Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil to top end on fresh build . HELP!

Old 07-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No oil to top end on fresh build . HELP!

Looking for some tech help on my build . I have a fresh everthing 408 build thats not getting oil to the lifters or pushrods . I only have a couple minutes of run time , but it carried 65 Lbs. of pressure at idle . All lifters are soft/spongy . Lifters are new LS7's . Do I need to just run it longer ?? Kind of lost at the moment . Makes all kinds of noise right now ! Any input would be greatly appreciated
Old 07-02-2018, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

hmmmm odd, did you install the lifters dry?

Last edited by RockinWs6; 07-02-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:27 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

What camshaft? Anything weird about it?
Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 AM
Teching In

BTR stage 3 Stroker cam . Cam specs are 239/254 .624"/.595" 114+3.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
hmmmm odd, did you install the lifters dry?
OP, you might want to answer this question. It DOES relate to the issue!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Sorry , I missed that . Builder says they were soaked before install . What would be the effect if they were put in dry ? Just curious
Old 07-02-2018, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

If you don't give them ANY oil, then you've got metal on metal contact and the lifters are gonna chew themselves up in the few seconds it's gonna take for the oil pump to get oil to the galleys. You're also going to have zero oil IN the lifter, which means they aren't going to do their job of actuating the valves properly until they fill with oil.

Since you have oil pressure, I can only assume the oil barbell is still in place. Was the motor thoroughly cleaned? Like, hot tanked and then all the oil galleys cleaned out? Was the system primed before first start-up? I primed mine using a garden sprayer and had oil out of the pushrods in less than a minute.

One thing I always do is take the pushrods and use compressed air and brake cleaner to spray out the holes and make sure there are no obstructions. Granted it's highly unlikely you have 16 clogged PRs, but it never hurts to double check.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That is odd. I know this doesn't affect pumping up the lifters, but did you measure PR length prior to installing your top end?
Where are you getting your oil pressure reading at? just curious.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
If you don't give them ANY oil, then you've got metal on metal contact and the lifters are gonna chew themselves up in the few seconds it's gonna take for the oil pump to get oil to the galleys. You're also going to have zero oil IN the lifter, which means they aren't going to do their job of actuating the valves properly until they fill with oil.

Since you have oil pressure, I can only assume the oil barbell is still in place. Was the motor thoroughly cleaned? Like, hot tanked and then all the oil galleys cleaned out? Was the system primed before first start-up? I primed mine using a garden sprayer and had oil out of the pushrods in less than a minute.

One thing I always do is take the pushrods and use compressed air and brake cleaner to spray out the holes and make sure there are no obstructions. Granted it's highly unlikely you have 16 clogged PRs, but it never hurts to double check.
I didn't do the work , but trust my builder completely when he says that he did clean everything . it was primed and pulled all the spark plugs and turned over until I had oil pressure before start up .
Old 07-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
That is odd. I know this doesn't affect pumping up the lifters, but did you measure PR length prior to installing your top end?
Where are you getting your oil pressure reading at? just curious.
I would assume builder checked PR length , he's a pretty thorough and meticulous guy . Oil pressure reading is coming off factory sensor and gage .
Old 07-02-2018, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did you verify there's no oil going to the top end? Just based on the noise or did you pull valve covers while it's running to check? If the builder primed the motor before firing, he should've seen that there was no oil coming out of the pushrods.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Teching In

How did you verify there's no oil going to the top end? Just based on the noise or did you pull valve covers while it's running to check? If the builder primed the motor before firing, he should've seen that there was no oil coming out of the pushrods.
Yes , verified with valve covers off . Motor was primed in the car . Valve covers were on it at that point .
Old 07-02-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Honestly as much as I hate to say it, the motor needs to come apart. Sounds like there is a major blockage in the oil galleys. The OPSU gets oil from the very start of the drivers side oil galley, so if neither side is getting oil, somehow it's blocked after that. (Assuming of course, the OPSU is still in the factory location)

The only thing I can think of, is that somehow a lifter is stuck in the bore and is completely blocking oil. What kind of lifters are you running? LS7s?

I would pull the heads, that'll let you see what the lifters/cam looks like and see if something is stuck.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Yeah , new LS7's and sending unit is in stock location . I was hoping not to pull it back out , but most likely will . Probably drop transmission and flywheel and pull the back cover off and see if I see anything back there first .

Any other thoughts or ideas let me know . I won't be doing anything until the weekend most likely .
Old 07-02-2018, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ws6duramax
I only have a couple minutes of run time , but it carried 65 Lbs. of pressure at idle . All lifters are soft/spongy .
It's going to take more than a couple of min to fill the lifters & get oil to the rocker arms. I would run it for 5-10 min.

Russ Kemp
Old 07-02-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Russ K
It's going to take more than a couple of min to fill the lifters & get oil to the rocker arms. I would run it for 5-10 min.

Russ Kemp
I disagree. If the lifters were soaked and the system primed before startup, it should be ready to go right off the bat. When I fired my motor up for the first time I had oil out of the pushrods in the time it took for me to check the gauges on the instrument cluster, climb out of the car and make my way to the front.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6duramax
Yeah , new LS7's and sending unit is in stock location . I was hoping not to pull it back out , but most likely will . Probably drop transmission and flywheel and pull the back cover off and see if I see anything back there first .

Any other thoughts or ideas let me know . I won't be doing anything until the weekend most likely .
This wouldn't make sense considering you have oil pressure... but I would double check your barbell is in good and solid and not damaged. Maybe replace it with the saccity corvette piece since it's going to be out anyway.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

If you installed the old camshaft thrust plate, sometimes the orange gasket gets mashed flat and the oil galleys will dump pressure between the thrust plate and block. That plate is cheap insurance for only $15. Just something to check if you have to pull it apart. You should be able to feel the gasket above the steel plate surface.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedXray
If you installed the old camshaft thrust plate, sometimes the orange gasket gets mashed flat and the oil galleys will dump pressure between the thrust plate and block. That plate is cheap insurance for only $15. Just something to check if you have to pull it apart. You should be able to feel the gasket above the steel plate surface.
It's a new plate . It has to be some sort of blockage since I have good oil pressure .
Old 07-03-2018, 10:02 AM
Teching In

This wouldn't make sense considering you have oil pressure... but I would double check your barbell is in good and solid and not damaged. Maybe replace it with the saccity corvette piece since it's going to be out anyway.
I will definitely check everything in the back cover before I drop the motor back . I actually talked with guy last night who is sponsor on here and he seems to think its most likely assembly lube buildup causing my problem . I'm going to heat up some oil to around 200 degrees and circulate it and see if it loosens things up . He seems fairly confident that's the issue . We will see , hopefully Thursday morning I will know .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No oil to top end on fresh build . HELP!