Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to go 0.065 over LQ4 6.0 block =11:1cr 376" for less than $1000 all day build

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2020, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

Yikes! Never seen that before, maybe from the long RPM drop on those 1/2 shifts yanking the crankshaft the opposite direction ?
What stall are you running?
Old 01-09-2020, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
Yikes! Never seen that before, maybe from the long RPM drop on those 1/2 shifts yanking the crankshaft the opposite direction ?
What stall are you running?
Stock stall, pretty much stock everything! I just finished tightening up the crank bolt, I managed to clean it up with the tap pretty good, I covered the bolt threads with loctight and jammed it in. I've never had to do that to my LS1 lol this guy is making some twist!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Original Cam and main bearings are still in this 2001 Lq4 block after the catastrophe that took it out (#7 piston and rod came apart and gouged the bore) and I'm still running them with the new 4.065 bore and hone. I dropped the crank in it from my old L59 that had a spun #3 Camshaft bearing along with the used floater rods with used 4.8 rod bearings and the new pistons and rings I bought. Installed in the car now the engine gets 35psi hot oil pressure at 600rpm with Orileys 20w50 standard oil
Old 01-15-2020, 01:29 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 244 Likes on 186 Posts

20/50? Its not a Moline. Did you mix it 50/50 with some MMO and Rislone also?
If it takes more than 10/30 to make oil pressure, take a step back and reassess.
The following 2 users liked this post by tech@WS6store:
blsnelling (01-17-2020), JF74chevelle (01-19-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
20/50? Its not a Moline. Did you mix it 50/50 with some MMO and Rislone also?
If it takes more than 10/30 to make oil pressure, take a step back and reassess.
You are correct, it is not a tractor engine. The engine did however come out of a big heavy duty truck with eight lug wheels that has been sold in countless countries all over the world so I will just carry on and trust that it was engineered for less than ideal operating conditions, assume it can handle a battlefield style crank swap, and continue to let it eat. To me, the Fact that I can make the power my way and take down some high dollar stuff at the dragstrip doing things my way is worth more than anything else. I've already put over 100 hours on it and it's still quiet as a mouse. 20w50 is also usually half or even one third of the price of the other weight oils at the store because nothing is made anymore that calls for it so I save a lot on oil changes. I've still got a long way to go before I spend $1000 on this engine lol
Old 01-16-2020, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some of us folks that have been playing with These things since they were new saved all our books and did our homework showing just how tough these powerplants actually are, check out that minimum oil pressure!
Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

It also holds in alot more heat and can cause other issues. Its a bandaid. And not a very good one at that. You can definitely clog up rings with it also. Especially the low tension oil rings.

It doesnt matter what it came out of gm never recommends above 10/30 for any ls engine and mostly does 5/30 for a good reason.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 07:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Doing things cheap is no excuse for doing things sloppy and lazy. My late, wise dad taught me, "do it right, or don't do it at all".
Old 01-17-2020, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Doing things cheap is no excuse for doing things sloppy and lazy. My late, wise dad taught me, "do it right, or don't do it at all".
I used to say that **** to people before I finished College way back when I was just a "parts changer" working in crappy garages, truck stops, and body shops. Before that I was a heavy wheel Mechanic in the Army. I thought I was the greatest wrench ever, but then worked on my Masters ( after a Bachelor of Science in Psychology) at an engineering school, the most prominent in Missouri ( I have turned down teaching jobs since) I realized there that everyone who thinks they are the best car, engine, enthusiast, whatever, is just regurgitating the same **** they read in whatever magazine or site they like best and they never take any risks or try anything outside of what they digest from that and there's always a chance any build will break anyways when you do something like this yourself, it's hotroding. I've got 500 miles on it this one already and it's running Awesome, I'm really excited to see what kind of MPH it will throw up at the Dragstrip too! deliver pizza with this car part time for weed and vacation $ when there is less than 6" of snow on the ground so get over it, that goes for you to WS6STORE, I'd rather have no posts in my thread at all then more negative bullshit
The following 2 users liked this post by stockA4:
Homer_Simpson (09-06-2022), Rickys2003svt.cobra (04-30-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

I for one applaud your 6 liter torque monster. I threw as little money as possible to get my '01 Camaro deep into the 13s at Fontana Autoclub and it has been a blast. The 2 major mods on my LS1 car are the 799 home ported heads and HP Tuners which puts me right back in the game with modern muscle cars. Well done stockA4.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoCalDave
I for one applaud your 6 liter torque monster. I threw as little money as possible to get my '01 Camaro deep into the 13s at Fontana Autoclub and it has been a blast. The 2 major mods on my LS1 car are the 799 home ported heads and HP Tuners which puts me right back in the game with modern muscle cars. Well done stockA4.
Thank you sir! The torque is everywhere and I love it, its there right at idle and it just rips. You would easily be in the 12's here in St Louis!
Old 01-17-2020, 08:36 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,650 Likes on 2,230 Posts

Originally Posted by stockA4
I used to say that **** to people before I finished College way back when I was just a "parts changer" working in crappy garages, truck stops, and body shops. Before that I was a heavy wheel Mechanic in the Army. I thought I was the greatest wrench ever, but then worked on my Masters ( after a Bachelor of Science in Psychology) at an engineering school, the most prominent in Missouri ( I have turned down teaching jobs since) I realized there that everyone who thinks they are the best car, engine, enthusiast, whatever, is just regurgitating the same **** they read in whatever magazine or site they like best and they never take any risks or try anything outside of what they digest from that and there's always a chance any build will break anyways when you do something like this yourself, it's hotroding. I've got 500 miles on it this one already and it's running Awesome, I'm really excited to see what kind of MPH it will throw up at the Dragstrip too! deliver pizza with this car part time for weed and vacation $ when there is less than 6" of snow on the ground so get over it, that goes for you to WS6STORE, I'd rather have no posts in my thread at all then more negative bullshit
No ones being negative here. In fact a lot of times when we (myself included) try to help you, you get offended and say stuff like this. Not sure why you started this thread to start with on a public forum, and not expect folks with actual knowledge to jump in and try to help you out, knowing you don’t want any advice to start with. You could actually learn something here on Tech if you’d just listen and stop barking back at folks.
The following 2 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (01-17-2020), jlangley (01-19-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,216 Likes on 2,512 Posts

Not gonna argue about how well it does with 20/50 oil. Fact is, it would do better with 5/30 or 10/30. GM designed those truck engines sold in countless countries to run longest and most effectively with those oils. You are not doing the engine any favors using 20/50.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:32 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Definitely not negative. Like the other guys said, im speaking no only from experience but also an engineering background plus research others have done.
Do it how you want, but expect feedback and possibly some tough love so to speak.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 155 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tech@WS6store
Definitely not negative. Like the other guys said, im speaking no only from experience but also an engineering background plus research others have done.
Do it how you want, but expect feedback and possibly some tough love so to speak.
Originally Posted by Che70velle
No ones being negative here. In fact a lot of times when we (myself included) try to help you, you get offended and say stuff like this. Not sure why you started this thread to start with on a public forum, and not expect folks with actual knowledge to jump in and try to help you out, knowing you don’t want any advice to start with. You could actually learn something here on Tech if you’d just listen and stop barking back at folks.
There's a lot of people out there that just can't handle constructive criticism.
G Atsma (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by stockA4
Rationalize all you want. Taking risks is not about being lazy and sloppy. If you knew me, you'd know that I'm not afraid to take risks. However, I also try to do things right. BTW, what does your degree have to do with anything. I'm a degreed professional as well, but that has nothing to do with this discussion.
G Atsma (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts

I think his point is to show that there is more than one way to be successful with a build. With my Nova I rebuilt the 350 the right way by going 0.040 over flat top pistons, new bearings, assembly lube, prime the oil pump, etc. Then for my Camaro with 200k miles it's about trying different things such as torquing my head bolts to 55 lbs-ft with the original bolts, taking out the back seats and spare tire, and so on. I'm after bang for my buck and it's going well so far.
G Atsma (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 05:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,216 Likes on 2,512 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalDave
I think his point is to show that there is more than one way to be successful with a build. With my Nova I rebuilt the 350 the right way by going 0.040 over flat top pistons, new bearings, assembly lube, prime the oil pump, etc. Then for my Camaro with 200k miles it's about trying different things such as torquing my head bolts to 55 lbs-ft with the original bolts, taking out the back seats and spare tire, and so on. I'm after bang for my buck and it's going well so far.
But you're not throwing crap at those giving constructive advice, to your credit.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 912 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Yeah I see no sense, but not knocking it....
Originally Posted by G Atsma
I don't think anyone got the (non)joke..... I'm SOOO dissed..... lol
I just saw it...
I'm proud of you. Haha
G Atsma (01-20-2020)
Old 02-26-2020, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

My budget engine has already paid for itself as I've put almost 3000 miles on it already delivering pizza with it. It runs great, like insanely great there's so much torque it makes me think I should be looking to swap my 2.73's for 2.41's haha. I have to pinch myself Everytime I drive it because it's so awesome I don't believe it myself. I do this **** because people should know that they can take a couple of these engines broken and just bolt themselves together one good one for no money at all and have something that goes

Quick Reply: Had to go 0.065 over LQ4 6.0 block =11:1cr 376" for less than $1000 all day build