Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by customblackbird
interesting that u says this... I have yet to hear any negative feedback on straub kits till now. I put 1k on my car this summer and that’s 1k of beating on it every chance i get. I drained 3 qts and found nothing in the oil. 10w30 mobil 1 synthetic and purolator filter.
Look back in the thread. Those 3,000 miles might be enough to filter out all of the brass that initially wears off of the bushings. That's is why I'm asking to dump the oil early. I doubt it will take even 50 miles. Dump it after 20 minutes of run time and really study the oil in the drain pan. See if it looks normal or if it has a gold sheen to it. Then, drain it out of the drain pan and see if there are large chunks in the drain pan. Just curious what someone else finds. Oil is cheap.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:50 AM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I will be doing a spring change this week on a set of these trunions that have 13,000 miles on them over the last two summers.

Will report back the findings

Tim
Yes please...that would be great.

I fully expect "some" gold in the pan, but only a fine powder/color at best. (and very little)
I have rebuilt gear boxes at work that have bronze babbitt bushing/bearings where they have 24/7/300+ days a year runtime.
Yes, issues occur when the oil is low or even the wrong type as some oils don't have the additives and will eat/attack the bronze.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My "shop press". $30 @ autozone
Attached Thumbnails Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-20170622_034914.jpg   Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-20170626_122858.jpg   Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?-20170626_140115.jpg  
Old 11-15-2017, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 123 Likes on 110 Posts

Got'em....now to find time
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM
Launching!

I will be doing a spring change this week on a set of these trunions that have 13,000 miles on them over the last two summers.

Tim
Any updates?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood
You do know who Kurt Urban is right? He has probably put more engines together and had more experience with LS engines than anyone in this industry. If he felt that was the best way to go, then that was the best way to go.

The needle bearings that encapsulate a LS stock rocker arm do not rotate 360* like needle bearings that encapsulate a lifter axle. Two totally different applications. The same needles are loaded over and over again with a stock LS rocker arm versus a roller lifter that "rolls" and allows the bearings to rotate 360*.

There are many manufacturers that now sell roller lifters that utilize a bushing to encapsulate the axle on a roller lifter. They are using bushings because they spread the load out over a larger surface area and thus can handle much more spring pressure and RPM. They are superior to a needle bearing in this aspect which is why using a bushing to encapsulate a LS rocker arm trunion is a better idea. Since that bearing or bushing is loaded over and over again, it is better to use a bushing that spreads that load out over a larger amount of area and doesn't concentrate load in a smaller amount of surface area as seen in Kurt's pictures.

I would be willing to bet that if you were to examine the trunions on a street/strip engine with moderate valve lift and duration and one that has over 10K miles you'd see very similar wear. The physics involving that wear doesn't change no matter if it's a street/strip application or a road course application. Yes the road course engine may have more high RPM cycles, but the load is still similar and still concentrated in the same area.

I'll let Kurt give his experiences with street/strip type engines and not try to put the cart too far in front of the horse, but I am willing to bet he has seen the same wear in less demanding applications.
Roller tips don't actually roll across the valve. They slide. And trunnion aren't going to start rotating a full 360* just from swapping from needle bearings to bushings. They never rotated 360* to begin with. That won't change just from swapping to bronze bushings.

So where does this statement about 360* of rotation come from?
Old 12-18-2017, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by midnightbluS10
Roller tips don't actually roll across the valve. They slide. And trunnion aren't going to start rotating a full 360* just from swapping from needle bearings to bushings. They never rotated 360* to begin with. That won't change just from swapping to bronze bushings.

So where does this statement about 360* of rotation come from?
He’s not talking about the rocker arms. He’s talking about lifters.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

With the stock rockers the rocker in your hand won't rotate 360 degrees spinning it. With the trunion upgrade the rocker rotates 360 degrees in your hand. Obviously the rockers don't rotate 360 degrees on the motor. If they did you would have a lot more to worry about than the rockers.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! I finally finished reading this entire thread.

My machine shop recommended the OE rockers with the OE bearings and trunnions. This is on my 418 LS3 with heavy double springs, stainless valves, and high lift cam.
I ran this info by them and they said I can do whatever I want, but they have more problems with other internal part failures than they do with the rockers and trunnions.
In their opinion the OE needles fail due to lake of maintenance and high mileage.

IDK, part of me wants to jump on the wagon and get me some, other part says heck with it. If I'm going to be pulling the rockers off and inspecting them every 5 to 10k miles I may as well use the OE bearings and just replace them every 20k or so. Just do it like part of a tune up. Suppose I could just plan on doing it every winter when the car is down. Not that difficult, and really not that expensive.

My other concern about the bushings is the difference in friction. Seems like the bushings would create more friction than rollers.
Again, I don't know. Just thinkin.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gasoholic
Wow! I finally finished reading this entire thread.

My machine shop recommended the OE rockers with the OE bearings and trunnions. This is on my 418 LS3 with heavy double springs, stainless valves, and high lift cam.
I ran this info by them and they said I can do whatever I want, but they have more problems with other internal part failures than they do with the rockers and trunnions.
In their opinion the OE needles fail due to lake of maintenance and high mileage.

IDK, part of me wants to jump on the wagon and get me some, other part says heck with it. If I'm going to be pulling the rockers off and inspecting them every 5 to 10k miles I may as well use the OE bearings and just replace them every 20k or so. Just do it like part of a tune up. Suppose I could just plan on doing it every winter when the car is down. Not that difficult, and really not that expensive.

My other concern about the bushings is the difference in friction. Seems like the bushings would create more friction than rollers.
Again, I don't know. Just thinkin.
Bronze bushings have been used in heavy duty diesel engines for a very long time and they are very durable. I have been running the Struab bushings since the beginning with out any problems at all. Do not use OE bearings in the rockers... Take your pick from Straub or CHE and don't give it a second thought.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jontall
Bronze bushings have been used in heavy duty diesel engines for a very long time and they are very durable. I have been running the Struab bushings since the beginning with out any problems at all. Do not use OE bearings in the rockers... Take your pick from Straub or CHE and don't give it a second thought.
Yep. Actually in the same end of the connecting rod. Even with their high compression, they last over a million miles
Old 01-12-2018, 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jontall

Just curious,

I went with the Straub bushings after reading through this thread, but how many miles do have you put on them since install? Is it a cruiser or strip car? No one so far has put down what kind of wear or miles they've put on since their install that I'm aware of.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Launching!

Tim

Originally Posted by NEstyle
Any updates?
We would all love to hear from you.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

I installed mine with some sockets and a vise that wasn't bolted down to my workbench yet.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Looking to buy another bushing retrofit kit for another motor build. I read that the Summit brand are fakes? Looking to purchase soon as I just disassembled a extra set and cleaned up for bushing install. Is it still best to purchase from straub directly? Who has the cheapest price?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Don't do cheap; do GOOD!
Old 03-11-2018, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a CHE kit. Only has about 300 miles on it, no issues and no signs of bronze material in the oil. Super easy to install with this http://www.powerhouseproducts.com/ph...tall-toolhtml/

I did use the GM install procedure to install this kit, I will report back when I get 3000 miles on the kit, I'll pull the valve covers and check the wear on a few bushings.
Old 03-11-2018, 11:40 AM
TECH Addict

your
Originally Posted by qweedqwag
I installed a CHE kit. Only has about 300 miles on it, no issues and no signs of bronze material in the oil. Super easy to install with this http://www.powerhouseproducts.com/ph...tall-toolhtml/

I did use the GM install procedure to install this kit, I will report back when I get 3000 miles on the kit, I'll pull the valve covers and check the wear on a few bushings.
The powerhouse tool works awesome. I’ve use mine for hundreds of kits
Old 03-11-2018, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Don't do cheap; do GOOD!
thats why u went with a straub kit on my first set. I was just wondering, found my first kit on eBay and was able to use a coupon to get like $20 off or something. Having a hard time finding the kits now besides straubs site and with so many fakes out there it’s hard to tell.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:04 PM
On The Tree

If it's on eBay there's a very good chance it's a knock off, especially if it's cheaper. Just buy the kit from Straub's site.

Quick Reply: Straub Bushing Trunion Kits?