Sponsored by:

Inner Spring loose USED double spring kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 02:40 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inner Spring loose USED double spring kit

I puruchased a used set of the Texas Speed .660 dual valve spring kit with titanium retainers. Previous owner claimed 5000 miles of use.

I have a habit of inspecting everything before installation (even new parts) and found one valve spring had the inner spring moving in and out easily, literally slid. In comparison all the others were quite hard to move within the outer spring.

Anyone seen this before?

Hope a Texas Speed rep on here can reply.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

He will probably tell you to never buy used valve springs again.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, don't skimp on stuff like that, low miles or not. Hopefully you didn't pay too much and it's a cheap lesson learned.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:48 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

I would rather get an answer directly from Texas Speed or some real input from experienced members.

If they advise to replace that spring I will, I believe they use the PAC 1905 and its only $8.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by whatsa347
Yeah, don't skimp on stuff like that, low miles or not. Hopefully you didn't pay too much and it's a cheap lesson learned.
I agree, you shouldn't cheap out on important items, espically valve springs, you should never buy used valve springs, as there so cheap, theres really no reason to buy a used set
Old 10-20-2016, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADM
I would rather get an answer directly from Texas Speed or some real input from experienced members.

If they advise to replace that spring I will, I believe they use the PAC 1905 and its only $8.
Don't use that spring is the realest input you are gonna get.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by ADM

Have the springs pressure tested. Replace the ones that fail.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think I spoke with you earlier this week about this. The inner springs are able to come in and out of the outer spring. If for some reason this spring is different from the other inner springs you have you should not use it.

Our replacement is not the 1905, we have a specific PAC spring to fit our retainer you would want to get directly from us.

John J

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-23-2016, 06:45 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
I think I spoke with you earlier this week about this. The inner springs are able to come in and out of the outer spring. If for some reason this spring is different from the other inner springs you have you should not use it.

Our replacement is not the 1905, we have a specific PAC spring to fit our retainer you would want to get directly from us.

John J
Hi Jon,

Yes we spoke but I had posted this up before our phone conversation.

Don't disagree that the springs are supposed to be able to come in and out, but how easily should they be able to move within the outer spring is what I keep wondering.

The inner spring literally slides out of the outer spring, the others are an interference fit and are almost impossible to push out, making that 1 spring the odd one out. Dimension wise it is equal to the rest of the springs.

How would I be able to get a replacement spring from you?
Old 10-23-2016, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW - LS engines are interference engines and a failed spring can result in serious damage to pistons, valves, connecting rods and other parts. Weigh the cost of a spring compared to the other parts.

Last edited by unit; 10-23-2016 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling

Quick Reply: Inner Spring loose USED double spring kit