Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000whp LQ9 Build- Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 1000whp LQ9 Build- Opinions

Looking at building a 1000whp twin turbo LQ9 for a 1972 Chevelle. This is my first LS motor build at a power level like this. Will have a built 4l80 manual vb setup from Jakes.

I could use some opinions on the following:

H Beam Rods with at least ARP2000- K1, Lunati, Eagle, TSP
Pistons- Wiseco or Diamond(unsure of dish size pending head/cam selection)
Heads- 317 or 243 most likely(243 would allow more piston relief for valve clearance if that matters much)

Thanks!
Old 04-10-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Lots of people do it on less.(stock parts) so really anything is upgrade/better, however expensive parts can fail with bad tune, while they will have a "higher" margine for error. stock parts can live with good tune. I have no opinion on your combo of parts, I just plan on more boost Google luck with build
Old 04-10-2016, 10:15 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Wiseco makes good pistons. You will want to upgrade to heavy wall pins and probably a different ring pack for that much boost. Just about any forged piston will have valve reliefs so you won't really have to worry about PTV.

Callies Ultra rods are really nice. They have really good bolts and they're very durable.

The machining in something like this is pretty important. If you don't already have one picked out, get with a machine shop and tell them what you're looking to do. They'll be more willing to work with you if something happens rather than if you bring your own parts that the internet helped pick out.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess its a broad question to ask about preferred brands since everyone has their own opinions. Two rod brands i have been heavily considering are the Texas Speed rods and the K1. Any issues with people using TSP rods? They said their rods are rated the same as any comparable k1, callie, lunati, etc but its also their house brand so obviously they will be biased torward their own products.

Ill probably just do the wiseco or diamond pistons. Most likely whoever has the best deal at the time.

We have a good machine shop we use for everything. I will have them bore the bare block for the pistons and fit the rings.
Old 04-11-2016, 08:54 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by DieseLife
I guess its a broad question to ask about preferred brands since everyone has their own opinions. Two rod brands i have been heavily considering are the Texas Speed rods and the K1. Any issues with people using TSP rods? They said their rods are rated the same as any comparable k1, callie, lunati, etc but its also their house brand so obviously they will be biased torward their own products.

Ill probably just do the wiseco or diamond pistons. Most likely whoever has the best deal at the time.

We have a good machine shop we use for everything. I will have them bore the bare block for the pistons and fit the rings.
I haven't seen too many people use K1 rods in a 1000whp application yet, same for TSP rods. Between the two, I'd rather have the TSP rods. They're a lot thicker in the beam area and they look very similar to Callies Compstar rods, but have some extra material in some important places.

How are you going to be checking bearing clearance? What about thrust endplay and pin clearance?
Old 04-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

I'd go with Compstar in the budget universe. Wiseco dished pistons with their steel top ring package and tool steel HD pins. Would work fine.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thompsons rods have been in cars of upwards of 1600hp i believe
Old 04-18-2016, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
They'll be more willing to work with you if something happens rather than if you bring your own parts that the internet helped pick out.
quoted for truth.

Quick Reply: 1000whp LQ9 Build- Opinions