Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had to go 0.065 over LQ4 6.0 block =11:1cr 376" for less than $1000 all day build

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2020, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,455 Posts

Any idea what kind of gas mileage you're getting?
Old 02-26-2020, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Any idea what kind of gas mileage you're getting?
So far it's been getting between 15-17mpg city, no highway trips yet
Old 02-26-2020, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

It's sad when a guy can slap something together like this without a care in the world and yet I've seen so many low cost rebuilt engines over the years that barely made it out of the shop if they did at all.

Congrats on your build man.

Normally I'd have **** to say like these other guys, because I completely agree with them.
However I see your "road kill" approach to it and I like it. I'm actually pretty excited about it. I stress myself to death all times with insane levels of perfection when doing builds. Even my mentor that taught me all about extreme detail gives me hell for going way over the top with every little detail. I'm not complaining about it, but man at some point I'd love to just slap something together as cheaply and no give a **** about it and just enjoy it without all the stress. And finally have something that if it blew up I could just laugh about it instead of wanting to hulk smash the entire city because something went wrong..

Kudos to you man.

Edit, I was gonna say people need to remember this was put in a "$300" car and the goal was to build it near free without a care for longevity, just for pure fun. But it wasn't even 300. It was free. And you built it with basically left overs and freebies. I think it's ******* awesome. Blow it up, laugh. Crash it, laugh. Take it to walmart gets the **** dinged out of it, laugh. Man I need a car like that lol.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (02-26-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

When someone says hey that won't work you can not do that, and yet you have got these hands and these wrenches and you just know that you can do it and prove them wrong well, that's just enough for me to get to work I guess. The only labor thing I couldn't do myself was bore the block 0.065 over, I had to pay for that so I'm actually a pretty good wrench! I made this for you pooter, thanks for getting it😉
00pooterSS (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

You got lucky in some ways. There's a lot of engines where you couldn't just slap it together like that and have good results. And there's a lot you can. Particularly late model stuff where tolerances are so exact and so repeatable it makes it easy to just slap in bearings and go without measuring.

this is also like lightning striking, if you do this again it may not strike twice lol.

But I also get that you kinda did it "wrong" for the fun of it without truly caring about the end result, and then when it came out awesome it's a supreme icing on the cake situation. I get where you're coming from proving people wrong, but to be honest, this more proved luck than it proved people wrong because this usually doesn't work out so well.

But enjoy it, hope it lasts a real long time
Old 02-27-2020, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

See, I built a flat top 5.3 the same way before( a few failed experiments with other platforms before that)and I drive that everyday as well so I knew it was going to work if I was careful enough, I used new head bolts and gaskets that's really the key, I don't use tourqe wrenches or angle gauges though just by "feel", roughly close to the book specs, to be perfectly honest I'm a 911era veteran and It was kinda cathartic to build a 2001 model year block that had been trashed with as many good used "era" parts as well. I'm more of an artist than a builder I guess
Old 02-27-2020, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stockA4
See, I built a flat top 5.3 the same way before( a few failed experiments with other platforms before that)and I drive that everyday as well so I knew it was going to work if I was careful enough, I used new head bolts and gaskets that's really the key, I don't use tourqe wrenches or angle gauges though just by "feel", roughly close to the book specs, to be perfectly honest I'm a 911era veteran and It was kinda cathartic to build a 2001 model year block that had been trashed with as many good used "era" parts as well. I'm more of an artist than a builder I guess

The key was probably as "sloppy" as you threw it together, you still were careful and clean enough, and had enough knowledge to do it wrong and it be right enough lol.
That and these newer motors are all built with such similar tolerances you really can make a soup out of parts and they all work together. You couldn't do that with a motor 30+ years ago.

But not using tq or angle is pretty retarded. That's just being stupid on purpose, sorry but I'm sure you can agree. Tq wrenches are as low as $30 or so and angle is free, make a mark on the bolt and turn it to the angle. I do use a tq angle gauge and accurate expensive tools because I build for customers. But there are cheap easy ways around it that still work.

Don't get me wrong I still dig this build, and see the fun in it.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

00pooterSS, I was maybe too vague in my desription of my use of tq wrenches, I do own one but I rarely use it. It's ok that I take stuff apart and put it back together enough to trust myself to twist a bar roughly 90 degrees a few times in a row without stopping every time to take a sharpie break, you sound like you have skinny wrists. If you knew me you wouldn't have written the word retarded in my thread in any other context but camshaft timing. I thought you were a mature adult and you have lost my respect. You'd have to spend less on a car than me and beat me at an autocross and a drag race, then do a few years of volunteer work with the special needs community to ever get it back... good day sir.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:01 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by stocka4
00pooterss, i was maybe too vague in my desription of my use of tq wrenches, i do own one but i rarely use it. It's ok that i take stuff apart and put it back together enough to trust myself to twist a bar roughly 90 degrees a few times in a row without stopping every time to take a sharpie break, you sound like you have skinny wrists. If you knew me you wouldn't have written the word retarded in my thread in any other context but camshaft timing. I thought you were a mature adult and you have lost my respect. You'd have to spend less on a car than me and beat me at an autocross and a drag race, then do a few years of volunteer work with the special needs community to ever get it back... Good day sir.
wow.....
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
99 Black Bird T/A (03-02-2020), blsnelling (03-01-2020), dixiebandit69 (05-20-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
wow.....
Exactly my response when I read it. I couldn't even come up with a thought to put to it other than wow...
blsnelling (03-01-2020)
Old 02-29-2020, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Carry on....
Old 02-29-2020, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by stockA4
00pooterSS, I was maybe too vague in my desription of my use of tq wrenches, I do own one but I rarely use it. It's ok that I take stuff apart and put it back together enough to trust myself to twist a bar roughly 90 degrees a few times in a row without stopping every time to take a sharpie break, you sound like you have skinny wrists. If you knew me you wouldn't have written the word retarded in my thread in any other context but camshaft timing. I thought you were a mature adult and you have lost my respect. You'd have to spend less on a car than me and beat me at an autocross and a drag race, then do a few years of volunteer work with the special needs community to ever get it back... good day sir.
What about ignition timing?
Old 03-01-2020, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Cheap and sloppy are not the same thing. Checking clearances and proper torque are free. You sir were simply sloppy. There is no merit in that, so quit pretending and trying to cover it by calling it cheap.
G Atsma (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 09:46 AM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

It is refreshing to see someone doing ANYTHING without the NASA quality, I'm building a spaceship bullshit that everyone else makes their build out to be.

This thread is a great example of 'who gives a **** what the book says, this is what works in the real world.'

I very highly appreciate the lack of pictures of parts in boxes.

By the way y'all, check out my build

Uh oh, must be ebay ****, no names on the boxes.
Can I check the PTV right on this one.......
Old 03-01-2020, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,455 Posts

I can tell just by the boxes, that is gonna be one HOT build!! LOL
Jays_SSZ28 (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Are you really trying to justify building an engine and never measuring piston to bore clearance and using no torque wrench?! I'm not sure how that has anything to do with "NASA spaceship" build quality. It's simply common sense and doing the job right.
G Atsma (03-01-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 12:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Are you really trying to justify building an engine and never measuring piston to bore clearance and using no torque wrench?! I'm not sure how that has anything to do with "NASA spaceship" build quality. It's simply common sense and doing the job right.
No.

Were you standing next to this guy during the build, NOPE. Have you been to his house, NOPE. Do you know him personally, NOPE.

How do you know he didn't use a $1500 torque wrench and torque angle gauge? This guy could own a machine shop and build 1800 hp ls's all day for all you know.

I guess people need to mention that they're an engineer, or they're an ASE Master certified tech to gain credibility. What do you want to see, this guy with his torque wrench and torque angle gauge? Oh and his ASE Certified work shirt patch.

I built many engines from the ground up before the internet, it wasn't til recently someone asked "where's your build thread" Like I didn't really build this engine myself, because why would I not post a build thread, what is wrong with you......

Everyone else is swinging their dicks like Look what I can do.

In the big picture of life do you really think a person that builds an engine (properly or improperly) is special? Are we looked upon as being geniuses? (or ANYTHING) No. Especially in todays world where people are turning against "us" because we're polluting the earth.

If anyone gives a **** it's all about shiney paint and a body that was expensive when it was new or is now a classic. Even then does the general public care if ANYTHING was tightened with a torque wrench? NOPE. No one's ever asked me that at a car show or at a gas station when asking about "whats in that thing" . Jesus Christ do you know how many times people have come up to my S10 and asked if I swapped the engine or do I just have a loud muffler on it. Do you think they know what a torque angle gauge is? NOPE.

We are nothing no matter how shiney our engine and tools are.

Heres my four cylinder s10 with that special loud muffler.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
No.

Were you standing next to this guy during the build, NOPE. Have you been to his house, NOPE. Do you know him personally, NOPE.

How do you know he didn't use a $1500 torque wrench and torque angle gauge? This guy could own a machine shop and build 1800 hp ls's all day for all you know.

I guess people need to mention that they're an engineer, or they're an ASE Master certified tech to gain credibility. What do you want to see, this guy with his torque wrench and torque angle gauge? Oh and his ASE Certified work shirt patch.

I built many engines from the ground up before the internet, it wasn't til recently someone asked "where's your build thread" Like I didn't really build this engine myself, because why would I not post a build thread, what is wrong with you......

Everyone else is swinging their dicks like Look what I can do.

In the big picture of life do you really think a person that builds an engine (properly or improperly) is special? Are we looked upon as being geniuses? (or ANYTHING) No. Especially in todays world where people are turning against "us" because we're polluting the earth.

If anyone gives a **** it's all about shiney paint and a body that was expensive when it was new or is now a classic. Even then does the general public care if ANYTHING was tightened with a torque wrench? NOPE. No one's ever asked me that at a car show or at a gas station when asking about "whats in that thing" . Jesus Christ do you know how many times people have come up to my S10 and asked if I swapped the engine or do I just have a loud muffler on it. Do you think they know what a torque angle gauge is? NOPE.

We are nothing no matter how shiney our engine and tools are.

Heres my four cylinder s10 with that special loud muffler.
Nailed it. Nobody gives a ****. Build threads are stupid to begin with, I mean it's not like it adds inches to your dick. Build the thing how you want and have fun. Plus in every build thread there's always those guys that come along and tell what your doing wrong and how they'd go about it even if it sends costs thru the roof, they talk like everybody has bottomless pockets
Old 03-01-2020, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
No.

Where in the world did you come up with all that? I'm simply responding to what he said, nullifying everything you're suggesting. Nothing you said has anything to do with my comments.
The following 3 users liked this post by blsnelling:
99 Black Bird T/A (03-02-2020), SLP IROC-Z (03-01-2020), TurboChapman (08-16-2020)
Old 03-01-2020, 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by blsnelling
Where in the world did you come up with all that? I'm simply responding to what he said, nullifying everything you're suggesting. Nothing you said has anything to do with my comments.
No you repeated something that I said.
I'm not sure how that has anything to do with "NASA spaceship" build quality.
I'm referring to these big elaborate build threads. Who gives a ****, but it makes the build thread starter feel like they're doing something special.
Why is there a need to post pictures of parts neatly displayed? A step by step of NOT heres how you do this, but look what I can do. I can turn a wrench, I can turn a handle to a number on my brand new snap on torque wrench that cost me $800 and I'm never going to use it again, I can't figure out when to stop it just beeps lol.

Theres no dick swinging here, people are disappointed.

Quick Reply: Had to go 0.065 over LQ4 6.0 block =11:1cr 376" for less than $1000 all day build