Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New lifters, lots of noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnLs1GTO
12499225 is the part number. That set you ordered is correct and priced very well with all of the extras. Great find!
Yup, apart from all the noise they seem terrific...
Old 07-01-2019, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people have had luck with Rislone Engine Oil Treatment(32oz.).
https://carpassionate.com/best-oil-a...-lifter-noise/
For $7 it's worth a try.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by voda1
Some people have had luck with Rislone Engine Oil Treatment(32oz.).
https://carpassionate.com/best-oil-a...-lifter-noise/
For $7 it's worth a try.
He's not going to solve a problem with a new engine with oil treatment, It may help a high mileage engine though.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Akizzem
Rebuilt the engine over the winter, all new everything. Engine has good oil pressure 50psi cold, 40psi hot. But the lifters are still noisy. I have hardened pushrods. Checked length multiple times with the comp cams tool. BTR dual .660 springs, summit racing pro LS stage 2 turbo cam. I dropped the pan and put in a new GM oil pickup tube, new GM oil pan gasket, and a new GM blue pickup tube o-ring. Still no change. Oil pressure was verified with a mechanical gauge. Im starting to wonder if my $100 ebay LS7 style lifters are the problem. Could this be a possibility? I can’t think of anything else that could be causing this problem. I’m getting oil to the rocker arms. Not a ton but enough to make a mess if I rev it with the valve covers off. Oil pressure raises with rpm. I’m at a loss here

i just rebuilt my lq4 with SS2 cam and ls7 lifters and am experiencing lifter chatter as well. did u figure out the fix on yours..?
Old 01-15-2020, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

You're going to have some valve train clatter. That's just life with a bigger cam.
Old 01-15-2020, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blsnelling
You're going to have some valve train clatter. That's just life with a bigger cam.
wow really.. this is my first v8 build..I never heard it with open downpipe .. but l I recently put exhaust on it.. lol maybe it’s time to open the exhaust up some more. The chatter is sooo annoying.. lol
Old 01-16-2020, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The reason many newer design aftermarket cams (newer than the 20+ year old ls designs) make great power is because they have quicker lobes (higher velocity/acceleration/deceleration). The downside of that (sometimes) is that they hit the seats with more force, and a lot of times what sounds like lifter noise is actually the valve slamming (relatively speaking) into the valve seat. Also, better/harder/more dense cam/lifter/PR materials tend to transmit more harmonics than softer factory metals.........sort of like the difference between transmitting a frequency through rubber, then through glass or a very dense metal. If that makes sense. Either way, higher performance comes at a cost. Sometimes it's more heat, sometimes it's more broken parts. Sometimes it's more noise. But if everything seems ok with your build, I wouldn't sweat the lifter noise much.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Enigma540
The reason many newer design aftermarket cams (newer than the 20+ year old ls designs) make great power is because they have quicker lobes (higher velocity/acceleration/deceleration). The downside of that (sometimes) is that they hit the seats with more force, and a lot of times what sounds like lifter noise is actually the valve slamming (relatively speaking) into the valve seat. Also, better/harder/more dense cam/lifter/PR materials tend to transmit more harmonics than softer factory metals.........sort of like the difference between transmitting a frequency through rubber, then through glass or a very dense metal. If that makes sense. Either way, higher performance comes at a cost. Sometimes it's more heat, sometimes it's more broken parts. Sometimes it's more noise. But if everything seems ok with your build, I wouldn't sweat the lifter noise much.
yea they make no noise at startup or much at idling.. maybe at higher rpm but they get drowned out by exhaust noise.. its when I’m cruising at 1500-2500 it kinda sounds like a diesel.. lol

Last edited by chinaoreo; 01-16-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-16-2020, 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i wouldn't sweat it if you have no reason to assume that there's a real mechanical problem with the engine. As long as your preload is correct, rockers are good and torqued properly, and you have no reason to think you have abnormal lifter to bore clearances........I'd chalk it up to "this is just what this parts combo does". Engines/parts/metals have varying and finicky resonant frequencies and your 1500-2500 just might be the weird spot where it transmits sounds much like valve springs have resonant frequencies where they transmit harmonics (for the sake of discussion, because they aren't actually "harmonics"). Or it could just be the seating velocities of the lobes making a little noise at that rpm.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Enigma540
i wouldn't sweat it if you have no reason to assume that there's a real mechanical problem with the engine. As long as your preload is correct, rockers are good and torqued properly, and you have no reason to think you have abnormal lifter to bore clearances........I'd chalk it up to "this is just what this parts combo does". Engines/parts/metals have varying and finicky resonant frequencies and your 1500-2500 just might be the weird spot where it transmits sounds much like valve springs have resonant frequencies where they transmit harmonics (for the sake of discussion, because they aren't actually "harmonics"). Or it could just be the seating velocities of the lobes making a little noise at that rpm.
right on thanks for your reply’s.. everything is new.. heads were freshened up.. summit lifter roller bearing upgrade .. new HD push rods. 7.4.. everything is fine mechanically.. and it does kind of have a resonant sound to it
Old 09-03-2022, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by patSS/00
I don't know about that particular comp checker but seems like your measurement could be off a bit. Your checker base length has 1 decimal place, turn length has 2 decimal places, and preload has 3 decimal places. Measuring with a caliper would be better.
his measurement could be of a bit? He checked for proper push rod length in a TEXT BOOK FASHION! And I'm running all the same exact top end components that he is and 7.400 push rod length is EXACTLY right! I have more noise in the valve train than i would like too but the other gentleman is exactly right it's the nature of these lifters with heavy valve springs. You're just another guy chiming in who has ALL the answers and your way has to be best. Keep building engines from your lazy boy and leave push rod length checking methods to us true gearheads. You did it exactly right my friend don't go through the trouble of tearing it all back down to use this guys whimsical method of checking your pushrod length and I'm running all the same components you are and 7.400 is exactly right

Quick Reply: New lifters, lots of noise