Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinion on this heads/cam package?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Any opinion on this heads/cam package?

After 18 years, I'm finally getting ready to do a little more to my car this year and was looking at package deals then I saw this one: http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/hawk...free-shipping/

Anyone have this setup or if not does it sound like a decent deal?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think that's a nice setup they offer there. I run those heads and they do well for a budget head.

Btw I see you're in beautiful Gary IN. I'm in the scenic Flint MI area myself lol. I think out murder rates migh be competing with each other lol
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I have been researching this the last week or so and there are just so many options. Although that looks a little pricey it seems like it is a pretty complete kit. I have an LQ9 6.0 and will leave the block, pistons and crank stock. I will follow this thread..Good Luck!!

Keith R
Old 01-17-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I think that's a nice setup they offer there. I run those heads and they do well for a budget head.

Btw I see you're in beautiful Gary IN. I'm in the scenic Flint MI area myself lol. I think out murder rates migh be competing with each other lol
Ahhh, Gary..my neighbor to the north. I was born in Hammond but live in Dyer. As far as the package, it looks good. It's always beneficial to purchase things in a complete package. Especially something that has proven results. Respectable price too. How much research on packages and pricing have you done?. There are a good amount of packages out there. Nothing wrong with your choice. Maybe I'm just way overboard when researching parts lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black sky
Ahhh, Gary..my neighbor to the north. I was born in Hammond but live in Dyer. As far as the package, it looks good. It's always beneficial to purchase things in a complete package. Especially something that has proven results. Respectable price too. How much research on packages and pricing have you done?. There are a good amount of packages out there. Nothing wrong with your choice. Maybe I'm just way overboard when researching parts lol.
Yep I used to travel through Gary a lot on my way to Chicago, and I'll always remember that haze over the sky...very eerie lol. Was told it from the steel plants?
Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the fast replies! Yeah the Steel mills do cause a lot of smog in the city. I go to South Haven Mi a lot and can't believe how many more stars you can see at night up there! Here....not many

I haven't looked at packages for too long but from what I've seen, this seems to be the most complete one of the bunch. I just figured it'd be easier if not better to get it all at once other than trying to piece one together. If anyone has links to others I will check them out.

1 more question, Since the et's in my sig, I've added 1 7/8 headers and actually lost almost .4 and 4 mph the last time I ran it? I haven't had it tuned yet but didn't think I'd lose this much from not having it done yet? I do have a pipe rattling on the floor on hard acceleration though....could the computer maybe think this is spark knock and retarding the timing? I didn't even think of logging a run to check this till the next day. Duh
Old 01-17-2018, 10:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im sure it's mostly from the steel plants/mills. There is also an enormous BP refinery close by which probably adds to the mix. I'm an electrician who mostly works downtown Chicago, but I have been in the Mills a few times. Came out completely covered in coke dust. The term pitch black really applies lol.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

There's a good chance you could be running rich without a corresponding tune. Sometimes it will manifest itself with a loss down low and less throttle response. You could have a point regarding knock as well. A datalog, as you stated will certainly sort that out.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I forgot about that refinery too. What a ghost town though...much like Flint lol. South Haven, Saugatauk, Grand Haven, etc...are absolutely gorgeous though. I would love to live there.

As far as adding the headers, did you also delete the cats with a ORY pipe?
Old 01-17-2018, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

For 4200 bucks Id go turbo.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:36 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA
After 18 years, I'm finally getting ready to do a little more to my car this year and was looking at package deals then I saw this one: http://www.hawksmotorsports.com/hawk...free-shipping/

Anyone have this setup or if not does it sound like a decent deal?
That is a popular package, but we have a pretty good combo for less $$ and makes the same or more power and is more inclusive, meaning it includes every part needed like gaskets and bolts etc. Email me for more info

Rpmspeedtech@gmail.com
Old 01-17-2018, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Thats a ton of money for an LS N/A setup....as said you're into turbo or used Procharger territory with much more room to grow and itll have better street manners than that cam will.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I forgot about that refinery too. What a ghost town though...much like Flint lol. South Haven, Saugatauk, Grand Haven, etc...are absolutely gorgeous though. I would love to live there.

As far as adding the headers, did you also delete the cats with a ORY pipe?
Yes, I did delete the cats.

Yeah, me and my g/f have been wanting to move to South Haven, we both love it up there.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dano 00TA
Yes, I did delete the cats.

Yeah, me and my g/f have been wanting to move to South Haven, we both love it up there.
Yep my girl wants to go over there as well. Just a thought, it's possible by deleting the cats without a tune really messed things up
Old 01-17-2018, 07:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep my girl wants to go over there as well. Just a thought, it's possible by deleting the cats without a tune really messed things up
Well, it does have a "tune" as far as I shut the codes off for the o2 delete and raised the rev limit but that's it.

Quick Reply: Any opinion on this heads/cam package?