Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street CAM thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2020, 08:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 851 Likes on 652 Posts

Mavn had great success with the Summit Ghost cam. I have some bucking with my BTR stage 2 at low rpm mostly while cruising in 6th gear.
Old 09-16-2020, 09:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Kfxguy
your welcome.
You're*
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 635 Likes on 488 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Mavn had great success with the Summit Ghost cam. I have some bucking with my BTR stage 2 at low rpm mostly while cruising in 6th gear.
yea, I bought that cam from him.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SLP IROC-Z
You're*

Petty.
The following 3 users liked this post by Kfxguy:
G Atsma (09-16-2020), Tyler Dietzenbach (09-17-2020), wannafbody (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 03:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 381 Likes on 279 Posts

I plead the 5th. I did not get fired from there or leave on bad terms either.
What was your actual position and job duties there?
G Atsma (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 06:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BCNUL8R
What was your actual position and job duties there?

damn. Where do I begin. So....
I ran the cnc mill, cnc lathe, the hobb machine and the straightener. Depends on what was going on, I might be cutting billet blanks out, loading the blanks in cnc mill, cutting the empty spaces between the lobes and journeys, and then drilling and tapping the holes for the cam gear bolts. Then I may be in the mill room, putting the blanks in and cutting the rough cut lobes, changing bits when they wear out. Or cutting the gears on the cam (depending on cam). And then they get sent off for plating and heat treat. Then I got to use this huge electric hydraulic press that you spin the cam with dial indicators and straighten it out. Final grinding finishes straightening. What was title? Umm, didn’t really have a title. Just did what I was told. Lol.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

damn. Where do I begin. So....
I ran the cnc mill, cnc lathe, the hobb machine and the straightener. Depends on what was going on, I might be cutting billet blanks out, loading the blanks in cnc mill, cutting the empty spaces between the lobes and journeys, and then drilling and tapping the holes for the cam gear bolts. Then I may be in the mill room, putting the blanks in and cutting the rough cut lobes, changing bits when they wear out. Or cutting the gears on the cam (depending on cam). And then they get sent off for plating and heat treat. Then I got to use this huge electric hydraulic press that you spin the cam with dial indicators and straighten it out. Final grinding finishes straightening. What was title? Umm, didn’t really have a title. Just did what I was told. Lol.
Well good thing you left before I bought my cam...LOL...I'm really happy with the cam I got from them so maybe quality went up after you left? LOL...I'm totally playing don't get worked up.
Old 09-16-2020, 07:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Well good thing you left before I bought my cam...LOL...I'm really happy with the cam I got from them so maybe quality went up after you left? LOL...I'm totally playing don't get worked up.
yea you better be playing. You was about to get a knuckle sandwich.

when I was there, we mainly did the cores for comp cams. Mainly sbc, some ford and bbc. I don’t remember how long I worked there. It was just a blip on my radar at this point.

btw, there was no quality issue with their cams. The only issue I have with them is if you call and get a recommendation on a cam, you will likely get something a bit smaller than you desire. If you spec your own then you should be good. I just prefer the off she shelf grinds that summit and Texas speed offer. I don’t like BTR cams either. The one I had just didn’t work well and was harder to tune than it should have been. It killed too much idle torque. Personal preference.

Last edited by Kfxguy; 09-16-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

yea you better be playing. You was about to get a knuckle sandwich.

when I was there, we mainly did the cores for comp cams. Mainly sbc, some ford and bbc. I don’t remember how long I worked there. It was just a blip on my radar at this point.

btw, there was no quality issue with their cams. The only issue I have with them is if you call and get a recommendation on a cam, you will likely get something a bit smaller than you desire. If you spec your own then you should be good. I just prefer the off she shelf grinds that summit and Texas speed offer. I don’t like BTR cams either. The one I had just didn’t work well and was harder to tune than it should have been. It killed too much idle torque. Personal preference.
Knuckle sandwich? Harsh man...LOL. The cam they spec'd me was actually larger than I expected in terms of duration by a good bit, but I'm very happy with it. Nothing against anyone else just who I chose to go with and I'm happy it does what I wanted it to.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Knuckle sandwich? Harsh man...LOL. The cam they spec'd me was actually larger than I expected in terms of duration by a good bit, but I'm very happy with it. Nothing against anyone else just who I chose to go with and I'm happy it does what I wanted it to.

I know. I’m just a harsh kind of guy. Lol.

well maybe they finally got with the program.
Old 09-17-2020, 09:43 AM

Received 1,851 Likes on 1,152 Posts

I will say this much... When I spec cams for others, if I get stuck on a fine line between two or three cam specs, I will usually err on the slightly smaller one, unless dedicated racing. The reason is that for most people, an extra two degrees isn't going to be noticeable SOTP for power, but the PITA factor will be. It's like shopping around for breast implants with your girl. There is no subtle change from just right to too big. they're just suddenly too big and you don't like them. Slightly smaller, still looks great and lots of fun. Same with cams. you often won't miss the extra two degrees, but you will absolutely hate it when it's too much for your tastes.

So I can understand erring slightly small in some cases. it's especially tricky, because you have to avoid superimposing your own preferences onto the customer. My personal tolerance for cams is pretty high. Current cam in my 440 is 256/270 with .747/.729 lift. And I think it might could take more cam.
The following 2 users liked this post by Darth_V8r:
BCNUL8R (09-17-2020), Pulse Red (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I will say this much... When I spec cams for others, if I get stuck on a fine line between two or three cam specs, I will usually err on the slightly smaller one, unless dedicated racing. The reason is that for most people, an extra two degrees isn't going to be noticeable SOTP for power, but the PITA factor will be. It's like shopping around for breast implants with your girl. There is no subtle change from just right to too big. they're just suddenly too big and you don't like them. Slightly smaller, still looks great and lots of fun. Same with cams. you often won't miss the extra two degrees, but you will absolutely hate it when it's too much for your tastes.

So I can understand erring slightly small in some cases. it's especially tricky, because you have to avoid superimposing your own preferences onto the customer. My personal tolerance for cams is pretty high. Current cam in my 440 is 256/270 with .747/.729 lift. And I think it might could take more cam.
Ex employees are a lot like ex girl friends too. No matter how good of terms you think you leave on they rarely have anything nice to say about you. Lol. Most people would think a 232/248 116 lsa on a 5 degree advance is a little large for a procharged 377, but I love this thing.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Ex employees are a lot like ex girl friends too. No matter how good of terms you think you leave on they rarely have anything nice to say about you. Lol. Most people would think a 232/248 116 lsa on a 5 degree advance is a little large for a procharged 377, but I love this thing.

I bet @CAMMOTION PERF has an interesting side to this story. I have a feeling popcorn is about to be needed.
G Atsma (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:37 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I bet @CAMMOTION PERF has an interesting side to this story. I have a feeling popcorn is about to be needed.
Probably not worth it. They just had a guy go 4.3x in the 1/8th with a hydraulic roller. Results speak for themselves.
G Atsma (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

He didn't bash them so not sure what the story would be.
G Atsma (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

We all forgot 1 very important thing when it comes to adding a stall. You MUST find a way to continually monitor trans temps. Personally, I use an Aeroforce Interceptor.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
He didn't bash them so not sure what the story would be.
When you say...I used to work at cam motion and I’d recommend someone else like summit or Texas speed...it’s easy to see an implicit meaning or underlying tone there. He was more straight forward about btr by saying he doesn’t like them though.

I actually have parts from summit, tsp, cam motion, btr, as well as others so it isn’t really any of my concern just something I picked up on.
00pooterSS (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,747 Likes on 1,304 Posts

When you say...I used to work at cam motion and I’d recommend someone else like summit or Texas speed...it’s easy to see an implicit meaning or underlying tone there. He was more straight forward about btr by saying he doesn’t like them though.

I actually have parts from summit, tsp, cam motion, btr, as well as others so it isn’t really any of my concern just something I picked up on.
And then you asked him what exactly he did there and he was explicit, if not overly forthcoming, with his roles and responsibilities. There's about a million reasons he could prefer one over the other. I'm simply saying he didn't share some horror story so if someone wants to jump to conclusions from basic information.....welcome to the internet I much prefer Cam Motion over BTR, but that's just me.
The following 3 users liked this post by ddnspider:
68Formula (09-17-2020), Kfxguy (09-17-2020), NAVYBLUE210 (09-18-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ddnspider
And then you asked him what exactly he did there and he was explicit, if not overly forthcoming, with his roles and responsibilities. There's about a million reasons he could prefer one over the other. I'm simply saying he didn't share some horror story so if someone wants to jump to conclusions from basic information.....welcome to the internet I much prefer Cam Motion over BTR, but that's just me.
ya ok I’m always the bad guy lol then he also replied regarding cam motion. “Maybe they finally got with the program”. Lol. I read to much into that as well.
00pooterSS (09-17-2020)
Old 09-17-2020, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

I have an idea. Stop hijacking this thread with crap. Any moderators around? Half this crap needs removed.

Quick Reply: Street CAM thoughts