Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did I come up short?? 487hp is not 500+

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Just from the #'s, not even seeing the graph, I think you did pretty darn good. I also don't think too many,if any, 500rwhp N/A 346 builds are budget. Around stock compression also. Good job man. If I wanted to hit that goal..better heads. Then work around that.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Just from the #'s, not even seeing the graph, I think you did pretty darn good. I also don't think too many,if any, 500rwhp N/A 346 builds are budget. Around stock compression also. Good job man. If I wanted to hit that goal..better heads. Then work around that.
I will hit it - and when I do I will post the recipe for it and more importantly - the budget! Goal is to keep it reasonable.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
frustrated because I have neither - car doesnt drive too well and also missed the number - I was out to prove a point - you can have a 500+ LS on a reasonable budget and skills if you follow XYZ recipe.

How many posts are there about people wanting 500? but there isnt a LOT on how to get there. I wanted (and still do) to change that.

basically i tried to "have my cake and eat it too" but someone smashed my head in the cake before I could take a bite. Then they took the damn thing away leaving me with nothing - AND looking dumb. lol
I laughed out loud at this and got funny looks from co-workers. I don't think you ended up looking dumb at all. You may have reached the limit of stock castings on 346CI with your cam and intake. Aftermarket heads do have some design advantages, not the least of which is port efficiency (flow/volume)

You might still find some parasitic losses, or you might just need better heads. if your HG truly is .051", going to a .041" MLS will bump compression about 0.3-0.5-ish and reduce detonation potential. The compression might also improve the driveability of the car. Certainly, larger cams like more compression.

Honestly, I salute your effort here. you must have paid attention to a thousand details that normally get overlooked to do as well as you did
Old 03-04-2016, 03:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I laughed out loud at this and got funny looks from co-workers. I don't think you ended up looking dumb at all. You may have reached the limit of stock castings on 346CI with your cam and intake. Aftermarket heads do have some design advantages, not the least of which is port efficiency (flow/volume)

You might still find some parasitic losses, or you might just need better heads. if your HG truly is .051", going to a .041" MLS will bump compression about 0.3-0.5-ish and reduce detonation potential. The compression might also improve the driveability of the car. Certainly, larger cams like more compression.

Honestly, I salute your effort here. you must have paid attention to a thousand details that normally get overlooked to do as well as you did
I tell you what - I sure as **** gave it a solid try that's for sure. I think had I gone with 1-7/8 headers, OE rockers and a electric waterpump I would have made it.

I think I might grab another set of gaskets after my race. First I will measure the PTV and get gaskets accordingly to really tighten it down. thinking about .060" and .080" on PTV for intake and exhaust, thoughts? (I could have it backwards, but I'm a little too tired to think) Also not sure if I should go to the OE rockers with trunion upgrade. Road racing is a lot of high R's and I worry those will add a lot to wear on the guides. (Which are stock too). Just don't want to spend another boatload of cash on pushrods again...

How would thinner gaskets - raising compression - help REDUCE detonation tho?

Everyone has been giving me a hard time about why it took me 2-3 months to do H/C/I and what not - the reason why is the details. Took me forever to figure out and nail down properly. BUT now that the numbers are in, some of them have been asking for help. Nice change of pace, and I'm stoked I did it. But as it goes - need more! lol

Last edited by nskyline34; 03-04-2016 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:12 PM

Tightening up quench helps control detonation, because there is less gap between the piston and head, which forces more of the mixture into the actual combustion chamber. Better geometry. That's why it helps, even though compression goes UP. Too tight, and you can have collision issues. If your bottom end is stock, your pistons come out .006", which with a .041" HG makes quench .035", which is typically what gets recommended by the experts.

However, if you go to a thinner HG, with your shorter travel lifters, you'll need to be careful. You'll pick up .010" preload. Should still be OK, but be aware.

On the rockers, I think you'd be better getting lighter valves than you would to change the rockers. That will do wonders for valvetrain stability.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:29 PM
On The Tree

Tightening up quench helps control detonation, because there is less gap between the piston and head, which forces more of the mixture into the actual combustion chamber. Better geometry. That's why it helps, even though compression goes UP. Too tight, and you can have collision issues. If your bottom end is stock, your pistons come out .006", which with a .041" HG makes quench .035", which is typically what gets recommended by the experts.

However, if you go to a thinner HG, with your shorter travel lifters, you'll need to be careful. You'll pick up .010" preload. Should still be OK, but be aware.

On the rockers, I think you'd be better getting lighter valves than you would to change the rockers. That will do wonders for valvetrain stability.
Sounds like building a 2 stroke the right way...

PTV clearance for intake and exhaust? I'll order gaskets soon... Also having .010 more preload would actually put me in the middle of where johnsons said I should be! Lol

Luckily I still have my old clay impressions!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

dyno numbers are what help sell your brain power. just because someone runs a XX.XX ET is great, but there is a lot of variables in the equation. However dyno numbers help to bring a lot of variables out.

no one builds a car to go 'faster' they build it to go 'as fast as ____' or have some goal in mind.

yes, numbers are only 1/2 of it. but if you can have a car drive about the same as another but make 20, 30, or 50 hp more than another, which would you drive?

I agree though, a dyno queen will throw down STUPID numbers - good luck drivng it though. This was supposed to be drivability FIRST and 500 second... but if I cant have one then damnit I want the other. lol so far I have neither! lol
I would rather have the car that does more with less...that is getting it done.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kinglt-1
I would rather have the car that does more with less...that is getting it done.
Sounds like you agree with my build/concept then
Old 03-04-2016, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that those are great numbers for what you are running. I have the same heads and had a similar motor and didn't get close, but I am also running a th400 and 9".

In an attempt to save a little, I am still running the same heads, but on a 408. Horrible numbers and I learned my lesson. But it doesn't matter because I am changing it up and going the turbo route in a few years.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
If you don't already have. 1 7/8" headers, those are a must to hit that number. Bigger headers and more compression should get you there.
bingo. also, around your idle/drivability issues. check into your IAC counts. My experience with the aftermarket throttle bodies is that you have to drill to get the stock drivability back. it's like the IAC ports don't flow as well.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by TXsilverado
bingo. also, around your idle/drivability issues. check into your IAC counts. My experience with the aftermarket throttle bodies is that you have to drill to get the stock drivability back. it's like the IAC ports don't flow as well.
Definitely true of the fast throttle body. The nick Williams is already drilled out past 3/8". I checked. Over in the tuning section, the nick Williams is the one that seems to get the best marks.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Definitely true of the fast throttle body. The nick Williams is already drilled out past 3/8". I checked. Over in the tuning section, the nick Williams is the one that seems to get the best marks.
And they don't make them in black anymore

Has anyone tried the Holley 105 TB?
Old 03-04-2016, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

Mine is definitely not drilled with any hole in it.

A good tune should be able to make it work without a hole in it right?!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:13 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 409 Likes on 158 Posts

OP,

It was good speaking with you earlier....alot of good ideas already being thrown around this thread.

May I ask why you haven't posted the dyno graph yet?.....it actually provides good intel on what was going on.....the shape of the curve....where peak power and peak TQ occur etc.

I was also curious about how much peak TQ it made but mostly I would like to see the entire curve as Im sure alot of others would as well

Post it up this weekend if you get the chance

Mamo OUT

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!
Old 03-05-2016, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I would also get a short belt to bypass the power steering pump if you want a few extra ponies. I run a short belt at the track and its worth .10 , the headers should help also.
as mentioned, what is the cam duration at .050?
Old 03-05-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 201 Likes on 142 Posts

Sounds like you agree with my build/concept then
I do and would be happy with the results.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:46 AM
Teching In

Default Why did I come up short?? 487hp is not 500+

I didn't read through all the comments but what type of dyno did you take it to? Mustang dyno will give you lower numbers then the dyno jet, mine makes 486rwhp on a dyno jet and 431rwhp on a stupid Mustang dyno ,that type of number jump pissed me off
My set up is a stock internal 5.7
102LSXR with a Nick Williams 102 Big mouth
My MAF is stock I wonder if changing that to a 100mm from TSP would change the hp rating?

MS4 cam
PRC 225 as cast heads
McLeod RST twin Disk
Detroit tru trac and 4:10's

Last edited by BlackVortex; 03-05-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:49 AM
Teching In

The tq readings were bad also 401 rwtq on the Mustang and dyno jet was 429rwtq
Old 03-05-2016, 10:05 AM

Mine is definitely not drilled with any hole in it. A good tune should be able to make it work without a hole in it right?!
sorry, wasn't talking about the blade. The IAC port in a lot of aftermarket units is only 3/16", so they do t move enough air. NW is 3/8. NW blade does not come drilled.
Old 03-05-2016, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
OP,

It was good speaking with you earlier....alot of good ideas already being thrown around this thread.

May I ask why you haven't posted the dyno graph yet?.....it actually provides good intel on what was going on.....the shape of the curve....where peak power and peak TQ occur etc.

I was also curious about how much peak TQ it made but mostly I would like to see the entire curve as Im sure alot of others would as well

Post it up this weekend if you get the chance

Mamo OUT
I go and pick up the car today it sounds like. I will see if he saved a graph of it. He sent a pic of the first one that he made with the car, but none after that and I never asked :/

I will try to later today.

I can post the graph I do have though (452/428) - but how the hell do you post to forums???

Worst case I will just pay to have another pull made so people don't think I'm full of ****

Quick Reply: Why did I come up short?? 487hp is not 500+