Old 04-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Found this on another site:

Hmmm, some AT fluids have short lived additives that soften and slightly swell
seals. This is a desireable feature when replacing the ATF in an older
vehicle. This is a major component of most AT "conditioner" additives too. It
would tend to confirm you suspicion of a valve stem seal problem.

George Bonser
gr...@cris.com

So it's out there that people say this about ATF in motor oil. Do as you wish it's your motor. I would highly recommend using a flush agent that is made to be in the engine over ATF.

I've also had a handful of cars come in over the years where someone put engine oil in the brake reservoir and it annihilated the system, you could always tell what they had done the second you removed the reservoir cap, the cap seal would be 2-3 times the original size. So i'm really against putting fluids in places they don't belong.
Yeah I was learned the oil in master cylinder issue in basic auto in H.S. it's because it makes all of the seals and such swell. A buddy of mine did it to his brand new Ford back in like 05. Poor guy I told him that's what he gets for buying a Ford lol. Any way sorry about the *** hole comment just seemed as though you were being that way. And no I'm not a rookie just made a rookie mistake. (Which is actually probably worse cause I had no excuse other than not taking my time and being cheap). But never the less again I do thank you for trying to help and apologize for being a whiny ***
Old 04-07-2016, 04:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

all good man, best of luck with your build.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by joecar
ATF is compatible with engine oil, contact with either one will not harm each other's seals.
The same could probably be said of the seals in the brake system, either fluid contacting the seals would likely be fine, but the fluids combined contacting the seals causes major problems.

The point is, I don't think we should go around recommending people put fluids in places they aren't designed for. They make engine flush agents for flushing engines, that cost LESS than a bottle of trans fluid, and if we are advising people how to best fix a problem we should recommend the best way, not recommend wives tales. So I tried to steer the guy away from using trans fluid in the motor.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The same could probably be said of the seals in the brake system, either fluid contacting the seals would likely be fine, but the fluids combined contacting the seals causes major problems.
NO, not fine at all... brake system seals are glycol compatible, and NOT compatible with engine oil or ATF... crossing fluids here would be disastrous.

The point is, I don't think we should go around recommending people put fluids in places they aren't designed for. They make engine flush agents for flushing engines, that cost LESS than a bottle of trans fluid, and if we are advising people how to best fix a problem we should recommend the best way, not recommend wives tales. So I tried to steer the guy away from using trans fluid in the motor.
I would trust ATF over engine flushing agent any day, I would never put engine flush in anything that moved (you get what you pay for).

Last edited by joecar; 04-11-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be honest I was already doing the ATF flush half way threw this convo. But i didnt run the motor at all. But I chased it with tones of oil.after I threw the plug in a cheap filter ad did a motor flush that was suggested by a long time mech. Buddy of mine. Ran it For 5 minutes. Then did 2 more oil changes and it started coming out clear. Threw some royal purple and a k&n filter and it's running great!! I'm not suggesting anyone do anything I did at all either I was cringing the whole time dumping tha **** down on top of my cam. Lol
Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DeeRay92
To be honest I was already doing the ATF flush half way threw this convo. But i didnt run the motor at all. But I chased it with tones of oil.after I threw the plug in a cheap filter ad did a motor flush that was suggested by a long time mech. Buddy of mine. Ran it For 5 minutes. Then did 2 more oil changes and it started coming out clear. Threw some royal purple and a k&n filter and it's running great!! I'm not suggesting anyone do anything I did at all either I was cringing the whole time dumping tha **** down on top of my cam. Lol
I'm sure you have nothing to worry about, my only concern is when people actually run the motor with ATF in the oil. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that have done it and everything is okay, I just wouldn't myself.

I know that people that love royal purple usually will not switch from it, but you should check out some results road racers have when they test their own oils, I have looked into and there are far better oils out there than royal purple that you can get right off the shelf at the parts store.

Quick Reply: Cleaning oil/antifreeze sludge.