99 LS1 upgrade/rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 99 LS1 upgrade/rebuild

Need some opinions/ ideas/ suggestions on getting my LS1 going

i have a 99 30th anniversary Trans am
stock LS1. Going in to have the engine rebuilt due to problems from long ago. What I’m wanting to do is keep the car stock looking as stock as possible to keep the anniversary collectible part of the car. But while having the engine taken out of the car and rebuilt I’m wanting to get more pony’s.(Don’t we all). Instead of just putting everything back 100% stock I figured why not upgrade some things that won’t be noticeable when looking at it.
My goal would be in the 400 + range (450 🤞&#127996
been doing some research but you guys are the ones who know this stuff so go straight to the source.

would new pistons, cam, and maybe LS6 heads be a good starting place? I’ looking for something that can be driven daily if needed and will be a reliable running car

thanks for any help

if you have anymore questions don’t hesitate.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 451 Likes on 346 Posts

Sounds like all you need is a cam and springs. A good intake would also help
What problems are you having with the current engine?
Old 08-19-2020, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ls7colorado
Sounds like all you need is a cam and springs. A good intake would also help
What problems are you having with the current engine?
well..... how to give you the most info in the shortest amount of typing space. Short and sweet
1999 Trans Am (30th anniversary)
stock LS1 6 speed Hurst. 40,xxx miles
bought used from dealership in 02
put 600 miles and heard a tick, bent pushrods
dealership replaced under warranty
100 miles later ticking noise again, more bent push rods
tore the top end off and multiple piston have scarring marks from striking the heads.
basically the car has sat like this, covered in my garage with the top end still off it.

so when the shop gets started on it I just wanted to get a couple options to throw around when he gets to rebuilding the engine
Old 08-19-2020, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, that’s a new one. How bad are the marks on top of the pistons? Pretty sure you can’t really bore the early ls1 blocks so if you rebuild a slight hone is all that should be required.
How do the cylinder walls look?
Has the timing chain been checked?

Thats a extremely nice car to be sitting like that!
Old 08-19-2020, 10:33 AM
On The Tree

Wow, that’s a new one. How bad are the marks on top of the pistons? Pretty sure you can’t really bore the early ls1 blocks so if you rebuild a slight hone is all that should be required.
How do the cylinder walls look?
Has the timing chain been checked?

Thats a extremely nice car to be sitting like that!
youre telling me. Imagine being 18 years old. Get this car Drive it for 1-2 months and then it just sits in the garage. It was a nightmare.
not sure how the block, cyclinder walls, timing, or anything is yet. Should be getting it out of the car within the next month and we’ll know more. But for what it’s worth I thought I remember the mechanic saying back in 02 that the block and walls seemed fine but who knows and how he really knew, I don’t know.
but since I’ve been waiting so long I think it needs a little boost to the engine to make up for lost time
Old 08-19-2020, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whats the budget? Might be easier to just go with another engine at this point and save that one to keep since the car is kinda rare.
Dude I still cant get over the fact that you have had a 30th anniversary TA sitting there for 18 years and haven't fixed it!!!!!! Gotta be my favorite 4th gen BY FAR and its a 6 speed!!!!
I would have 400,000 miles on that thing by now lol!

Would be best to get the engine out and see what all it actually needs before making assumptions though. Can you take pictures and post them of the engine? Mainly the piston tops/cylinder walls
Old 08-19-2020, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Budget-that’s the question. I’m thinking/hoping around $5-7k. But I will know more when we get the engine out and tore down.
hopefully getting the care into a shop within the next couple weeks

heres a little backstory in the 18 year wait.....
I was a senior in high school in 2002. I’m going to buy a motorcycle. Always loved them. My dad did not want me to buy one. So he bought the Trans Am for me in his name. For 2 years we were fighting the dealership and the extended warranty company to no avail. The car was in the garage, covered and just sat.
but I’m starting to get excited again for this car and to get it running again
Old 08-19-2020, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Whats the budget? Might be easier to just go with another engine at this point and save that one to keep since the car is kinda rare.
Dude I still cant get over the fact that you have had a 30th anniversary TA sitting there for 18 years and haven't fixed it!!!!!! Gotta be my favorite 4th gen BY FAR and its a 6 speed!!!!
I would have 400,000 miles on that thing by now lol!

Would be best to get the engine out and see what all it actually needs before making assumptions though. Can you take pictures and post them of the engine? Mainly the piston tops/cylinder walls
I’ll get a couple of pics posted up tonight
Old 08-19-2020, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Wow, so I suppose you both just got burnt out on it and once it sat for a few years it just kinda.... got forgotten lol

Also you will need to drop the fuel tank and clean it out, replace pump and clean out lines for sure.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:44 AM
On The Tree

Wow, so I suppose you both just got burnt out on it and once it sat for a few years it just kinda.... got forgotten lol

Also you will need to drop the fuel tank and clean it out, replace pump and clean out lines for sure.
I never forgot about it. Believe me. It sat in my parents garage and was the cause of some tension between my father and me. But I’ve finally got possession of the car (put the car in my fathers name in 02 for insurance reasons, I was 18 years old ,to save some money and it not being in my name is another reason it sat)
my dad had some personal issues so I knew one day I would get it and just had to move on and wait for that day. It has finally come and I feel like a 18 year old kid again. Very excited to get this on the road.
yes the fuel tank, lines, everything is going to be flushed, checked, replaced if needed. I stressed this issue to the shop side spoken too so they understand what needs to be done and not just a engine rebuild.
ok here’s a couple pics. Please don’t kill me. I haven’t had this car at my house so I’m not 100% to blame for this.

2 bent push rods

I’m ashamed/embarrassed of this

The most pronounced piston mark

Another Piston with gouge on top left of head

Another pic or worst Piston mark
Old 08-20-2020, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Those liners are toast, at this point you may want to look at buying a good used ls1 pullout or swapping to an ls3 and just save your original block, or get a fresh short block and have someone go over the heads and put whatever cam/valvtrain you want to do in it. If you want a stock/sleeper look you could always do a cheater cam setup with ported factory 241's.
Old 08-20-2020, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

https://golenengineservice.com/lsx-c...6-short-block/
Old 08-20-2020, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by speedfreak440
Those liners are toast, at this point you may want to look at buying a good used ls1 pullout or swapping to an ls3 and just save your original block, or get a fresh short block and have someone go over the heads and put whatever cam/valvtrain you want to do in it. If you want a stock/sleeper look you could always do a cheater cam setup with ported factory 241's.
can you elaborate on the “liners are toast”. Honestly I have no idea and trying to learn. I’m assuming your talking about the cylinder walls? Does this mean if this was the only problem the block is no good? Sorry for my ignorance. Trying to learn. Thanks for any help
Old 08-20-2020, 08:20 AM
On The Tree

This would be a sweet option. Do you have any experience with these motors/company?
Old 08-20-2020, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

$6,000 isnt going to get you very far if your paying a shop. The labor is going to be crazy high for what needs to be done.
And it does appear that those liners (cylinder walls) have some deep rust pitting.
I would still pull the engine, put it on a stand and try a light hone with alot of oil to see if they will clean up before preceding any further.

Labor alone will be half your budget, There are lots of options if you and a friend could do this work yourselves.

You can get a L76 from a G8 or a L77 from a caprice (witch is a aluminum 6.0 with LS3 topend) for under 3,000 Do a cam, springs, and lifters for around $1000 and have a 500HP combo with enough left over for exhaust and fuel system cleaning/pump if you can save the labor.
The following users liked this post:
bigbomber5 (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

$6,000 isnt going to get you very far if your paying a shop. The labor is going to be crazy high for what needs to be done.
And it does appear that those liners (cylinder walls) have some deep rust pitting.
I would still pull the engine, put it on a stand and try a light hone with alot of oil to see if they will clean up before preceding any further.

Labor alone will be half your budget, There are lots of options if you and a friend could do this work yourselves.

You can get a L76 from a G8 or a L77 from a caprice (witch is a aluminum 6.0 with LS3 topend) for under 3,000 Do a cam, springs, and lifters for around $1000 and have a 500HP combo with enough left over for exhaust and fuel system cleaning/pump if you can save the labor.
we’ll see how things go once we pull the engine and check out the actual damage.
The following users liked this post:
Ls7colorado (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by JaceDaniel83
This would be a sweet option. Do you have any experience with these motors/company?
They are local to me and came highly recommended. My 99 z28 needs a short block, i plan on buying a forged one from them when the time comes.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z
They are local to me and came highly recommended. My 99 z28 needs a short block, i plan on buying a forged one from them when the time comes.
thank you for the help
Old 08-20-2020, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

ill see if I can get a little better pictures for you guys. Those pictures are from nothing touching it for 18 years. Let me see if I can just wipe them out a little and maybe we can try notice anything else
Old 08-20-2020, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by JaceDaniel83
can you elaborate on the “liners are toast”. Honestly I have no idea and trying to learn. I’m assuming your talking about the cylinder walls? Does this mean if this was the only problem the block is no good? Sorry for my ignorance. Trying to learn. Thanks for any help
Looks like they are pitted pretty deep but I'll agree with LS7COLORADO it wouldn't hurt anything to get it apart and just see if they will clean up, also as previously stated some of the 6.0 stuff can be had cheap, I have an L92 in mine that I got a good deal on just don't forget to keep in mind some of the additional costs if you swap something else in with different sensor locations and whatnot, all that little stuff adds up.

Quick Reply: 99 LS1 upgrade/rebuild