Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ls1 with 243 heads/ls6 cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my combo runs well but rwhp #s wont blow you away. i would look at tsp's stage 2.5 ls6 heads & a cam around 228. still drivable but more power. cheers!
Old 08-08-2017, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DANOZ28
my combo runs well but rwhp #s wont blow you away. i would look at tsp's stage 2.5 ls6 heads & a cam around 228. still drivable but more power. cheers!
what numbers did it put down? Honestly I'm not to worried about hitting 500 right away. I just want a good start and dont want to double buy parts in the future. 420-450whp sounds awesome before boost. I have access to stock gto heads that I can have ported. I was looking at Texas speed cams, BTR cams, and ms3 cams to go with the heads but if a stock ls6 cam is a better cam for boost I'd sacrifice hp now for more later. I don't even know if id rather go turbo or supercharged. I've been reading threads all day and everytime I see a good point for turbos I'm team turbo. Then I read something bad about turbos and I'm team sc. But for now I just need hp that can support boost later. It also doesn't help that I'm new to sc and turbos. So the new info and thread wars have me wishy-washy. I don't like sc whine that much but I seen a vette that had a loud air flow sounds at idle but the supercharger was quite at wot. It also had a bov.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Darth_V8r;19694370]Yup there's a holy triangle of hot rodding. Price performance and dependable. Pick the two you want and sacrifice the third. You could argue comfort or DD also but I find those tend to go hand in hand with dependability.

Ha Ha, You can not get a more Accurate statement than this.
Old 08-08-2017, 07:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car dyno 426 hp with LS1, CNC Ported 799/243, Cam, Headers, LS6 intake. Intake holding me back. But I daily drive my car. I am getting 19 mpg. I put around 10,000 miles on it in about a year.

Recently had to reinstall my stock 853 due to dropping a valve seat. Which is mostly likely a side affect of my car overheating because of a sticking thermostat.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:17 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by liltaz1225
Honestly I like the gains of boosting and I'm sure I'd enjoy the sounds from them, but they still worry me with dependability. I started off looking for a n/a 500whp build
But it seems id have to go big cam and heads which hurt drivability. Plus the price was like the same. Thank you guys for sharing with me. Like I said I'm a noob at ls motors atm. But I'm learning fast.
No problem. You're learning the right way. There's really four ways to hit 500 hp.

1. Just install the heads and cam and bolt ons. Get about 420 rwhp. Spray when you need the hit. Cheapest route and keep all your daily driver non pain the *** driving

2. Install the LS6 stuff and bolt ons and then boost it. Again, keep your DD. I still recommend porting the heads so you can get more power at lower boost. Or you get even more power at even more boost. But ddn is right - porting not necessary for 500 hp. But I wouldn't call it a waste.

3. Build a high end 5.7. It's expensive, difficult, expensive, heartbreaking, expensive, time consuming, and expensive. Especially if you want to retain your driving manners. It's cheaper if you're willing to deal with driving manners, and rev the **** out of it instead of optimizing it.

4. Displacement.

Personally I find that either you do a budget build with low expectations so you're not upset or you go all in, because you'll end up wanting more anyway and you won't be happy until you know it's maxed out.

Best of luck
Old 08-08-2017, 10:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

500 rwhp? Cam only 6.2 from a truck
Old 08-08-2017, 11:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 801 Likes on 611 Posts

That's great numbers! Are the ls6 heads better flowing then the gto 243s?
LS6 heads are 243 castings. The LS6 version had lighter valves. Ported LS6 heads from Texas Speed are the best bang for the buck. Even with a stock cam the car will scream.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
No problem. You're learning the right way. There's really four ways to hit 500 hp.

1. Just install the heads and cam and bolt ons. Get about 420 rwhp. Spray when you need the hit. Cheapest route and keep all your daily driver non pain the *** driving

2. Install the LS6 stuff and bolt ons and then boost it. Again, keep your DD. I still recommend porting the heads so you can get more power at lower boost. Or you get even more power at even more boost. But ddn is right - porting not necessary for 500 hp. But I wouldn't call it a waste.

3. Build a high end 5.7. It's expensive, difficult, expensive, heartbreaking, expensive, time consuming, and expensive. Especially if you want to retain your driving manners. It's cheaper if you're willing to deal with driving manners, and rev the **** out of it instead of optimizing it.

4. Displacement.

Personally I find that either you do a budget build with low expectations so you're not upset or you go all in, because you'll end up wanting more anyway and you won't be happy until you know it's maxed out.

Best of luck
Thanks! Yeah I believe I'm going to go head and cam then boost. I was told the 01-02 camaro ss had the ls6 intake. I also don't have a smog pump? Anyway my passenger side cylinder head has an open spot where something is missing. I'd be awesome to be able to fit a vortech supercharger there so I wouldn't have to move anything of I choose to supercharge. The more research I do the more I like the sound of boost. Just want to find a setup that doesn't whine lol.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

There are much better ways to get to 500whp than a H/C/I build. Just jam a Procharger on the stock engine and call it a day. A baby cam and budget beehives to taste. Obviously you still need exhaust and fuel system supporting mods.

Case in point we H/C/I'd the wagon's LS1 and it is a stone compared to the Procharged LS2 (w/LS9 cam) in our TBSS. Other than the cool exhaust note it is a performance disappointment at this time.
Old 08-09-2017, 08:15 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Matt Happel (aka "Denmah") just built a turbo 4.8L Colorado which made over 500whp through an auto. If you want an idea of how cheap and easy it is, check out his Sloppy Mechanics YouTube channel and watch all of the "don't bs me" videos.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
There are much better ways to get to 500whp than a H/C/I build. Just jam a Procharger on the stock engine and call it a day. A baby cam and budget beehives to taste. Obviously you still need exhaust and fuel system supporting mods.

Case in point we H/C/I'd the wagon's LS1 and it is a stone compared to the Procharged LS2 (w/LS9 cam) in our TBSS. Other than the cool exhaust note it is a performance disappointment at this time.
Stock heads? I figured gto heads would be worth investing into. Texas speed v2 cam then pro charge.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Stock heads? I figured gto heads would be worth investing into. Texas speed v2 cam then pro charge.
Yes, the LS2 has stock 243s with a 918-type beehive spring from PRC. The truck weighs 5200lbs and ran 11.9@116mph w/1.6 60'. There are much better cam options than TSP shelf grinds; and 243s are an upgrade over 241s so if you get them cheap enough go for it. Otherwise don't open the engine needlessly.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mOtOrHeAd MiKe
Yes, the LS2 has stock 243s with a 918-type beehive spring from PRC. The truck weighs 5200lbs and ran 11.9@116mph w/1.6 60'. There are much better cam options than TSP shelf grinds; and 243s are an upgrade over 241s so if you get them cheap enough go for it. Otherwise don't open the engine needlessly.
I think new ls6 milled 243s at tsp are like 1100 each. And I was looking at a 228r cam. Tsp guarantees 45-50 hp from cam alone I think.

Last edited by liltaz1225; 08-11-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look man idk how many different ways we can give you the same answers. Like Darth said above in his list. You want 500 reliable power:

1. Bolt on's, stock 243s, ls6 cam, and spray
2. Bolt on's, boost it with stock heads and cam, bam done
3. About 10k in the best of everything money can buy with a lot of time and research to get every piece of your combo to work perfectly together and keep your fingers crossed that it hits 500
4. Bigger cubes makes more power for less.

From this point on the search tab, google, and the dyno section are your best friend for looking up others combos. Look up darths build thread and take an hour or two to read through its entirety to see how he got to 500 and the price tag it came with.

Now go get em tiger ��
Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by taman86
Look man idk how many different ways we can give you the same answers. Like Darth said above in his list. You want 500 reliable power:

1. Bolt on's, stock 243s, ls6 cam, and spray
2. Bolt on's, boost it with stock heads and cam, bam done
3. About 10k in the best of everything money can buy with a lot of time and research to get every piece of your combo to work perfectly together and keep your fingers crossed that it hits 500
4. Bigger cubes makes more power for less.

From this point on the search tab, google, and the dyno section are your best friend for looking up others combos. Look up darths build thread and take an hour or two to read through its entirety to see how he got to 500 and the price tag it came with.

Now go get em tiger ��
I'm not just ignoring everyone man. I'm just getting everyone's input. And along the way i'm asking questions about peoples responses. Just to learn. Honestly from all i've read i've learned more in the past few days asking then i did in all these years watching youtube and reading forums. i know now the cost is a bit more then i can handle all at once. So i'm going to just be happy with a decent cam until i can afford worthy heads. then save again and get fuel/exhaust/drivetrain setup. then boost it. Thanks to everyone who chimed in and sent knowledge my way. haha it's been exciting to log on and get to see what people are sharing. Again thanks guys!!
Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think new ls6 milled 243s at tsp are like 1100 each. And I was looking at a 228r cam. Tsp guarantees 45-50 hp from cam alone I think.
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4-prc-s...ted-heads.aspx

Quick Reply: Ls1 with 243 heads/ls6 cam