Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HCI nitrous advice for newbie.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HCI nitrous advice for newbie.

Hey guys new to this so bare with me. Just picked up a 99 ta and started doing some work to it. The goal for this weekend racer is low 10's to high 9's with a hci nitrous setup on the stock bottom end which looks obtainable from what ive read. Need help from you gurus out there!

What is done or in the works.
Lid, lt headers, slp loudmouths, hvac delete, egr delete, serious weight reduction, slicks n skinnies, th400, strange s60 rear 3.73, ls6 intake, coils front springs back, and some other stuff im probably forgetting.

Need help looking for h/c and nitrous system for lets say a 150 shot to be safe.
And of course supporting mods such as fuel pump, injectors, stall, oil pump etc.
Just want something fun for the track till the motor gets tired for a LQ build.
Any advice or setup will help alot! Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails HCI nitrous advice for newbie.-img_35831.jpg   HCI nitrous advice for newbie.-img_36361.jpg   HCI nitrous advice for newbie.-img_36371.jpg   HCI nitrous advice for newbie.-img_358512.jpg  
Old 02-10-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

How much are you willing to spend on the HCI and nitrous?
Old 02-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Teching In

Nothing to ridiculous because i dont expect the motor to last?
Figuring a full nitrous setup is 1000ish and heads cam 1500 ish 2.5-3k?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

There are lots of ways to achieve your goals here. We're in the same situation so I'll just speak from experience and my research.

On the nitrous system call Nitrous Outlet for advice. They will provide you with everything that you need for a complete, safe and effective system.

On the H/C/I call Brian Tooley. Again, lots of ways to go here but he'll fix you up with all that you need.

Scott
Old 02-10-2016, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

To be perfectly honest if you don't think the motor will last long id stay away from doing the HCI, cause if and when it lets go it could destroy the heads and cam along with it. Thats what happened to me when my LS1 threw a bearing....trashed everything except the block itself, and the heads needed some cleaning up too. The nitrous is no biggie since you could just swap it over to the new build. Just a thought and/or suggestion.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're looking for a good aftermarket casting that's not going to break the bank, look into the TFS as cast 220cc heads. Brian Tooley has them at the best price I've found, and he can also hand port them for a pretty small cost. With his hand porting, they are on par, if not better, than the CNC'd TFS 215cc heads. I'd also enlist him to spec out the cam and valvetrain components. One hand in the pot is much better than having multiple hands in the pot. Less chance of catching a nasty disease that way.

Nitrous Outlet and Nitrous Express are both sponsors on here, and both companies have great products and customer service. Both vendors are very active on this forum and are there to answer any of your questions.

As far as making a statement like, "I don't expect the motor to last", I'm not following you there. In heads/cam/intake form, unless you have an absolute idiot tune the car, it should live a long, long life. Once you introduce nitrous to the setup, just make sure you're reading the plugs and tune accordingly. Start off in small doses and don't go all John Wayne on us and throw a 300 shot at it right off the bat. Work your way up slowly and you should be fine. No reason at all the motor shouldn't live a very long life even with nitrous.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:22 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replys guys. your right though i think im just gonna forget the heads maybe port and polish the stock and put lifters push rods and springs and just do a cam and nitrous.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:27 PM
Teching In

As far as making a statement like, "I don't expect the motor to last", I'm not following you there. In heads/cam/intake form, unless you have an absolute idiot tune the car, it should live a long, long life. Once you introduce nitrous to the setup, just make sure you're reading the plugs and tune accordingly. Start off in small doses and don't go all John Wayne on us and throw a 300 shot at it right off the bat. Work your way up slowly and you should be fine. No reason at all the motor shouldn't live a very long life even with nitrous.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info bro. What im trying to say is that ive read alot about the bottom end not lasting more than 550+ hp so with a hci setup plus 150 or 200 shot that should be over that no? But i also heard that a stock ls1 bottom end can withstand over 600 no problem all day.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the car is in good running condition along with a good tune, proper plugs, fuel, timing, etc, etc....it will last a good long time. But I'd go no higher than a 150 shot if it were mine
Old 02-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Im also thinkin custom grind nitrous cam but im sure they have off the shelf custom grind ones already made
Old 02-10-2016, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Yeah im gonna pm Brian Tooley for all the info thanks guys!
Old 02-11-2016, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by inyczoddjobz
Im also thinkin custom grind nitrous cam but im sure they have off the shelf custom grind ones already made
You really don't need a specific nitrous cam until you start spraying a 300+ shot. I would seriously talk to Brian Tooley. He's a super nice guy and he will not lead you astray, I can promise you that.

Quick Reply: HCI nitrous advice for newbie.