Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil to top end on fresh build . HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Cam bearings installed incorrectly?
Old 07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would pull the pushrods out and make sure they are clear before I pulled the Engine, its possible they have some assembly lube packed in there
and oil just hasn't made it through there. Its not that difficult to pull pushrods out.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cookseyb
Cam bearings installed incorrectly?
Wouldn't matter, the cam bearings don't feed the lifters. The gallery feeds the lifters, cam bearings and mains. I'm gonna take a WILD guess at this one and say "something" blocked the oil supply holes in the lifters themselves. I would pull the valve covers and see if the lifters are collapsed, this means no oil is passing into them. If this is true its time to pull the heads and inspect the lifters.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 07-03-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I would pull the plugs and spin the motor over with a drill for a bit with the valve covers off and see if you get oil up there before pulling the engine down. You'll need a strong drill and a strong grip but once it gets spinning it's not too hard to hold the drill.

Did this the other day on a motor for my brother, it was pretty funny watching him stare down a hole and oil spray out after a minute right in his eye lol.

May just be that the lifters haven't fully pumped up and not passing oil through. After looking at the diagram a above I have a hard time seeing it have oil pressure at the sensor but not to any lifters.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

why would anyone build a engine and pull the plugs and spin it to build pressure? THEY SHOULD BE PRELUBING IT Until it has (cap lock, LOL) has oil out of EVERY rocker. Just getting pressure doesnt mean **** IMO
Old 07-05-2018, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Contact the builder, get his input. My Morels took a long time to fill both new and after a clutch job. While doing the clutch I rotated the crank a number of turns to tighten the bolts and it bled out the lifters. Took a good five minutes for them to pump back up fully and quiet down. The new lifters should have a grease inside them for initial startup, which can take a while for oil to break up. If they weren't lubricated, than you would have no oil pressure. If the valve covers are off, use an oil can and hit the rockers and valve stems. I assume the builder used assembly lube on the valve train for initial startup.

Last edited by vettenuts; 07-05-2018 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
why would anyone build a engine and pull the plugs and spin it to build pressure? THEY SHOULD BE PRELUBING IT Until it has (cap lock, LOL) has oil out of EVERY rocker. Just getting pressure doesnt mean **** IMO
Go back and read the thread. It's a step in trying to figure out if he has an oiling issue or not.

And how do you propose he "prelube" it until it has oil out of each rocker??
Old 07-05-2018, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Vettenuts he says he has NO oil up top, I could see lifters clattering for 5 mins bleeding out but no oil up top in 5 mins. No way something is way wrong. @65psi that oil should be up and out of those lifters within a few seconds. I'm betting something was in the gallery and blocked the lifters inlet orifice. They are very small holes and it doesn't take much to block them. I personally have never seen this on a new build but I did see this a few times on used engines that were worked on then the GM lifters failed suddenly.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Wouldn't matter, the cam bearings don't feed the lifters. The gallery feeds the lifters, cam bearings and mains. I'm gonna take a WILD guess at this one and say "something" blocked the oil supply holes in the lifters themselves. I would pull the valve covers and see if the lifters are collapsed, this means no oil is passing into them. If this is true its time to pull the heads and inspect the lifters.
Thanks for straightening me out, I was thinking 292-312 Fords and how when they got a few miles on them the cam bearings would roll and you would get no oil to the rockers etc. They even made a kit to tap into a pressure point and run a copper line to the valve covers to oil them.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Vettenuts he says he has NO oil up top, I could see lifters clattering for 5 mins bleeding out but no oil up top in 5 mins. No way something is way wrong. @65psi that oil should be up and out of those lifters within a few seconds. I'm betting something was in the gallery and blocked the lifters inlet orifice. They are very small holes and it doesn't take much to block them. I personally have never seen this on a new build but I did see this a few times on used engines that were worked on then the GM lifters failed suddenly.
He said a couple of minutes, which could even be an over estimate of time when consider he is listening to his new motor make noise. It's his call, but I can't see what would block off all oil flow in the gallery on both sides at once and still show oil pressure. After my clutch, my lifters made noise for several minutes of idling.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
He said a couple of minutes, which could even be an over estimate of time when consider he is listening to his new motor make noise. It's his call, but I can't see what would block off all oil flow in the gallery on both sides at once and still show oil pressure. After my clutch, my lifters made noise for several minutes of idling.
I agree here.

If you can tap into an oil galley without having to remove a whole bunch of ****, get yourself the Home Depot pressure sprayer and fill it up with a few qts. of oil and Prime your system with the valve covers off. Search for "Pressure sprayer oil primer home made" to find a link to help you
build a cheap yet extremely effective priming tool. If you can't get oil to come out of the PR's by doing this, that will confirm something's wrong.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Oil pressure will show just fine with all the lifters clogged. I not saying oil gallery is blocked, If what he says is true I think his lifters are blocked with something. Who knows this is all conjecture anyways, we are not there to witness what's going on. He could post back and say everything is fine, so your guess is as good as mine.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil pressure will show just fine with all the lifters clogged. I not saying oil gallery is blocked, If what he says is true I think his lifters are blocked with something. Who knows this is all conjecture anyways, we are not there to witness what's going on. He could post back and say everything is fine, so your guess is as good as mine.
Well everything is not fine , very far from it . Thursday I finally got oil to the lifters and thought all was good . Put everything back together and fired it . No sooner than it lit off , it died with a horrible noise . Looked under the car and oil was pouring out of the pan . I pulled the motor out today and dropped the pan . Best I can tell the builder didn't tighten down a rod cap . The bolts and cap were just laying there . All kinds of carnage , most likely a boat anchor except for the heads . Block , crank , and 2 pistons and rods have significant damage .
Old 07-06-2018, 09:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well that Blows, hope the Builder helps you out.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Dam sorry to hear, good Luck with it.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry to hear what happened. I think all that responded here were under the assumption that normal assembly procedures were followed, i.e., nothing incorrect with the build. I hope he makes this right since I can only imagine you have a lot of dough sunk into this.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear what happened. I think all that responded here were under the assumption that normal assembly procedures were followed, i.e., nothing incorrect with the build. I hope he makes this right since I can only imagine you have a lot of dough sunk into this.
**** happens once in awhile I guess. You're right about the money thing , I didn't really cut any corners all good stuff and did most of the little things to make a few more HP .
Builder called me today and said its on him and he will make everything right no questions asked . Stand up guy , just made a mistake . We all do at some point

​​​​
Old 07-07-2018, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,155 Likes on 2,462 Posts

Wow. VERY cool on the builder's part! We need more standup guys around like him!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:52 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,570 Likes on 2,196 Posts

Reputation is EVERYTHING in this business. He has no choice but to man up. Good for you!
Old 07-07-2018, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Wow. VERY cool on the builder's part! We need more standup guys around like him!
+1 very rare to see people like this anymore. Seriously that's absolutely awesome though.

Quick Reply: No oil to top end on fresh build . HELP!