Sponsored by:

Callies 8 counter weight crank vs non-counterweight crank

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Callies 8 counter weight crank vs non-counterweight crank

What is the benefit of the Callies 8-Counterweight crankshaft over K1 or Summit that do not have counterweights?

Does it still require the rotating assembly to be balanced?
Does it end up more precisely balanced?
Old 03-26-2020, 04:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

They are stronger, and harmonically better / balance better, especially at extreme rpm.

They don't, however, fit oem blocks, because the center counterweights wont clear. Significant machine work or an aftermarket block is needed.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:26 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by FCar2000TA
What is the benefit of the Callies 8-Counterweight crankshaft over K1 or Summit that do not have counterweights?

Does it still require the rotating assembly to be balanced?
Does it end up more precisely balanced?
Without the counterweights, the crank can flex a lot at higher RPM and at higher power levels. The #2 and #4 main bearings start to show excessive wear and the thrust faces on #3 will too. If you’re not turning more than 7500RPM or making more than 1000whp on a 4” crank, it’s probably not going to be a problem.

You still have to have the crank balanced as you normally would. The center counterweights don’t exactly make the crank more precisely balanced, it more or less just counter balances a part of the crank that didn’t need to be for the power levels they were originally designed for.
The following users liked this post:
Corona (04-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2020, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Thanks for the inputs. That eliminates the 8 counterweight crank for me.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed one in a ls 7. It wasn't a big deal to get it into the block. a little die grinder clearance on the center main journal was all it took. Its a better crank.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Without the counterweights, the crank can flex a lot at higher RPM and at higher power levels. The #2 and #4 main bearings start to show excessive wear and the thrust faces on #3 will too. If you’re not turning more than 7500RPM or making more than 1000whp on a 4” crank, it’s probably not going to be a problem.

You still have to have the crank balanced as you normally would. The center counterweights don’t exactly make the crank more precisely balanced, it more or less just counter balances a part of the crank that didn’t need to be for the power levels they were originally designed for.
KCS, I've read a lot of your threads over the years and enjoy following your builds, anyways don't read my build thread lol, but anyways how much counterweight difference on average would you find between a stock 5.3 crank vs. a stock 6.0 or 6.2 crank in your measurements if you don't mind sharing?
Old 03-27-2020, 03:24 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by stockA4
KCS, I've read a lot of your threads over the years and enjoy following your builds, anyways don't read my build thread lol, but anyways how much counterweight difference on average would you find between a stock 5.3 crank vs. a stock 6.0 or 6.2 crank in your measurements if you don't mind sharing?
Hey thanks. I did read through your 6.2L build thread, it was really well done

I wish I could give you an answer, but I never really kept track of that when balancing cranks. It's kind of difficult anyways since the bobweights can vary so much. I think to do it right, you would need to record the target bobweight, how far off the crank is on the front and rear, and then obviously what crank it came out of. I have a stock stroke LS2 and an LC9 I'm building, so when I get the cranks balanced for those builds, I'll keep track of those and post up the results.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (03-27-2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 04:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 711 Likes on 445 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

So what’s this Callie’s CCW crank cost? Not that I’m ready to replace my Molnar.

Was mentioned with a little work they go into an LS7 block. I’ve never seen an LS7 block. What about the other blocks?
Old 03-27-2020, 06:49 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

It's about $250 more than the standard Compstar.

I almost went that way but found a good deal on a K1 setup...

Any of the stock blocks require some work. The Compstar actually needs less but still is not a straight drop in IIRC.
Old 03-27-2020, 07:27 PM
8 Second Club

Received 711 Likes on 445 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Thanks. Sadly wasn’t available 3 years ago when I bought the Molnar crank.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Hey thanks. I did read through your 6.2L build thread, it was really well done

I wish I could give you an answer, but I never really kept track of that when balancing cranks. It's kind of difficult anyways since the bobweights can vary so much. I think to do it right, you would need to record the target bobweight, how far off the crank is on the front and rear, and then obviously what crank it came out of. I have a stock stroke LS2 and an LC9 I'm building, so when I get the cranks balanced for those builds, I'll keep track of those and post up the results.
Thanks KCS I appreciate that, I think it would be nice to see what kind of balance difference there is (if any) for the heavier rods (press fit vs. floating), or really just how well the stock assemblies are balanced to begin with for comparison. When we add compression, cam overlap, increase port velocity, and add larger pistons NVH increases anyways though so a poorly balanced bottom end (or one made of good used stock parts that's not balanced at all lol) is likely run ok for a street build Imo
Old 03-31-2020, 09:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get a Dart CCW billet crank for around $1400. Guys have machined the center weights slightly to allownit to fit in LS factory blocks.

I was under.the impression the Callies CCW crank fits with zero mods to block or crank into factory GM?

Quick Reply: Callies 8 counter weight crank vs non-counterweight crank