Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2023 | 08:25 AM
Teching In

Default Need help!!!

hey so i’m new to this forum, i ended up building my first engine, from an old 03 5.3 i bought because my old one blew in my 2000 silverado, i did everything as i should (or atleast i hope i did) but i started her, ended up swapping the cam while i was at it, it’s a texas speed stage 3 cam along with ls7 lifters, the springs and the pushrods, ended up getting it tuned from a guy ended up saying he tuned it for a stage 2 but that it should still run good so not entirely sure if that could also cause this, but the truck idles high and is accelerating on its own, and wants to stall when i put it in reverse, won’t go over 30 mph but will rev up on its own, not sure what it could be i’m beginning to lose my mind PLEASE HELP!
Old 02-23-2023 | 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Drive by wire? Is the throttle body and IAC valve clean? SES light on? May not have had enough time to throw any codes yet but have you checked to see if you have any? Anytime you disconnect the battery for any length of time the ECU will need to relearn.
Old 02-23-2023 | 08:43 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Drive by wire? Is the throttle body and IAC valve clean? SES light on? May not have had enough time to throw any codes yet but have you checked to see if you have any? Anytime you disconnect the battery for any length of time the ECU will need to relearn.
no it’s a drive by cable, i scanned it for any codes and the only thing that popped up was my MAF sensor was bad, but i’m thinking about switching my throttle body along with the sensors that are on it
Old 02-23-2023 | 08:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1Slowstepside
no it’s a drive by cable, i scanned it for nah codes and the only thing that popped up was my MAF sensor was bad, but i’m thinking about switching my throttle body along with the sensors that are on it
my headers also glow red on idle, which makes me think it’s running lean, but was told that it could also be because of my bad MAF sensor
Old 02-23-2023 | 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Try cleaning the MAF and see if that fixes it. The ECU getting incorrect MAF readings will cause idle and fueling issues.
Old 02-23-2023 | 12:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Try cleaning the MAF and see if that fixes it. The ECU getting incorrect MAF readings will cause idle and fueling issues.
thanks! i will try that and let you know if it helped! i really appreciate it!
Old 02-24-2023 | 09:20 AM
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1Slowstepside
my headers also glow red on idle, which makes me think it’s running lean, but was told that it could also be because of my bad MAF sensor
Really hot exhaust temps can also be a side effect of retarded ignition timing. Not saying that's the cause, just throwing it out there.
Old 02-24-2023 | 09:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by grinder11
Really hot exhaust temps can also be a side effect of retarded ignition timing. Not saying that's the cause, just throwing it out there.
is there any other signs of a retarded timing? i rebuilt the engine myself and remembered lining up the dots the best i could, but if there’s other ways to confirm if it is the timing pls let me know! i’ll be picking up my new MAF sensor today along with my TPS and IAC Valve, i will keep y’all updated! thanks!

Quick Reply: Need help!!!