Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best motor rebuild shop in dfw area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 12:44 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best motor rebuild shop in dfw area?

where should i take my ls1 in the dfw area? i actually live in longview but if somewhere in dallas does great motor work (new bottom end) maybe a re-sleeve. i would drive to dallas for a good price on good work. if anyone knows where i should go please let me know. i am ready to get this car back on the road. also what clutch is most recommended?
Old 06-24-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through this ... did a lot of research and talked with several folks with recent motor build ups and the costs associated with it.

I talked with a couple of local guys who race SCCA T2 classes and they recommended a small shop in Ft. Worth that does excellent work and at reasonable rates. The name is Automotive Machine and Supply. The guy has been in the same shop for over 20 years. I figure if he can build a motor that will live for a season running SCCA T2 (bone stock everything), he can build a nice forged unit as well.

My bill at AM&S was 2/3s what I was quoted at 3 other places around town ...

The motor is on a stand right now ...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/184179-new-bullet-has-arrived.html

Just a data point ...
Old 06-24-2004, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

HPE and MTI are both reputable shops...
Old 06-24-2004, 04:21 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by fozziejared
where should i take my ls1 in the dfw area? i actually live in longview but if somewhere in dallas does great motor work (new bottom end) maybe a re-sleeve. i would drive to dallas for a good price on good work. if anyone knows where i should go please let me know. i am ready to get this car back on the road. also what clutch is most recommended?
Barr racing engines in Garland Texas...Kim has been building motors for me since 1975....he has a full machine shop nothing is sent out . In 5 years of buiiding my blown gas dragboat motors we never had a failure.
Kim builds one of the famous vendors motors on the forum here....but ill just leave it at that...lol
his number 972 272 6121 tell him his bud Jeff sent ya
Wash
Old 06-24-2004, 04:42 PM
SSU Moderator

Kim Barr? I've heard that name before...who does he build for?? I must know...PM me??
Old 06-24-2004, 05:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by RyanJ
Kim Barr? I've heard that name before...who does he build for?? I must know...PM me??
Ryan....Ill get in trouble if I tell ya...im sworn to secrecy...lol Wash
Old 06-24-2004, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by washguy
Ryan....Ill get in trouble if I tell ya...im sworn to secrecy...lol Wash

Damn Wash, you mean he builds for 21'st?? That's the only other famous shop that I hear you talk about.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Hey Dog....nope kim doesnt build motors for 21st,but he does do some odd and ends for them......If I told ya who it was that Kim builds for....that vendor would come looking for me!...lol
Wash
Old 06-25-2004, 12:01 PM
Launching!

i appreciate the info. i still dont know what clutch i should use. if anyone knows let me in on it. thanks.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Hey, I am from Tyler and I heard that there is a place in Flint that does excellent work.

T&K Performance Engine and Cylinder Head
Hwy 155 South
Flint, Texas
(903) 825-2514

BTW do you ever go race at Hallsville?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

We have ams down here in arlington and its a pretty damn good shop frm what my buddys have told me.
Old 06-26-2004, 11:15 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Arlington motorsports doesn't have any machine shop capabilities. I've talked to Kimm Barr about doing some work for me. Prices were fair I'd say. I know the vendor, and its a bigger name than 21st.

Also, there is a guy named Watt. He used to work for Performance Automotive in East Dallas, then opened up his own place with MMT. Then he moved his shop to Rockwall. Not sure about the name of his shop, but he's in with Trevor Johnson who does cylinder head work.
Old 06-27-2004, 12:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BigTex
Arlington motorsports doesn't have any machine shop capabilities. I've talked to Kimm Barr about doing some work for me. Prices were fair I'd say. I know the vendor, and its a bigger name than 21st.

Also, there is a guy named Watt. He used to work for Performance Automotive in East Dallas, then opened up his own place with MMT. Then he moved his shop to Rockwall. Not sure about the name of his shop, but he's in with Trevor Johnson who does cylinder head work.

Hey fozz......always use someone that has their own machine shop>>>>the motor is only as good as the quality of the machining first and foremost.
If you want to see what a Darton mid sleeve block looks like ...go by Kim Barrs he's got one coming in on Weds
Wash
Old 06-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Launching!

black_ls1ss yes i have gone out there a few times, and plan on paying them another visit when i get this camaro back on the road. i am so ready to get it going. i have to sell my truck first though, so if anyone knows someone looking for a lifted toyota truck, with an lt1 in it.the engine has under 5000 miles on it, the tranny and rearend both have under 600 miles, then just let me know (903)210-1290. this truck is in great condition. anyway. i was leaning towards the shop in garland. if any more info comes up then let me know. thanks guys.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:13 AM
Staging Lane

I would NOT recommend allowing AMS to touch the Motor.. send me a PM for details.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kim Barr built the motor in my car. It only has 1000 miles, but seems great so far. Nice and smooth. The guys up there are very friendly as well.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:46 AM
TECH Regular

PM mbaskett he's in Keller near Fort Worth.. He's built and rebuilt several engines and has some of the best prices going.. Matt's been in the LS1 world since the beginning and longer than several shops.. Tell him Eller sent you..

Old 07-03-2004, 03:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BigTex

I had Watt build my motor. And several of my friends use him as well.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Default *Update*???10 years later?

So I do what we always tell people to do a search for a answer to my question,

I have a 2002 avalanche with a 5.3, I want to put a 6.0 LQ4 in for a replacement. My question is a little different I'm not rebuilding my engine I want someone that is a reputable engine builder to get a motor from, I'm looking for a brand new motor between 425 to 480 hp, I have had a hard time finding a local shop that does not have a questionable past. I was planning on doing the swap myself but time is not on my side. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: best motor rebuild shop in dfw area?