Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spun bearing from machine shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2022, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spun bearing from machine shop

Picked up my ls1 5.7 from machine shop they did an entire block package for me ,align hone, power done , deck , pressed cam bearings... I told the guy that it had a spun bearing in number two bearing journal that nicked the block a bit he said the align hone shoulda took it off but when I got back today chip was still there I thought they woulda welded a little metal mabey and then align honed it to fill in the nick.. check out the pictures I have close up of damage #2 journal and the number 1 u think the bearings would be ok or should I take it back?

Last pick is damage one.
Old 06-07-2022, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

That does not look like what I am used to for a line bore.. Way too rough and no matching cutter marks on the block side..
Old 06-07-2022, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead
That does not look like what I am used to for a line bore.. Way too rough and no matching cutter marks on the block side..
so u think they didn't even line bore it? Any who what do u think about the defect? U think the new bearing inside would move ? My bro mentioned using some jb weld lol
Old 06-07-2022, 06:36 AM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

I agree, it doesn’t look like it was line honed.
The following 2 users liked this post by KCS:
G Atsma (06-07-2022), ultimega (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 06:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

That was not machined. A line bore would have corresponding machining marks from block to cap. That shop screwed you.. I used to machine blocks and that looks like trash.
As for the damage, I would have touched it up with a file or whatever it would take to square it up and make it right. But the shop I worked in...we didn't half-*** anything.
Right is right...wrong is wrong.... and..... maybe is twice as wrong
The following 2 users liked this post by SAPPER:
G Atsma (06-07-2022), ultimega (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SAPPER
That was not machined. A line bore would have corresponding machining marks from block to cap. That shop screwed you.. I used to machine blocks and that looks like trash.
As for the damage, I would have touched it up with a file or whatever it would take to square it up and make it right. But the shop I worked in...we didn't half-*** anything.
Right is right...wrong is wrong.... and..... maybe is twice as wrong
Damm I think ima have to take it back and tell them man.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (06-07-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

You can still see numbers from the bearing in that last picture.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:01 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,559 Likes on 2,189 Posts

Originally Posted by theunderlord
You can still see numbers from the bearing in that last picture.
First thing I noticed. If the numbers were a bit more clear, I could read what bearing you ran. This block was not line honed.
Old 06-07-2022, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 467 Likes on 354 Posts

I see an "8" and a backwards "5" (the 8 is backwards too of course )
Old 06-07-2022, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 254 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimega
Damm I think ima have to take it back and tell them man.
Uhh...Take it back??? No you take these pictures back and your receipt and tell them to pay you back the charge for the line hone. Then go find yourself a real machine shop.

Also, update your profile. We have no idea where you're located. That helps with ppl knowing where you're at, where to go for reputable work, etc. That's one of the most important things about a forum. members helping members. A lot of great friendships were made through this forum. No matter where you're at, a member is near you and can help.
And don't be afraid to blast that shop on here either i.e. name / location. That tells others to stay away from there so they don't get screwed too.

Last edited by SAPPER; 06-07-2022 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by SAPPER:
G Atsma (06-08-2022), ultimega (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SAPPER
Uhh...Take it back??? No you take these pictures back and your receipt and tell them to pay you back the charge for the line hone. Then go find yourself a real machine shop.

Also, update your profile. We have no idea where you're located. That helps with ppl knowing where you're at, where to go for reputable work, etc. That's one of the most important things about a forum. members helping members. A lot of great friendships were made through this forum. No matter where you're at, a member is near you and can help.
And don't be afraid to blast that shop on here either i.e. name / location. That tells others to stay away from there so they don't get screwed too.
Damm I feel like the biggest noob haha .. my brothers the mechanic he shoulda came with me .. i live in socal i went to L&R engines in sante fe springs .. the dude derek seemed pretty helpful though .. the mains do have marks on them like it was aligned honed but very lightly either way I wanted them to take care of that chip

Quick Reply: Spun bearing from machine shop