Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016 | 08:02 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

All this CRAP over one person. I personally have installed over ten sets of these. Not one complaint. There are 4 local racers that have them and their oil filters are fine. We have been monitoring this and we see nothing.
Old 07-26-2016 | 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dmracing
All this CRAP over one person. I personally have installed over ten sets of these. Not one complaint. There are 4 local racers that have them and their oil filters are fine. We have been monitoring this and we see nothing.
Do you or your support group have any pictures of the trunion sets or oil filters "We have been monitoring"?
Old 07-26-2016 | 08:26 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

You want pics of clean filters? If your not happy, just say so. No one forced you to use them. You've said your peace. Now let's get moving on.
Old 07-26-2016 | 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I have posted pictures of rockers from an engine with clean filters, it all looks like something that is working well. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the filters

Kurt
Old 07-26-2016 | 08:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dmracing
You want pics of clean filters? If your not happy, just say so. No one forced you to use them. You've said your peace. Now let's get moving on.
Solidified evidence to support your findings, rather than internet marketing to support the product your selling in the parts classified section.
Old 07-26-2016 | 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 427
I have posted pictures of rockers from an engine with clean filters, it all looks like something that is working well. Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the filters

Kurt
And I appreciate the photo's you provided, however I'm not exactly confident in your sample quantity.

If your confident that's all that matter's.
Old 07-26-2016 | 09:09 PM
TECH Junkie

I have only done a few sets personally, but I doubt the product is the control variable as they have only made two versions and both have run successful. I have never met Chris, but I'm glad he has come out with this product as I love the lightweight rockers!

Kurt
Originally Posted by brobinson216
And I appreciate the photo's you provided, however I'm not exactly confident in your sample quantity.

If your confident that's all that matter's.
Old 07-26-2016 | 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Great, first time out of the bag and I think I see something.
Old 07-27-2016 | 06:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slogo

What are you trying to say here?

CHE and Straub upgraded rockers are the only way to go. I am glad to see this thread trying to move forward.
Old 07-27-2016 | 07:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I have one set of the CHE rockers in a test car also, very nice piece that uses the same style as the Straub unit. The drawback with the CHE is they will only install them in house, so your rockers must be shipped into California adding down time.

Kurt
Old 07-27-2016 | 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slogo

I see that CHE doesn't install their bronze bushing flush to the rocker arm. It protrudes a little past the rocker arm body.
Old 07-27-2016 | 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

It's a different design from CHE. I had a set of them in my old race car. Good parts. Pricy. Spirolocks.
Old 07-27-2016 | 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Ugh now I got to rip my Comp crap out
Old 07-27-2016 | 05:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by treybadd
What are you trying to say here?

CHE and Straub upgraded rockers are the only way to go. I am glad to see this thread trying to move forward.
I wasn't saying anything except my parts are staying in my closet way to long,
every time I see some thread about some kind of issue, I get all paranoid and
go check my stuff out.
It was pretty funny in my head, at that time, why? because the beer said so.
Old 07-30-2016 | 03:01 PM
Teching In

Ugh, its never easy.

Is there any difference between Straub, Smith Bros, BTR, or the CHE versions? Smith Bros look like they have the older style oil channels (picture on BTR website).

Has anyone called Comp to get their take on the wear?

I'll pull my comps to take a look. Just need to decide if I'm going to do it before or after the next track day (probably after). Mine have low mileage (probably only 4k) but probably 8 HPDE's. Stock redline so not very high rpm but a lot of time near redline. Cam is a 228r.

I did notice some metal flakes last oil filter disassembly so the trunions probably explains it. Not thrilled about the possibility of fix it only to replace with another type of debris.
Old 07-31-2016 | 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

I have only worked with the Straub and CHE brand Bushing type, both are working very well so far. The basic function is the same with some minor difference in the parts mechanically. The CHE has a slightly larger shaft diameter. It adds a little more surface area but on car running shows no difference in function so far. The Straub is the only one that offers a kit that can be installed in your rockers, CHE requires you send the rockers in for install.
When the bearing style has gone bad on my engines it shows up on the engine magnets looking like black dust, I have not seen any flakes. I would rather no debris by choice, but if I must have some I'd rather it not be bearing steel

Kurt
Originally Posted by CR500
Ugh, its never easy.

Is there any difference between Straub, Smith Bros, BTR, or the CHE versions? Smith Bros look like they have the older style oil channels (picture on BTR website).

Has anyone called Comp to get their take on the wear?

I'll pull my comps to take a look. Just need to decide if I'm going to do it before or after the next track day (probably after). Mine have low mileage (probably only 4k) but probably 8 HPDE's. Stock redline so not very high rpm but a lot of time near redline. Cam is a 228r.

I did notice some metal flakes last oil filter disassembly so the trunions probably explains it. Not thrilled about the possibility of fix it only to replace with another type of debris.
Old 07-31-2016 | 08:19 AM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

Kurt, I'm asking you directly as I know you being one of the best and honest living engine builders around... would you use this trunion kit on a darton dry sleeved 430 plus cubic inch motor with 245 TFS cathedral heads or would be better off saving up and buying jesel
The car will be driven 3 times a week, raced once a month at the track, hydraulic roller and capable of running 10s with a M6.. also go be a car I want to drive once a year up to bowling green Kentucky which is 4 hours north of me.
Old 07-31-2016 | 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

I've been testing these on street driven pro touring type cars with great results, driving and racing. I will still be watching them closely, but I would use them in your case for sure.

Kurt
Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
Kurt, I'm asking you directly as I know you being one of the best and honest living engine builders around... would you use this trunion kit on a darton dry sleeved 430 plus cubic inch motor with 245 TFS cathedral heads or would be better off saving up and buying jesel
The car will be driven 3 times a week, raced once a month at the track, hydraulic roller and capable of running 10s with a M6.. also go be a car I want to drive once a year up to bowling green Kentucky which is 4 hours north of me.
Old 07-31-2016 | 09:43 AM
TECH Veteran
10 Year Member

Thanks Mr.Kurt
Old 07-31-2016 | 05:39 PM
Teching In

Ok, that takes CHE off the table leaving Straub and Smith Bro. I'll have to see if they have different oil passages. I have hardness testing equipment but I'm not buying both to see which has harder shafts! I could also EDS the bronze to find the differences in composition...

I did read where someone lightly chamfered the leading edge before pressing together to minimize the chance of peeling off any bronze.

Haven't seen any black dust on the magnet. Bummer, wonder where the flakes came from.

Thanks

Originally Posted by 427
I have only worked with the Straub and CHE brand Bushing type, both are working very well so far. The basic function is the same with some minor difference in the parts mechanically. The CHE has a slightly larger shaft diameter. It adds a little more surface area but on car running shows no difference in function so far. The Straub is the only one that offers a kit that can be installed in your rockers, CHE requires you send the rockers in for install.
When the bearing style has gone bad on my engines it shows up on the engine magnets looking like black dust, I have not seen any flakes. I would rather no debris by choice, but if I must have some I'd rather it not be bearing steel

Kurt

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?