it go back to idle and the pressure holds for a few seconds, then kind of starts to stumble and drops to zero, tick gets loud again. So yes, the pressure is down, its not just the stock crappy gauge.

I really don't want to pull this for a rebuild. I know it wouldn't hurt. But I will be gone all next week and my employee needs a truck for work. I have read about the ATF being added which helps swell the o-ring seal in case its dry and cracked. It has new 15w40 in it now. Just changed it about a week ago. Oil looks clean and clear. It doesn't appear to be a sludge issue in the pan. The oil would get dirty again pretty quickly.

Does this sound like an o-ring issue? Ideas? If I try the ATF trick, which one are you guys using?
Old 01-16-2016, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Pickup tube O ring or it lost a cam bearing. My LQ4 was sitting at zip near idle and would jump to about 10 PSI at 2K RPM. My cam retainer plate gasket was blown out and the cam bearing was resting comfortably on the camshaft lobe.

Drain the oil and look for copper sparkles, that will tell you if the cam bearing spun.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Yea I know all about checking for metal ect. I'm just new to the GenIII pickup o-ring issues. I have heard several things can go wrong with them.

I went ahead and added 1qt of ATF to it. Drained a little oil so not to overfill the pan. And heres what confuses me a little more. Started it up and it went right to 35psi. Let it idle and it dropped after about 5 seconds. Went ahead and drove it and it ran right at 40psi the whole time. When at a stop and at idle, it would come down again to near or at 0. Give it a little gas and it jumped right up. Drove it for about 5 miles just to get the water to temp or close. Sat idle in my drive for a few minutes and the pressure went from 35 down to 30 and stayed. The gauge does have a little movement before it comes down. Kind of like a bad actor getting shot in a bad movie and then dies. LOL

I'm going to see what the trany fluid does to help it if anything. I'll drain the oil later sometime to see if there is anything in it and if there is then I will cut the filter open and check that too for larger pieces.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just yank the oil pan and put an o-ring in it. It really isn't that bad a job to do. With that kind of mileage it is almost guaranteed the o-ring is rock hard and sucking air by.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Go to walmart and buy some TransX, that will swell the seal up until you can replace it. Put 3-4 ozs in. IOt takes some time for the oring to swell back up, its not instant. Good Luck
Old 01-16-2016, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

I'll get some trans-x. I might even have some in the garage. It will be a couple weeks before I can get into it.
Old 01-17-2016, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

I couldn't wait to try and fix the issue. Dropped the pan and installed a new pick up o-ring. Now it has over 55psi at idle. No bouncing around like it was before. Rock solid.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you post a pic of your old o-ring...
Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a red fell-pro O-ring. I hope there good?
Old 01-18-2016, 07:03 AM
TECH Resident

I tossed it. It was pretty hard. I would say about 90% hardness. It broke in a spot when pulling it off the tube.

I also used the red Felpro oring. It should be fine.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

was it deformed (i.e. cross-section was not round any more)...?
Old 01-18-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, the outside edge and inside edges were flat, not round anymore. So this allows air to get sucked in.

You would think that GM could have designed this better. Maybe just a flat plate with a gasket. O-rings just get hard and go bad with heat and oil.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's awesome when a problem gets solved. Congratulations!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxman20
Yea, the outside edge and inside edges were flat, not round anymore. So this allows air to get sucked in.

You would think that GM could have designed this better. Maybe just a flat plate with a gasket. O-rings just get hard and go bad with heat and oil.
Ever wonder why thee are virtually zero failures on factory assembled engines? Why these o-ring failures never seem to occur until someone replacing parts? A lot of peeps don't realize there is more than one o-ring size and what you need depends on what p/u tube you're using. I'm pretty sure this is the root cause of most of these so-called o-ring failures. Some tubes have one "step" while others have multiple steps, and the o-ring you use must fit/seal on the correct step. There was a really good write-up here a couple years ago, if you're industrious with the search feature, you might find it...
Old 01-18-2016, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What Russ said.. Additionally, I find that on rebuilds, changing oil pans on swaps, that the tube support brkt can twist the tube, and side load the o'ring.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:16 PM
TECH Resident

This was an original O-ring, but it had a lot of miles. I'm glad it was the fix and I hope it helps others with engines that have never been opened.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

This was an original O-ring, but it had a lot of miles. I'm glad it was the fix and I hope it helps others with engines that have never been opened.
My engine was never touched and it failed @ 38k....................
Old 01-19-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Yea, just like everything sold, it can fail at anytime. I sold brand new Ford trucks when they came out with the new 6.0 diesel. I had one that didn't make it 5 miles when the owner took deliver. Engine blew up.

And stuff like this is why I am about to buy my wife a new vehicle and will most likely go to a dealer and manufacture that have a free lifetime powertrain warranty. A lot of them around my area are doing this now. I wish GM would. I think they will have to sooner than later though or else they will be losing potential customers to the other makes.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I had the same issue in my 03 2500 with 175k on it, very delayed pressure on startup and only 20psi cold idle. Replaced it with the GM red o-ring and raises to 40psi cold startup and slight tick is gone.

I was VERY worried that it was a bearing...SO happy it was as simple as the o-ring.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Yea, just like everything sold, it can fail at anytime. I sold brand new Ford trucks when they came out with the new 6.0 diesel. I had one that didn't make it 5 miles when the owner took deliver. Engine blew up.

And stuff like this is why I am about to buy my wife a new vehicle and will most likely go to a dealer and manufacture that have a free lifetime powertrain warranty. A lot of them around my area are doing this now. I wish GM would. I think they will have to sooner than later though or else they will be losing potential customers to the other makes.
Friend of mine bought a ford 6.0 pickup, turbo failed in 10 miles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yep, another oil pressure issue