Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
If profanity is a problem, then the internet may not be a good place for you. We’re all adults here and I’m not going to tell grown men they can’t cuss. The comments that provoke childish arguments which degrade technical discussion is going to be much less tolerated than profanity.

I deal with the root cause, and in this case, that is you. The personal attacks, however unnecessary and derogatory, were just a result of your actions which you even realize weren’t the best. I’m just asking you to be a little more civil in your arguments. If it devolved to the point where a ban or infractions needed to be issued, such as when personal threats occur, then I would probably look at all involved.

FWIW, I actually agree with you, I have a 24x/25x cam in a 440ci engine and there’s no way it would ever drive like stock. But that’s my opinion and I know not everyone will agree.
Pretty sad when you agree with my argument, and yet I'm the bad guy. If I see anyone on this site ever get a time out or banned by another mod for language directed at another member, I'll be sure to refer to this post that its "acceptable". Last time I checked, real grown men don't have to cry and resort to profanity when someone disagrees with them. Children do that. I already wished the OP well in his race cammed setup that's not drag raced, so again best of luck with whatever the goal is.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:36 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
Pretty sad when you agree with my argument, and yet I'm the bad guy. If I see anyone on this site ever get a time out or banned by another mod for language directed at another member, I'll be sure to refer to this post that its "acceptable". Last time I checked, real grown men don't have to cry and resort to profanity when someone disagrees with them. Children do that. I already wished the OP well in his race cammed setup that's not drag raced, so again best of luck with whatever the goal is.
There’s actually a button you can use to report a post which allows us Moderators and Admin to look at the situation as a whole and decide on the best course of action. Just make sure you’re innocent before doing so, because as I hope you understand by now, you don’t have to be using profanity to insult and disparage someone.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
There’s actually a button you can use to report a post which allows us Moderators and Admin to look at the situation as a whole and decide on the best course of action. Just make sure you’re innocent before doing so, because as I hope you understand by now, you don’t have to be using profanity to insult and disparage someone.
You got it.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 417 Likes on 302 Posts

10 bolt with a 6 speed in that combo? You will have to launch a little before peak torque if you want to go anywhere and that 10 bolt wont be having it. If it's just for laughs then I guess it's a second kind of cool that I don't understand but it's your car man. At least it will turn heads at stop lights. I don't see making this cam effective at all in that motor. It's just a classic case of over camming an engine. Why not make a few passes and see what happens?
Old 04-03-2018, 08:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Decent TQ for that cam in a lil 346. Better than I expected actually, and +31rwhp is huge from just a cam swap.

OP said it wasn't a daily so whats the big deal with everyone crying about the cam? As long as he has no problem giving it the gearing and RPM it wants, the car will perform.

The issue with large cams is when kids pick one from the bottom of the order page and run them with 3.23 gears, on stock heads, and shift at 6300rpm since their crappy $100 valvesprings tricked them into thinking their motor peaks at 6k.

Nothing wrong with a big cam if its not a daily and you don't mind making the sacrifices you need to make it run right. My initial concerns when people think about large cams are the head flow (does it peak and fall, or hold the flow out past the cams peak?), and valvetrain. Based on your dyno chart it is not hitting a brick wall and holding power well past peak, so if you're not scared to shift that bastard past 7k and give it some real gears to get it moving that thing will roll out.

Don't underestimate the benefit of the rpm extension of a larger cam.
Old 04-04-2018, 11:15 AM

Received 1,838 Likes on 1,146 Posts

I don't disagree with you. It's his ride let him do what he wants, and extending RPM range is the main benefit of a larger cam, assuming it is properly coupled with gear and/or stall.

I do still believe that the cam is less than optimal. When you look at the 500HP 346 builds, most of them have cams in the 237/245 range. So, if this is basically the optimal cam, then it is possible to go too large and have actually left power on the table. It is great he gained 31 going to the cam he did, but what if a slightly smaller cam would have gained 40? Hypothetical, but plausible scenario.

IMO a cam that large is begging for 8000 RPM shifts, not just over 7K shifts. And 12:1 compression, and all those other supporting mods.