Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 build advise

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ls1 build advise

I know I'm being lazy but I have read a lot and would like to hear someone's advice on my build. I have a whole pile of parts including late 99 LS one block crank piston rod with K tech rod bolts the block had a broken ring land, and left a very slight marks on the number two cylinder wall I have a replacement piston I also have an LS one intake with fuel rails injectors (24lb) and a throttle. I also have an LS2 intake fuel rails injectors (32lb), and a three bolt throttle adapter. Also have ls6 intake, and a set of LS four injectors (28lb)
Old 01-04-2017, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

Sorry was not finished.
Bought a set of 243 heads off an ls4 and a gmpp cam (late ls6) and gmpp blue behive springs. I am hoping a hone job to clean up the block and I don't have to replace the pistons. Any advise would be helpful
Old 01-04-2017, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXJEEP
....snip & edited by 99 Black Bird T/A

99 LS1 block, crank, pistons, rods with K tech rod bolts.
The piston had a broken ring land, and left a very slight marks on the number two cylinder wall. I have a replacement piston. I also have an LS1 intake with fuel rails, injectors and a throttle body.

I also have an LS2 intake fuel rails injectors (32lb), and a three bolt throttle adapter. Also have ls6 intake, and a set of LS four injectors (28lb)
Have a machine shop check the block...it may not be salvageable...the blocks are good for a hone or two and thats about it.

LS6 intake out flows the LS2.

Throw away the stock pistons and get a quality forged replacement set. Ideally, Wiseco or Mahle are my favorites.

You can get a better cam as well.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

I'm looking to build a 400-450 horse LS1 and not spend thousands. So far I don't have a lot of money in this. I will buy new pistons if it has to go bigger. This is the late block and can go up to .10 if needed. It has minor marks and may clean up. If I need pistons what is recommended for a low dollar piston I am not spending 6-900 on a set. I was also looking for advise on injectors. I have 19, 24,28 and 32lb. I plan on using my ls6 intake, cam and lifters. That along with my 243 heads headers and a tune I see no reason I won't see 400+hp
Old 01-04-2017, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Any suggestions for a machine shop near Cincinnati Ohio
Old 01-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

Are you looking for 400 hp at the tire or the flywheel? Big difference, and even bigger depending on your trans setup.

Take the block to D&D Parts and Engine and have them look at it.
6634 Vine St, Cincinnati, OH 45216

What are your goals with the car, overall?
Old 01-04-2017, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,447 Likes on 1,005 Posts

The stock LS1 piston is one of the weakest parts of a stock LS1. It may be overall the weakest part. The LS1 I bought and had rebuilt after it failed leak down as my 383 Stroker LS1 had destroyed several stock pistons & stock replacement in its time. There was a Federal-mogul in the #7 hole. When we torn the motor down all of the remaining stock pistons were marginal when checked & magnafluxed, measured etc. The stock replacement Federal was trashed. Its pretty common with used LS1's. My trusted engine builder said the stock pistons had had a rough life and should not be reused after the stresses they had been exposed too.

The stock LS6 piston is better quality than the LS1 piston because its made with a stronger alloy. It might be possible to find an inexpensive set and use them. Probe also makes a forged LS1 piston that looks pretty decent for around $500 per set. Pistons are not one of the areas to cut corners in my experience - if they fail they often take other stuff out and it gets expensive. Someone else maybe able to help with piston suggestion. I'm of the mind that all three of my engine builds could sit and wait until I had saved enough for Wiseco or Mahle. I'd rather pay $300 more for quaility, do the task once, do it right & not worry. Different folks have different opinions on the issue and approaches.

The 28.8 pound injectors can support 450 wheel hp maybe a little more if they are in excellent condition and the rest of the fuel system is in excellent condition. There isnt much safety margin as the injects will be maxed out or nearly so. My 99 TA has 26# injectors and makes 418 rwhp.

Since you have #32's I would use those. The LS2 injector is a shorter than the LS1 injector. There should be an spacer/adapter to make it work in the LS6 intake.

I'm not familiar with Cincinnati, so can't comment on the machine shops.

I wish you the best with the build.

BTW - a good job porting job the stock TB will pick up a few hp for cheap.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 01-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Pistons are not one of the areas to cut corners in my experience - if they fail they often take other stuff out and it gets expensive.

I'd rather pay $300 more for quaility, do the task once, do it right & not worry. Different folks have different opinions on the issue and approaches.

The 28.8 pound injectors can support 450 wheel hp maybe a little more if they are in excellent condition and the rest of the fuel system is in excellent condition.
​​​​​​
I agree with Black Bird. Don't cheap out on a good set of pistons. They will hold up to anything you throw at em. Think of it this way. Up front, you make save $400 or so on pistions, but when one breaks, that end of the connecting rod is loose. It then swings around and saws your block in half. Then you will be spending a lot more than what you initially saved. It always costs more to fix something that was done incorrectly the first time around.

28# injectors will be pretty much maxed out at 450 whp. I plan on replacing mine soon, along with my fuel pump as I have maxed out my stock system. However, with 243 heads and a small cam and a little 346, like the one you mentioned, you won't be near 450 rwhp.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:24 PM
Staging Lane

I was not talking about rear wheel horse power. This will be a daily driver with a 4l60e a 373 post in a 64 nova wagon. Moma's hot rod. Thanks for the suggestions on pistons and I have used D&D before when I work at a dealership on that side of town.

Quick Reply: Ls1 build advise