Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Enginetech pistons for 6.0L

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Enginetech pistons for 6.0L

Looking at Enginetech pistons for 6.0 LQ9. I can't find any info on what piston manufacturer makes these for Enginetech. Anyone know? Thanks.
Old 11-09-2020, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Enginetech pistons for oem replacement is an excellent value . lot of bang for the buck !I use a lot of these parts if your thinking of using any of their other parts pm me for review and recommendations.
The following 3 users liked this post by omc8:
G Atsma (11-09-2020), Homer_Simpson (12-22-2021), mattt (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 07:14 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,219 Posts

Originally Posted by omc8
Enginetech pistons for oem replacement is an excellent value . lot of bang for the buck !I use a lot of these parts if your thinking of using any of their other parts pm me for review and recommendations.
Please don’t keep the review private. Lots of folks would like to know this info. I’ve personally used Enginetech pistons and rings in stock rebuilds and even mild builds and they work great for a replacement piston/ring set.
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (11-09-2020), Homer_Simpson (07-28-2023), mattt (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 380 Likes on 252 Posts

I've used their LS "Fire Seal" gasket sets and they worked great on factory builds.
The following users liked this post:
mattt (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you everyone for the replies. Enginetech is just a re-boxed (brand name) part, correct? For example, Enginetech does not have their own piston casting plant, correct? Anyone know what manufacturer makes pistons for Enginetech?
Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:22 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,219 Posts

Enginetech is a distribution company, that has other companies inside it, some involved in the aerospace industry. I’m not sure that they make any of their products themselves, but along those same lines, the vast majority of the high end performance companies have been bought and sold throughout the years. The Enginetech pistons “look” a lot like TRW to me, but I wouldn’t say for sure that they are TRW. That type of info would likely be hard to find. With as much product today coming from overseas, there’s no telling who makes the stuff.
The following 3 users liked this post by Che70velle:
G Atsma (11-10-2020), mattt (11-10-2020), RedXray (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 03:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Enginetech is a distribution company, that has other companies inside it
I've read their rod & main bearings were manufactured by King Bearings...
but I'm sure they would re-box another companies product if they can buy a large supply at a low price.
G Atsma (11-11-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I am not sure of their sourcing today, but for instance a few years ago their racing valves were sourced from Argentina and Elgin produced alot of their timing sets. I agree the pistons appear to be sourced from TRW. I have heard that a lot of their gaskets are sourced from Victor, a decent price competitive company.

I have used their products on and off for years without trouble. I have a set of multi layered HGs on my gen III now. The build quality was good and the steel was thick unlike some of the other stuff.
billymgb1000 (11-12-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

I contacted Enginetech directly and asked this question. They would not share what mfg. does their pistons. They would only share country of origin for the P5041 piston and told me it is from Mexico. Anyone know if TRW, Silvolite, or Mahle have a piston mfg plant in Mexico? Thx
Old 11-13-2020, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mattt
I contacted Enginetech directly and asked this question. They would not share what mfg. does their pistons. They would only share country of origin for the P5041 piston and told me it is from Mexico. Anyone know if TRW, Silvolite, or Mahle have a piston mfg plant in Mexico? Thx
I am not sure about those manufacturers, but it seems probable. Everyone has a plant in Mexico or China or someplace these days.
mattt (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 478 Likes on 329 Posts

Silv-O-lite brand name is owned by UEM "United Engine & Machine" and they do have a Piston manufacturing plant in Mexico.

They may be Private label manufacturing for Engine tech.
The following 2 users liked this post by 1FastBrick:
DualQuadDave (01-01-2024), mattt (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 01:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good info guys, thank you. I've also wondered about this company and the pricing seems pretty reasonable. Glad to hear many have had real world experience with good results.
mattt (11-13-2020)
Old 11-13-2020, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Please don’t keep the review private. Lots of folks would like to know this info. I’ve personally used Enginetech pistons and rings in stock rebuilds and even mild builds and they work great for a replacement piston/ring set.
I'm of the opinion that all members should be able to voice their reviews and feedback in this forum but unfortunately in the past this hasn't always been the case we should be free to post honest and accurate information on any business or Sellers and how they represent those products and service. When censorship takes place it can make one reluctant to express any criticism and or favorable experiences
mattt (11-13-2020)
Old 11-14-2020, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

They don't make TRW pistons anymore...

Originally Posted by Campbell Enterprise
TRW brand pistons are no longer in production. Although many people still refer to TRW pistons and TRW auto parts, they no longer exist. TRW pistons became part of the Speed Pro Pistons line many years ago. Speed Pro pistons are available in both forged and hypereutectic piston sets.
They are not "Sealed Power/Speed Pro" as they do not have the speed pro lightning bolt logo on the skirts. That said they could be NOS (new old stock) TRW's from years back but that's a wild guess lol. The "Silvolite" pistons don't have the black coating on the tops like the Enginetech's. The "Safety" brand pistons (SP26165) do have the coating on the top of the pistons like the Enginetech's. The mystery piston brand plot thickens
Old 11-14-2020, 07:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

From Silv-O-lite for a 6.0L I am working on. Just under the bar code, it says made in Mexico.

I dont have the Engine Tech set as the ones we recieved were rough so we sent them back. Maybe some one else can post some engine tech pistons.

mattt (11-18-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 08:17 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the pics of the Silv-o-lite pistons. I have a set of the Enginetech's here already, pics attached. I'm just trying to figured out what pistons these are in the Enginetech boxes. At first I thought the casting marks were the same as the Silv-o-lites, but on further inspection they're close but not exactly the same. If only Enginetech wasn't so tight with their mfg info.

Old 11-18-2020, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

These were picked up to build an LQ9 replacement for an 04 Tahoe. I've been considering taking a crack at the assembly myself. I've never assembled an LS, but have done a few Ford engines in the past. With work and the holidays in play now, time is in shorter supply than I'd like to be able to get this done this year.

Looking for referrals in Southern California that could assemble this pile of parts and help with a tune once it is installed in the Tahoe? Not sure if anyone here is in Socal or this is the right forum to ask this info in, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Thank you in advance.
Old 11-19-2020, 04:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

These were picked up to build an LQ9 replacement for an 04 Tahoe. I've been considering taking a crack at the assembly myself. I've never assembled an LS, but have done a few Ford engines in the past. With work and the holidays in play now, time is in shorter supply than I'd like to be able to get this done this year.

Looking for referrals in Southern California that could assemble this pile of parts and help with a tune once it is installed in the Tahoe? Not sure if anyone here is in Socal or this is the right forum to ask this info in, but I figured I'd throw it out there. Thank you in advance.
I came from the SBC, BBC and AMC engine building world with a few Olds, Buick, International and Ford builds here and there. The LS is a well designed platform and for me it was an easy intuitive assembly. The only quirk compared to any other platform is the number 5 main caps odd placement. The number 5 cap stamping goes on the opposite side. An easy mistake for first time LS builders that don't remember removal or don't have a manual. The other mistake is ordering the wrong head bolts as the newer gen3 (2003+) went to an equal length head bolt... and don't forget to install the barbell lol.

I've attached the LQ9 engine manual if you decide to build it yourself.

Number 5 main cap

Enginetech pistons for 6.0L-kkmctce.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
6.0 Manual.pdf (2.93 MB, 308 views)
mattt (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice looking pistons. I like the raised webbing under the crown. It helps to dissipate heat and adds strength. The machining appears good too.
mattt (11-19-2020)
Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where in So Cal?

Definitely a different casting than the Silv-O-lite.
mattt (11-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Enginetech pistons for 6.0L