Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random misfire at low RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random misfire at low RPMs

I posted in the PCM diagnostics section with no replies... so I keep getting a SES light and I have a scan tool that will let me read codes, sensor information, and even chart this stuff. I have been charting a cylinder 7 misfire, about 20-40 misfires every 10 second seconds. It only misfires at idle and at cruising rpm. Anything more and it doesn't misfire. Also, the #1 cylinder reads as misfiring, but doesn't throw a code. It misfire around 10-20 times every 10 seconds. I've changed plugs and wires, moved coil packs, checked the crankshaft position sensor, tested my injectors with 12v and cleaned them out with cleaner, checked compression, the MAF is maybe 5,000 mikes old, checked the ground bolt on the back of the driver side head, and went ahead and make a new ground fron the front of the engine block . None of that helped. 2 nights ago, at one point in an hour drive, every single cylinder misfired at least 10 times on different occasions. I am going nuts to figure out what this issue is. It doesn't misfire at WOT at all. Anyone have any suggestions on what to do??
Old 12-04-2017, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd start by looking for vacuum leaks, Get a scanner and look at the fuel trims at idle.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
I'd start by looking for vacuum leaks, Get a scanner and look at the fuel trims at idle.
I've checked for vacuum leaks and the only one that I found was on the PCV valve and I fixed it. I have a BT reader and I still pick up a constant #7 misfire at idle, but no misfire at any rpm other than idle. I checked compression again and got a reading of 150 from 1, 2, and 3, but a 90psi reading from #7. I put oil in the spark plug hole and retried it but it still read 90. I think it's a valve spring.. Checked for bubbles in the radiator and there was absolutely none. Anything else it could be??
Old 12-04-2017, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had almost the exact same symptoms. Look further into your PCV system for vacuum leaks. Pull the whole thing off to inspect it. Mine was deteriorated and I think air was seeping out through all the cracks. Then just cut a few bits of 3/8 hose and put it back together, quick added assurance.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Number Tew
I had almost the exact same symptoms. Look further into your PCV system for vacuum leaks. Pull the whole thing off to inspect it. Mine was deteriorated and I think air was seeping out through all the cracks. Then just cut a few bits of 3/8 hose and put it back together, quick added assurance.
I've checked it and it was okay but I'll double check it. Thanks for the replies!! If y'all have any more suggestions then let me know. The compression was only 90psi in #7 which is why I'm leaning towards a bad valve or valve spring..
Old 12-04-2017, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You may be on to something there, but I just had identical symptoms (literally last week) and finally found all the deteriorated PCV hoses were causing major vacuum issues
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

If number 7 is @90 psi the piston is most likely damaged. Very common for number 7 to break rings and ring lands.

What do the fuel trims look like at idle?
Old 12-05-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

I am sure that with a compression of 90psi you have found your miss fire. Pull the rocker arms off on that cylinder and hook an air hose up to the spark plug hole and listen to where the air is leaking out of the cylinder.

Last edited by bbond105; 12-05-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by 97TAsom
I've checked for vacuum leaks and the only one that I found was on the PCV valve and I fixed it. I have a BT reader and I still pick up a constant #7 misfire at idle, but no misfire at any rpm other than idle. I checked compression again and got a reading of 150 from 1, 2, and 3, but a 90psi reading from #7. I put oil in the spark plug hole and retried it but it still read 90. I think it's a valve spring.. Checked for bubbles in the radiator and there was absolutely none. Anything else it could be??
I was fixing to post check compression when I read this. Your symptoms sound exactly like low compression. That 90 pounds will definitely cause the miss at idle.

As you said, it's likely a valve issue, possibly rings. You need to air up that cylinder with the valves closed or rockers removed and listen for air to hiss out the exhaust, through the intake, or through the oil cap to see where you're losing it.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I'm going to pull the valve cover off this weekend and check to see what it is. I'm hoping that it's just a valve spring but I'm thinking that it's more than that. It's weird because the car runs great other than idle and it really doesn't idle rough. I can't even tell it's misfiring until I hook the scanner up. Still pulls strong. I put 2 cars on a 2012 5.0 a couple nights ago from a 60-90 roll so it's not losing power but hopefully I'll get this misfire figured out.

Last edited by 97TAsom; 12-06-2017 at 03:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Random misfire at low RPMs