Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding youe engine? Please read

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Rebuilding youe engine? Please read

I may get a handful of haters and "No Sh*t stupid people in here but I don't care. Please keep to yourself because there was a time when you didn't know any of this, too.

We all see it on a weekly basis...I thought I'd throw this out there in case it helps even one person with their build.

So here goes:
If you're going to take on the task of rebuilding and LS engine all by yourself, PLEASE, read this to be better prepared for one of the most common issues people face when reassembling their shortblock.

Most of us use a machine shop to clean, bore, hone, size, polish and/or inspect our engines for us prior to putting them together. Some of them will even sell you the needed bearings, gaskets etc.. for completion. Make sure they measured everything before they sell you anything!

Do yourself a HUGE favor. CLEAN YOUR ENGINE BLOCK "and HEADS if work was done". The machine shop may throw your block into the hot tank BUT, it will NOT remove all f the debris that comes off the block. You need to do your Due Diligence!!!!
Do NOT expect that once you receive your block back from the machine shop that it's ready to go for assembly! This is your engine, treat it as it's your own and that you're spent hundreds or even thousands to get it up to this point.

Unwrap your engine (If they took the time to wrap it up for you) and clean, clean clean. Purchase decent quality multi size long wire brushes to get them to slide inside your Oil Galleys. (Harbor freight has these BTW) When they remove material from your block, (Bore, Home etc...) small particles go everywhere and the worst area they can go is in your oil galleys because you can't see them and they're not easy to get out of there. Remove your Barbell, (Don't forget to put it back upon reassembly!!!). Get in there with High compressed air using your thin long wire brushed and twist, slide and clean these galleys as best as you can, all while using high pressure compressed air to remove the debris.
WHY? These particles sit in there waiting for you to fire your engine so that they can start moving their way into your fresh new bearings, Lifters, Cam bearings etc... and will reek havoc immediately upon startup resulting in a damaged bearings within minutes. ALWAYS purchase NEW engine covers when you're not working on it. (The plastic engine covers that are throwaways. Summit sells 5 packs for cheap and you should even ask your machine shop for these while your there getting ready to pay. I NEVER reuse the same one that came from the engine shop. And I always replace it after doing any type of work on the block.
Once you're done all of this, Please make sure ALL of your bearings are within spec! If you're not sure, come on here and ask or search. Professionals have listed their desired clearances for years for engines of all different power intentions.

If you don't know something for sure, ASK IT HERE! We're happy to help! Good Luck. Let's make this a long lasting engine that you can be proud of for years to come.

I hope this helps just ONE person, thank you.

Dan
Old 05-17-2018, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,022 Likes on 2,353 Posts

^^^^^^^^^This is needed and should be required reading!^^^^^^^^^^
NO such thing as TOO CLEAN! Any haters and naysayers bury yourselves somewhere.....
Old 05-17-2018, 01:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
Thanks man!
You're welcome! Hey, truth is truth!
Old 05-17-2018, 02:43 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Probably the dirtiest area of a freshly bored/honed block is the newly honed cylinders themselves. You can wipe on a new cylinder for hours, and still get a dirty cloth every time. Hot, and I mean hot soapy water, and a scrub cloth. Spend some time here, you won’t regret it. The hot water helps to break down the honing oil left behind, as well as other stuff. I have a hose Bibb in my basement for HOT water, that I use to directly spray out my oil galleries. BUY SOME BRUSHES FOR THIS! Some degreaser here doesn’t hurt either.
Get some clean oil on the cylinders QUICKLY after your completely done with the block. I don’t even wait to dry anything. I dump a liberal amount of clean oil on my hand, and start rubbing it into the cylinders immediately. You will have some yellowing of the cylinders, which WILL wipe out, you just have to keep rubbing. It takes a lot of work to do this correctly. I oil the cylinders, and then start wiping it back out before I begin the block drying process with compressed air. Keep rubbing the cylinders out until there is no more yellow on the cloth. Then re-oil. Your prolly going to bleed a little during this process also.

Center of a new camshaft is an overlooked area also. Hold your next new camshaft up to the light and look through it. Amazing amount of metal debris in there! Use a bristle brush and scrub until clean. I’m a clean freak, and I like this thread...
Old 05-17-2018, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good added info! Some might just call it good common sense, but it surprises me how much it does NOT get done.
This might get to be a sticky-qualified thread if we don't watch it! lol
Old 05-17-2018, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

That always bugged me about getting automotive machine work done. I can e quote machine parts from China and they show up in clean room condition. But the heads I paid a cleaning fee and assembly fee on still have **** in the bolt holes.

I figure that is one of the driving forces behind the SBE craze
Old 05-17-2018, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by truckdoug
But the heads I paid a cleaning fee and assembly fee on still have **** in the bolt holes.
It's the American way...... lol
Old 05-18-2018, 07:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Excellent thread!

Clean and inspect or have inspected everything .

I would also add check behind the machine shop. A trusted local machine shop had an outstanding reputation did the Dart SHP block for my 72 vette. However they didn't deck the block correctly. The top of the cylinder head deck wasn't flat. It had a high point. My engine builder caught the issue checking with a straight edge. The machine shop refused to correct their faulty work even when shown the issue with the block with the straight edge unless paid to redeck the block. In short the shop want maintaining their machines, were careless or let untrained people do the some of the machine work. That sterling reputation that took twenty years to build imploded over the next year as others had issues with their work. The engine builder took the block to their competition who correctly decked the block. The builder also changed machine shops. He was stunned at the turn of events because he'd never had an issue with that machine shop before . He said that's why everything had to be checked. He was also a clean freak with engine assembly and said the same thing about cleaning parts...clean and clean some more.

Opened a set of bagged ready to bolt on ported heads one time and had metal shaving fall out of the intake ports.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was taught long ago that powdered Tide had a much better use than washing clothes , keep a box in my motor room ! Hottest water I can bear to touch. Another thing is drying , before any parts even have any chance to dry I start soaking with WD40 and blowing with high pressure air. Also having plenty of lent free paper towels for wiping all bore surfaces is a must IMO
Old 05-18-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Center of a new camshaft is an overlooked area also. Hold your next new camshaft up to the light and look through it. Amazing amount of metal debris in there! Use a bristle brush and scrub until clean. I’m a clean freak, and I like this thread...
Thank You! Very good info.
I never actually thought to do this with Cam shafts. I have seen two Comp Cams come with junk in between the lobes that took quite a while to clean off. It was stuck on there pretty good. Wanted to make sure I didn't scuff the lobes but it didn't even occur to me to clean out the center hole that runs all the way through.
Oh yeah, LINT FREE TOWELS! Get some!!!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone. Great info for people to learn or refresh on. I haven't built an engine in at least a decade and this is a great refresh to keep all these important steps to assure a successful build.