Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these cylinder walls glazed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 12:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these cylinder walls glazed?

I purchased a junkyard LQ9, and just pulled the pan to check the internals. I'm not experienced with this at all but I know the cylinder walls should show a crosshatch pattern. They do below the piston ring contact area but above that, only slightly. Can I get your opinions on whether the cylinders should be honed? If so I'll probably use a dingleberry hone.

Plans for the engine are to not remove the heads at this time -- to get the wiring and programming, sensors etc. straight so I can drive it and then figure out what to do with it; it'll be NA and I'm cheap so I'll probably stick with stock heads too.
Attached Thumbnails Are these cylinder walls glazed?-img_20160316_203548.jpg   Are these cylinder walls glazed?-img_20160316_203537.jpg  
Old 03-17-2016, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by xEtherealx
I purchased a junkyard LQ9, and just pulled the pan to check the internals. I'm not experienced with this at all but I know the cylinder walls should show a crosshatch pattern. They do below the piston ring contact area but above that, only slightly. Can I get your opinions on whether the cylinders should be honed? If so I'll probably use a dingleberry hone.

Plans for the engine are to not remove the heads at this time -- to get the wiring and programming, sensors etc. straight so I can drive it and then figure out what to do with it; it'll be NA and I'm cheap so I'll probably stick with stock heads too.
Any info on mileage or running condition before purchase? Compression test? Based on the very little bit I can see, I would run that engine if the rest looked similar.

Once an engine has even a few miles on it, the cylinder area that gets ring contact is not going to look like the undisturbed honed area. In my book for a budget build, if you can see a little cross hatch and you trust the history of the engine, go for it. If the history is sketchy and you want confidence, pull the heads and have a better look. If on a tight budget, you can use cheaper graphite gaskets and standard replacement bolts. There's a lot of cylinder you can't see from the bottom.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mercier
Any info on mileage or running condition before purchase? Compression test? Based on the very little bit I can see, I would run that engine if the rest looked similar.

Once an engine has even a few miles on it, the cylinder area that gets ring contact is not going to look like the undisturbed honed area. In my book for a budget build, if you can see a little cross hatch and you trust the history of the engine, go for it. If the history is sketchy and you want confidence, pull the heads and have a better look. If on a tight budget, you can use cheaper graphite gaskets and standard replacement bolts. There's a lot of cylinder you can't see from the bottom.
I was told 90k on the engine but you really never know... however the outfit the engine came from was a rather large operation and usually those guys don't bother trying to rip people off. I did a compression test but the start had a hard time turning the engine over -- I attribute that to me connecting the starter with some jumper cables, the connection probably wasn't good enough to provide the current required. I got 150-160 on all cylinders. I don't have a leakdown tester but put air into the cylinders to listen for blowby and had one intake valve that gave some concern, but I think it's most likely due to carbon buildup and I think if I lap the valve it'd hold well.

I really don't want to have to scrape and clean a graphite gasket more than once so if I pull the heads it's going to have some consequences on my wallet For example, if I pull them I'll probably want to get MLS gaskets. Then if I'm doing that, I might just figure why not get a whole gasket set to redo the entire engine. Of course with the heads off I might as well drop in some ebay studs and that's another $90... and what if I decide I need to have the heads or block machined!

I guess what I'm saying is that if I can run the engine as it is now, I'd rather defer the cost until later -- not only because I'm cheap but also because I don't really know enough about the LS platform yet to not throw money away on suboptimal stuff only to have to redo it later. To be honest, I don't know my end goals and probably won't until I get the engine in my truck and get a seat-of-the-pants feel for how much more power I want.

On the other hand, given that the engine is not super clean, and I don't trust it's actual history I *am* tempted to pull the heads to inspect and clean the carbon off, maybe lap the valves.
Attached Thumbnails Are these cylinder walls glazed?-img_20160316_203858.jpg  

Last edited by xEtherealx; 03-17-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Run it!
Old 03-17-2016, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like myLQ9 that had 95000
Old 03-17-2016, 11:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

run it. Run 100 miles of ATF through it with a fresh filter afterwards if you want to clean the crap out.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DietCoke
run it. Run 100 miles of ATF through it with a fresh filter afterwards if you want to clean the crap out.
Running ATF through an engine isn't a good idea -- modern oils have more detergents in them than ATF anyway, and I think this is just an old wive's tale.

I do think I'll run it though
Old 03-18-2016, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Running ATF through an engine isn't a good idea -- modern oils have more detergents in them than ATF anyway, and I think this is just an old wive's tale.

Agreed. Really just running good oil and frequent changes will clean an engine up in fairly short order..at least the parts that matter.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:55 PM
10 Second Club

It's not a good idea, it's a GREAT idea.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 233 Posts

That engine looks really clean compared to some of the junk I drag home...button it up and beat on it like it owes you money...
Old 03-19-2016, 09:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 527 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
That engine looks really clean compared to some of the junk I drag home...button it up and beat on it like it owes you money...

yeah that thing is minty fresh. no 1/2" of burned oil on the bottom of the piston!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:06 PM
Launching!

It most certainly is not an old wives tale. Have you ever taken apart a transmission? Do you notice any stains in the aluminum? I have poured ATF on sludge and it comes right up... not as good as kerosene works though.

Plenty of technicians across the country run 1 quart of ATF through a car with noisy lifters. Drive it gently for a short time and drain the oil when it's hot.

Would I do it in anything I cared about? Absolutely not. You run the chance of clogging the pickup screen too.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 PM
10 Second Club

I have a 5gallon pail full of a 50/50 diesel/ATF mix for parts washing. It's glorious.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

One quart is a different story. That may work on a sludged engine but this seems to be in decent shape. The way your post read, it seemed you were suggesting a full pan of ATF. Hence the WTFs.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:27 PM
Launching!

One quart is a different story. That may work on a sludged engine but this seems to be in decent shape. The way your post read, it seemed you were suggesting a full pan of ATF. Hence the WTFs.
It wasn't me that originally said anything about ATF. I am getting ready to run 1 quart ATF in a 2500HD to flush out the motor. I just picked it up from a junkyard and physically removed about 3lbs of sludge from the heads, pan and valley. I shot it all down with brake clean (with the motor upside down) to ensure the minimal sludge made its way anywhere.

I should state this motor has a 6 month warranty so if it starts to knock, I'm not out any money.

I have ran about 50% ATF in the oil in a demo derby car that had a damaged oil cooler though lol.
Old 03-20-2016, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a tub of ATF brake cleaner mixture for cleaning small components (soaking lifters for a few days), it works wonders, disolves crusty deposits, lubricates, protects against rust.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like how reflective that one cylinder was (pic 1). I would do a cylinder leak down on it. It will probably run fine but that cylinder looks pretty polished.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mattcrp1
I don't like how reflective that one cylinder was (pic 1). I would do a cylinder leak down on it. It will probably run fine but that cylinder looks pretty polished.
I think it's just the picture because I still see cross hatching. When a cylinder shows zero marks that a hone was present is when I start to worry although I always do a quick ball hone/rings when it doesn't need to be bored.
Old 03-20-2016, 08:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The compression is within tolerance. Its good for another 100 thousand. That's exactly what the walls are supposed to look like too. I wouldn't try and clean it. It looks just like my ls1 (115,000) after I pulled it for the new ls2. It ran great! Got to find a jeep for that thing somewhere.
Old 03-21-2016, 07:04 AM
10 Second Club

I was suggesting a full pan of atf, as I have run many times before, because it works.

Quick Reply: Are these cylinder walls glazed?