Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant under the valve covers/blow by

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so head gasket by the look of it. This is 6 and 8 side by side. 8 is the cleaner one.

this is not from the side I untorqued and retorqued. What’s peoples thoughts on doing both head gaskets at the same time?

also anyone use ft/p for torquing stock bolts vs the angle? I’ve don’t it twice that way now and have been dealing with this.

Will also do the block sanding trick I saw on here with the lever and sand paper to try and assure a flat surface.

Old 06-10-2022, 08:49 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by Malicious_Art
Thanks all for the comments, I’ll try to answer what I can:

im located in Australia, so we’re in winter atm. Not crazy cold but seeing 4c overnight 8-14c highs.

I had the problem with stock ls valve covers, and had them potentially worse now with the Holley sbc adaptor valve covers. Definitely see the point in the pvc outlets being under sized in those. I’ll look at drilling some new bigger holes out - also ones that align better with the sbc valve covers I’m using to hide the coils. Is 3/8 ok with a bigger valve cover outlet? Or will I need to upsize the hose?

the pvc system is hooked up but with out a valve. Two lines come out of the valve covers T and joint a baffled catch can. That loops back to one of the two throttle bodies. And when it’s been running a while I can see it throw some froth into the throttle. This is what alerted me that I hadn’t solved the issue with the new heads and head gaskets. All 3/8 hose and aluminium hard lines.

are you all suggesting vented instead of looped back engine vac catch cans instead?

I’ve just ran a coolant system pressure test and it’s got a slow leak when cold for sure. Took a few minutes but when from 1.1~ ish bar down to about 0.6bar. So there is a leak somewhere

I’ve done a visual and touch check on the following places:
rad hoses
thermo housing (just replaced and the thermostat)
heater core hoses (all new and new core went in while dealing with this - had a loop back went to a new core)
water pump to the block
steam vent fittings (I’m running two braided lines and T’d them together into the top rad hose)

all with no signs of moisture.

im going to run it again and several more times but any other thoughts on where it could be?

if I can find anything after a few more runs through I’ll start pulling plugs for signs.

also the retainers aren’t rusty, it’s baked on oil, it was a junkyard engine. I’ve cleaned parts as I go as best I could but didn’t see the point in going too hard there as it was just gonna get filthy again anyway.
Sure looks like rust on number 2 exhaust retainer. My apologies, it’s always a gamble by looking at internet pics. I wouldn’t have been surprised as that’s an awful lot of liquid getting in there somehow to make that much whipped cream.
Old 06-10-2022, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Sure looks like rust on number 2 exhaust retainer. My apologies, it’s always a gamble by looking at internet pics. I wouldn’t have been surprised as that’s an awful lot of liquid getting in there somehow to make that much whipped cream.
no stress. I’ll recheck when I blow it apart I guess. But pretty confident it’s just baked on oil.

I’m just in a place of, do I just do the gaskets again and hope for the best or do I need to go further. Get the block checked or replace with a 6lt cast iron bottom end.

I really dislike doing the same thing multiple times especially when it’s a pain and there is no guarantee that’ll solve it….
Old 06-17-2022, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,041 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by Malicious_Art
Ok so head gasket by the look of it. This is 6 and 8 side by side. 8 is the cleaner one.

this is not from the side I untorqued and retorqued. What’s peoples thoughts on doing both head gaskets at the same time?

also anyone use ft/p for torquing stock bolts vs the angle? I’ve don’t it twice that way now and have been dealing with this.

Will also do the block sanding trick I saw on here with the lever and sand paper to try and assure a flat surface.

Don't, don't, DON'T mix and match ft/lbs and TTY fasteners!!!! The OEM engineers cost GM MILLIONS of dollars each year in wages/benefits, so they listened when they went to TTY, and for good reason: It's more accurate than a torque wrench. That said, I use a torque wrench, but NOT on TTY fasteners!! If youre going to go with just a torque wrench, go with ARP bolts or studs. If going with the TTY fasteners, go with NEW TTY fasteners, and get an angle gauge!!! TTY without an angle gauge and just a torque wrench are as compatible as oil and water, which you may be experiencing literally!!! As for the "block sanding", find an industrial supply and get a flat hone "brick". Norton makes them, for one example. They are about 6" long×2" wide×1" thick, and have a coarse side and a fine side. They work great on block decks and on a head surface. If they "load up", just spray some oil on it and rub the brick on a metal surface, preferably steel or CI, rather than aluminum, and they clean and expose new, sharper grit. Once you've used one, you'll wonder why you've never had one before. If you already have one, you're ahead of the game...

Last edited by grinder11; 06-17-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Coolant under the valve covers/blow by