Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Lifters, What Else to Replace?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Replacing Lifters, What Else to Replace?

I am replacing my lifters because it sounds like one of them collapsed. Since I am pulling the heads I wanted to do some maintenance on anything that I had easier access to. Any recommendations?

Things I already have:
145 amp truck alternator
Oil Pressure Sending switch (mine was flickering left and right and all over the place)
Old 12-14-2018, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,017 Likes on 2,348 Posts

Get new lifter trays too. Also check the pushrods for straightness. And while you're at it (heard that one before?? lol) a new LS2 timing chain and oil pump (Melling high pressure, NOT high volume). These should freshen things up a bit for future use...
Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by 00cls1camaross
I am replacing my lifters because it sounds like one of them collapsed. Since I am pulling the heads I wanted to do some maintenance on anything that I had easier access to. Any recommendations?

Things I already have:
145 amp truck alternator
Oil Pressure Sending switch (mine was flickering left and right and all over the place)
If I were you, I’d take a look at the knock sensors. It’s pretty common for water to get into the galley where they sit and malfunction. If they don’t look corroded and nasty, put a little bead of RTV around the black rubber plugs to seal them up.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Be careful what lifters you use, seen plenty that were bad right out of the box.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Get new lifter trays too. Also check the pushrods for straightness. And while you're at it (heard that one before?? lol) a new LS2 timing chain and oil pump (Melling high pressure, NOT high volume). These should freshen things up a bit for future use...
I was planning on the lifter trays, they are so cheap it would be dumb not to. Ill check the pushrodsas well, I didn't really think of that. I had the LS2 timing chain installed and a ported LS6 but I was considering changing the pump. I only have 30k on my cam car. Thoughts?

Originally Posted by KCS

If I were you, I’d take a look at the knock sensors. It’s pretty common for water to get into the galley where they sit and malfunction. If they don’t look corroded and nasty, put a little bead of RTV around the black rubber plugs to seal them up.
I was considering this. I guess I will. I just didn't really feel like pulling off that top cover.

Originally Posted by RockinWs6
Be careful what lifters you use, seen plenty that were bad right out of the box.
I have not decided between the Cadillac race lifters or just the delphi ls7s. There are a lot to choose from...
Old 12-14-2018, 12:42 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

I was considering this. I guess I will. I just didn't really feel like pulling off that top cover.
You won’t have to. Just pop the black rubber plugs that the harness goes through, pull the connector, and look in the knock sensor wells to see if they’re corroded.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KCS

You won’t have to. Just pop the black rubber plugs that the harness goes through, pull the connector, and look in the knock sensor wells to see if they’re corroded.
Ok, I just pulled the intake last night so I remember seeing those black rubber plugs. Thank you
Old 12-14-2018, 04:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

With only 30K (hard miles??) I guess the oil pump could be deemed optional. Up to you!
Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

I would also consider replacing the intake manifold gaskets. The ones on my 99 TA were in poor condition after 18 years. Yours Maybe better condition given the low miles and being in Arizona. The ones on my car were a disaster waiting to happen give the car was outside in the rain on occasion.

It would have taken a while longer but one of those compressed less pliable gaskets was going to start leaking and allow the water sitting on the manifold into the 99TA's engine at some point.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Rocker trunnion upgrade? They’re going to be off so what the hell, right?
Old 12-14-2018, 11:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you decide to do the rocker trunnions, get CHE or Straub bronze bushing kits, though there are now others. They are the most well known.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
I would also consider replacing the intake manifold gaskets. The ones on my 99 TA were in poor condition after 18 years. Yours Maybe better condition given the low miles and being in Arizona. The ones on my car were a disaster waiting to happen give the car was outside in the rain on occasion.

It would have taken a while longer but one of those compressed less pliable gaskets was going to start leaking and allow the water sitting on the manifold into the 99TA's engine at some point.
One gasket tore on my FAST 78mm and I need to replace them anyways. Will be doing this!

Originally Posted by s30.hybrid
Rocker trunnion upgrade? They’re going to be off so what the hell, right?
Originally Posted by G Atsma
If you decide to do the rocker trunnions, get CHE or Straub bronze bushing kits, though there are now others. They are the most well known.
What is this trunnion upgrade? I've seen it around on BTRs website and just reading through random threads. What exactly does this do?
Old 12-15-2018, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

What is this trunnion upgrade? I've seen it around on BTRs website and just reading through random threads. What exactly does this do?
It's a replacement of the bearings in the rocker arms with better ones. There have been incidents where the OEM ones fall apart and put needle bearings thru your engine. There are those who think this unnecessary, as there are millions of LS engines doing fine with the OEM units, but under high performance conditions they get stressed a bit harder.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been into three truck engines now, 1 6.0, 2 5.3 and have found wear on the pushrod tips at the rocker arm pocket, two or three on each engine. Should be a nice shiny mirror chrome look, these were hazy silver and had really fine scratches. Rods were not plugged, lifter end seemed ok.

Search this Thread