Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced cam sensor still not right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Replaced cam sensor still not right?

Last week car started getting hard to start. Threw code PO342 which is " Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Low Bank 1 or Single Sensor". So I pulled the intake and replaced the cam sensor. I also replaced both knock sensors and harness. Got it all back together today and its still doing the same damn thing. Still throwing the same code. Once it cranks the car idles perfect. When I drive it the car drives great. The problem is when cranking. I don't know what else to do. Any ideas I'm stumped? Thanks.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts

Here are a few ideas...

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0342
Old 09-05-2019, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jetech
Here are a few ideas...

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0342
Its funny you post that link. I had already been to that exact page. I've checked the battery. Its fine. I didn't notice anything odd looking or amiss about the cam sensor plug or wire. It appeared to be wrapped well. I guess I can take it to my buddys shop and put it on his lift and we can check the starter and wiring next. Maybe I can find a used starter to swap out and test.
Old 09-05-2019, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Swap the wiring pigtail for the sensor and try again. While it's apart trace the wiring back as far as you can go and make sure nothing looks funky.

Also make sure the grounds are tight on the back side of the drivers cylinder head.

Unplug and reconnect the PCM connectors a few times. You wouldn't believe how many issues I've fixed doing only that in my career as a tech. Connections get corroded over time, unplugging and replugging scrapes the pins and sockets and can fix a poor connection.

Go from there and let us know how it's going.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 09-05-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 12:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Swap the wiring pigtail for the sensor and try again. While it's apart trace the wiring back as far as you can go and make sure nothing looks funky.

Also make sure the grounds are tight on the back side of the drivers cylinder head.

Unplug and reconnect the PCM connectors a few times. You wouldn't believe how many issues I've fixed doing only that in my career as a tech. Connections get corroded over time, unplugging and replugging scrapes the pins and sockets and can fix a poor connection.

Go from there and let us know how it's going.
Looks like it was the crank sensor after all. Its starting much better and no code so far or backfiring through intake. After I did all that work. But I did upgrade to the 99 knock sensors and harness while I had the intake off so it wasn't a total loss. Not sure why it was throwing the cam sensor code. Who knows cars and all their quirks can be funny sometimes.
Old 09-06-2019, 02:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Glad you got it fixed. Crank sensor being funky could cause cam/crank correlation to be off and computer may have had a hard time figuring out which one was the culprit.

Also, every once in a while you come across a code that the factory just got wrong. I had a hyundai come in with a fuel temp sensor code error the other day and the problem was the coolant temp sensor on the engine. We found that out after replacing the fuel temp sensor in the fuel tank.

The problem ended up being that the programming used the coolant temp as a check for the fuel temp, after the car sat over night the temps were both supposed to be ambient temp and if there was a disparity then one of the sensors was wrong. That is correct. What they forgot to do at the factory with the programming was to allow the possibility that the coolant temp sensor could be wrong. For whatever reason they just wrote it to where if there was a difference in temp it threw a code for the fuel temp sensor.

Sorry for writing a book, I'm a tech and I see stuff like this sometimes and it's aggravating. On 07-13 GM trucks, they throw codes for the canister vent valve being bad when in fact it works, but the pressure sensor is stuck. Since the system doesn't see a pressure change, it assumes the vent valve isn't operating. Sometimes they just don't think of every possible scenario, and that's understandable.

Sounds like you've found that type of thing with the cam code on these cars.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Glad you got it fixed. Crank sensor being funky could cause cam/crank correlation to be off and computer may have had a hard time figuring out which one was the culprit.

Also, every once in a while you come across a code that the factory just got wrong. I had a hyundai come in with a fuel temp sensor code error the other day and the problem was the coolant temp sensor on the engine. We found that out after replacing the fuel temp sensor in the fuel tank.

The problem ended up being that the programming used the coolant temp as a check for the fuel temp, after the car sat over night the temps were both supposed to be ambient temp and if there was a disparity then one of the sensors was wrong. That is correct. What they forgot to do at the factory with the programming was to allow the possibility that the coolant temp sensor could be wrong. For whatever reason they just wrote it to where if there was a difference in temp it threw a code for the fuel temp sensor.

Sorry for writing a book, I'm a tech and I see stuff like this sometimes and it's aggravating. On 07-13 GM trucks, they throw codes for the canister vent valve being bad when in fact it works, but the pressure sensor is stuck. Since the system doesn't see a pressure change, it assumes the vent valve isn't operating. Sometimes they just don't think of every possible scenario, and that's understandable.

Sounds like you've found that type of thing with the cam code on these cars.
Hey write all you want man. I can learn from guys like you. Besides how could anyone on here possibly get mad at you with that avatar. HA HA HA. Thanks for the guidance.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:10 PM
TECH Veteran

LOL, I don't think you'll ever find a man that doesn't like that avatar
Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you got it fixed! Not sure if you've done this, but you may need to also perform a crank and cam position relearn procedure to synchronize. Sounds like you're good to go though. I actually had a similar issue but my motor wouldn't fire until I cycled the crank 3 times. I started out replacing crank sensor as that's about 100x easier to replace than the cam pos sensor. It was on my way to get the crank relearn I saw my tac needle drop to 0. Bingo...cam pos sensor. Here I am today as I just swapped out the sensor and have the intake manifold back on the car. Time to torque it down to spec and cross the fingers lol
Old 09-12-2019, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Agreed, getting the cam/crank sync done is a good idea with new sensors.

Any shop with a decent scanner can do it
The following users liked this post:
NoSmokies (09-12-2019)
Old 09-17-2019, 08:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Piggy backing off the OP here but I was in a similar situation as stated above. After I replaced the cam sensor the car fired up just fine. I let the motor idle a few minutes, checked for vacuum leaks, anything out of place and seemed okay so I drove the car around the block. About 5 minutes into a normal drive the tac needle again dropped to 0 and the random misfire came back.

This usually always happens within the first 5 minutes of the cruise and lasts only a minute or two until the needle finds it's place again and the car drives normally. If I were to do a quick pull at this point the engine will shut off at high RPM. While I had the intake manifold off I inspected that 6" to 8" of exposed wiring to check for breaks or corrosion and it looked okay.

My thought at this point is an ECU issue. The motor is stock besides a lid and HP tune done at reputable race shop.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:05 AM
TECH Veteran

ECU issues are extremely rare so I wouldn't bet on it being the computer. It can be, but usually not.

Quick Reply: Replaced cam sensor still not right?