Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Comp Cam Trunions ok?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Either the Straub or the CHE Bronze bushed trunnions.

Or, if TSP ever releases their steel roller rockers, that might be the ticket.
Technically we have about 8 sets available right now, but in a few weeks there will be many more. We are offering them for $529.00 for the set.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:48 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

529 is a good price...
Old 05-10-2017, 03:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,121 Likes on 2,434 Posts

TS&P- When will they be on your website?
Old 05-12-2017, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
TS&P- When will they be on your website?
+1 and will they be offered with bronze bushed trunnions? Because I'll never use needle bearing trunnions again.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

It is mentioned in the video(on here somewhere..) that both bearings and bushings will be available on them. Nothing on their site yet though....
Old 05-12-2017, 02:17 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We do not have them on our site because pretty much the entire first batch has already sold out. We got a limited run in and if we had put them on the site we would have sold more than we had. The demand for these is high.

We should have more in stock around July. We will be offering both the TSP needle bearing trunion kits and a bushing kit. We are working with CHE to get them on board and it looks very promising. Once we have more in stock we will try to update any related threads.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 05-12-2017, 02:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

OK, thanks!
Old 05-22-2017, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,360 Posts

I installed the Comp Cams trunion upgrade on my LS7 rockers when I built my engine last year. I don't have very much run time on this engine as the 7 and 8 spark plugs kept getting oil fouled and I was burning oil. After running compression and leak down tests and coming up empty I decided to drop the engine back out and start to go back through the motor again. Didn't get to far though because once I pulled the intake I found my problem. The PCV set up was pulling too much oil into the intake. I had a notable engine builder come out with his bore scope to take a look at everything and he saw what looked like deep scratches in the cylinder walls so we decided to go ahead and pull the cylinder heads. After further inspection the No.1 cylinder had a bit of pitting in it so a re-hone and re-ring was in order. I also had him go back through the cylinder heads to install new valve seals and guides if necessary while we're at it. He called me later that week to tell me that the valve job done on the heads was A+ so I tip my hat to Texas Speed on the quality work done. He went ahead and cleaned up the guides and installed new valve seals but the bad news was that he was finding metal shavings in the cylinder heads. I cut open my oil filter but did not find much in the way of metal shavings. Once I got my heads back and on the motor I installed the push rods and then took each rocker arm and cleaned them off with compressed air and re-installed them on the head. I finished the passenger side and started on the driver side. I grabbed the No.1 intake rocker and hit it with the compressed air and that's when I noticed what looked like glitter all over my hand. I called the man who worked on the heads and he said you better check your rocker arms for wear on the trunion as he believed that was where it was coming from. Did some research and that's when I found out about the problems some people have had with the Comp Cams trunion upgrade failing. Also found out there was another solution out there by running bushings instead of the needle bearings. Without hesitation I purchased the Straub bushing trunion set up. I can tell you that all of the rocker arms with the CC upgrade felt smooth and rotated freely but the No.1 intake rocker had a little bit of a gritty feeling. Anyway after pulling them apart over half of them had the bottom portion of the trunions eaten up by the needle bearings with the No. 1 being the worst which might explain why I had a ticking lifter on the No.1 cylinder. All of them started showing signs of wear on the bottom side of the trunions but like I said about half of them where eaten up pretty good. You will have to take them apart to see the damage. Luckily we caught this early on. Not sure how well the bushing set up works but at least the material that wears out is not going to eat up bearings. You can bet I'll be on the phone in the morning!
Old 05-23-2017, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

One has to wonder how widespread these failures are occurring. Especially since they appear to run smoothly even while the trunnion is eating away.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 242 Likes on 185 Posts

The internet has a way of focusing statistics and bringing uncommon occurences to light.

If they were intentionally selling a product they know will fail 100% of the time like people think, it would be more than grounds for a class action. But that in itself totally sucks becaus in class action the defendant pays out but only the lawyers really get paid. The rest is divied up amongst the many plaintiffs. Even if Judge Judy tried it.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The problem with a class action is everybody has a different story. You hear this guy used the trunions for racing, and that probably voids any warranty. Comp will say they weren't made for racing. Then you had the 200 people that installed them wrong. And the ones that used straight 50w oil, etc, etc..etc...

Comp will claim they were made to replace the factory original trunion set-up. Has anybody done nothing to their engine but replace the trunions and see how they wear? Probably not because there is no need to do that.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

I actually doubt Comp saw any of this coming. I have a feeling they did SOME homework on the metallurgical aspects of the trunnions themselves, in that they would work, but for how long? Did they figure this as a long-term wear item, or a short-term solution for those high-performance operators whose engines don't go more than 30 or 40,000 miles?
I know I would expect something like this to last as long or longer than OEM stuff, but maybe COMP doesn't think along those lines.
Old 05-23-2017, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

I am of the opinion that the trunion upgrade will work fine with a stock application but if your running high lift cams and the springs to boot I feel it exceeds the limitations of the kit. It would have been nice knowing this going in of course. I have not had a chance to race this car as I've stated not much run time on the engine but if you are one who is running this kit with an aggressive cam exceeding .600 lift I would certainly be keeping an eye on your rocker arms!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
I am of the opinion that the trunion upgrade will work fine with a stock application but if your running high lift cams and the springs to boot I feel it exceeds the limitations of the kit. It would have been nice knowing this going in of course. I have not had a chance to race this car as I've stated not much run time on the engine but if you are one who is running this kit with an aggressive cam exceeding .600 lift I would certainly be keeping an eye on your rocker arms!
With our bushing kit, the bushing load capabilities far exceeds what the OEM rocker would ever take in lobe intensity. All of this stuff once modified is going to fail at a given point. Where the bushing has the advantage is:

1. In failure mode it will continue to get louder and louder and warn the customer something is wrong giving the owner time to get it fixed with out catastrophic failure.

2. In failure mode the LS OEM oil pump or the aftermarket stuff is not going to fail with fine bronze material passing through it. The same can not be said about OEM and aftermarket needle bearings. Once these get to the pump it is catastrophic failure.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cstraub
With our bushing kit, the bushing load capabilities far exceeds what the OEM rocker would ever take in lobe intensity. All of this stuff once modified is going to fail at a given point. Where the bushing has the advantage is:

1. In failure mode it will continue to get louder and louder and warn the customer something is wrong giving the owner time to get it fixed with out catastrophic failure.

2. In failure mode the LS OEM oil pump or the aftermarket stuff is not going to fail with fine bronze material passing through it. The same can not be said about OEM and aftermarket needle bearings. Once these get to the pump it is catastrophic failure.
Just finished replacing the needle bearing kit previously installed with the new Straub kit. Motor is back together now and I just have a few more mods to make before it goes back in the car. Hopefully all the gremlins are gone so I can finally get some time behind the wheel of my LSX powered Camaro...
Old 05-29-2017, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

This was the No.1 intake rocker trunion with very little run time on it. Forgot to mention the hyd. camshaft is a 243/251 .660 Int. and .632 Ex. and the heads have springs rated for .700 lift. So if your running these with high lift you better check them for wear.
Attached Thumbnails Are Comp Cam Trunions ok?-20170522_142417.jpg  
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Was that the only one or did others look like that...?
Old 05-29-2017, 08:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TrendSetter
complete bs. bad wear patterns on what? the only wear surface on a stock rocker is the tip and that has nothing to do with the trunion surface delaminating. your buddy sounds like a talker that just wants to sell you something.
the heat treat is too thin on the comps and they flake off. i had a complete set do it. there were 2 of 32 wear surfaces that didnt flake off into my oil.
I have no idea how comp messed up so badly, i have never heard of this problem in any other motor and roller rockers have been around longer than i have been alive, but they pulled it off.
I'm not sure I'm following you here. Heat treatment is not a coating that can just flake off, so it can't just be "too thin". You can totally screw up heat treatment and make the metal effectively worthless (I've had suppliers in the past do this...) but the metal is always fully heated through, not just a thin layer
Old 05-30-2017, 06:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SnIpEz
I'm not sure I'm following you here. Heat treatment is not a coating that can just flake off, so it can't just be "too thin". You can totally screw up heat treatment and make the metal effectively worthless (I've had suppliers in the past do this...) but the metal is always fully heated through, not just a thin layer
Technically, it can be too thin, but the flake off part of his story doesn't make sense. I am guessing the roller picked up the soft material from the trunion and peeled it off.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by joecar
Was that the only one or did others look like that...?
I had several of them that looked like that and here is a picture of all of them. My cam a hydraulic roller by the way lifts the intake valves .660 and the exhaust .632. The springs on the cylinder heads are rated to .700 lift. So to summarize if you are running these in your motor with a high lift cam it would be wise to check them. I've had hardly any run time on this engine...
Attached Thumbnails Are Comp Cam Trunions ok?-20170530_184805.jpg  

Quick Reply: Are Comp Cam Trunions ok?