Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 04 gmc sierra with the Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e has a low torque issue.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 04 gmc sierra with the Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e has a low torque issue.

When I first got the truck it shifted crisper but wouldn’t rev above 3-4 thousand but still could get up to 70-80 overtime. Replaced maf sensor and fixed that but still wasn’t fixing the torque issue. Thing won’t even spin a tire on a dirt. Not sure if it’s maybe torque converter or maybe something internal or fluid pressure wise. Also looks like previous owner messed around with aftermarket speakers and various other things like the engine harness looks like it’s been re done with electrical tape around most of it. First ls so wanna know where I should put my money first.
as of now I know I need to replace alternator but would those be potential signs of a alternator on it’s way out?
Old 02-19-2024, 12:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Bcassidy32
When I first got the truck it shifted crisper but wouldn’t rev above 3-4 thousand but still could get up to 70-80 overtime. Replaced maf sensor and fixed that but still wasn’t fixing the torque issue. Thing won’t even spin a tire on a dirt. Not sure if it’s maybe torque converter or maybe something internal or fluid pressure wise. Also looks like previous owner messed around with aftermarket speakers and various other things like the engine harness looks like it’s been re done with electrical tape around most of it. First ls so wanna know where I should put my money first.
as of now I know I need to replace alternator but would those be potential signs of a alternator on it’s way out?
curious what color this truck is. I had a red 04 Sierra xtended cab red, with a forged 6.0 and a 4L80 topped off with a whipple. Traded it in 2013.

Have you checked the tune at all? Low timing could be an issue for lack of power. Also if the thing is going pick rich when in PE mode.
TQ management could also be an issue.

Old 02-19-2024, 01:14 PM
Teching In

that’s the ole girl. But haven’t had it tuned no assumed it was more mechanical wise. Put it through scanner got nothing but low voltage on knock sensor and fuel tank pressure sensor but didn’t think it’d really be that affecting my power that much. Was thinking lack of oil pressure maybe, running like 30-35 right now. Had an oil change a couple months back didn’t see to notice a difference in performance .Noticed around the oil filter and the filter itself is covered in oil.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 161 Likes on 117 Posts

Changed the fuel filter lately ? It's on the frame rail, drivers side.
Stock, factory LQ4 Tune had really lazy spark timing, and the PE was set PIG RICH, but with a lot of delay, and 90% tps.
They respond to basic tuning VERY WELL.
Decent tune will get you right to the duty cycle limits of your stock 25 pound injectors.
Stock LQ4 with decent tune and good fuel pressure will turn tires briskly on any surface.
Old 02-19-2024, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 201 Posts

Is it taking off in 2nd gear?
Old 02-19-2024, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 321 Likes on 218 Posts

On the stock tune my 2006 GMC 2500 6.0L 4L80E, PE is 5500 rpm and 60 seconds...chances of this thing going into PE are slim to none...
Old 02-19-2024, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

Received 161 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by CattleAc
On the stock tune my 2006 GMC 2500 6.0L 4L80E, PE is 5500 rpm and 60 seconds...chances of this thing going into PE are slim to none...
There's a LOT of room to improve on the factory tune.
A dozen drunk monkeys with a keyboard could accidentally write a better than stock LQ4 tune.
Old 02-19-2024, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Full Power
There's a LOT of room to improve on the factory tune.
A dozen drunk monkeys with a keyboard could accidentally write a better than stock LQ4 tune.
Even still, surely they aren’t so weak that they can’t spin out in dirt? Ole boy says that his can’t. Even a ‘90 Ford Tempo can spin out on a dirt road. Surely something is wrong with his.
OP
Does it run & idle ok and just takes off real slow? Put it in 1st instead of D and see how that does. Is there a 2nd you can shift into? If so take off from a stop in 2nd and see if it acts the same as in D. Once upon a time my MAF was dirty and it was causing it to start out in 2nd gear. I didn’t realize it was taking off in 2nd at first, but it felt like I was pulling a boat anchor. I’m not saying it’s the MAF, but if it’s not running crappy and it’s just uber sluggish, I have a suspicion that for some reason or another it’s taking off in second gear. If it’s misfiring etc, then it’s something else..
The sign of an alternator going out is a dead battery. A sign of an alternator with not enough amps is dim lights.
I’d put my money towards the not being able to take off normally.
Stock cam and converter??

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 02-19-2024 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 01:13 PM
Teching In

Going into 1&2 seem to not change anything did a little more diggin and found the part of the ignition coil that connects by the manifolds was disconnected guessing that’s what’s causing it can’t believe I never noticed it before. Guess that’s what I get for not knowing much but caught it hanging in one of the brackets. Guts telling me to replace it which I think I will but you think it’d be ok to run for now just for further maintenance? Plugged it back in and now she sounds cammed.

Attached Thumbnails My 04 gmc sierra with the Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e has a low torque issue.-img_0413.jpeg  
Old 02-20-2024, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Y2K_Frenzy
Even still, surely they aren’t so weak that they can’t spin out in dirt? Ole boy says that his can’t. Even a ‘90 Ford Tempo can spin out on a dirt road. Surely something is wrong with his.
OP
Does it run & idle ok and just takes off real slow? Put it in 1st instead of D and see how that does. Is there a 2nd you can shift into? If so take off from a stop in 2nd and see if it acts the same as in D. Once upon a time my MAF was dirty and it was causing it to start out in 2nd gear. I didn’t realize it was taking off in 2nd at first, but it felt like I was pulling a boat anchor. I’m not saying it’s the MAF, but if it’s not running crappy and it’s just uber sluggish, I have a suspicion that for some reason or another it’s taking off in second gear. If it’s misfiring etc, then it’s something else..
The sign of an alternator going out is a dead battery. A sign of an alternator with not enough amps is dim lights.
I’d put my money towards the not being able to take off normally.
Stock cam and converter??
I tried the 1-2 thing taking off in first it just seems normal it’s like almost the engines overworking compared to the rest of the truck when I hit the gas. It’ll rev all the way up and just seem like a 18 speed semi truck with how much speed there’s is to rpm’s
Old 02-20-2024, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bcassidy32
Going into 1&2 seem to not change anything did a little more diggin and found the part of the ignition coil that connects by the manifolds was disconnected guessing that’s what’s causing it can’t believe I never noticed it before. Guess that’s what I get for not knowing much but caught it hanging in one of the brackets. Guts telling me to replace it which I think I will but you think it’d be ok to run for now just for further maintenance? Plugged it back in and now she sounds cammed.
So when you took off in 2nd it acted the same as when you take off in Drive, or was starting out in second worse? When you’re in drive is or anytime I suppose, is the transmission slipping? Like you give it gas and the motor revs up but it doesn’t move right away?
Also, the coil was unplugged and when you plugged it in it started misfiring? Weird sht..
Old 03-16-2024, 01:35 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Learning a lot here thank you

Quick Reply: My 04 gmc sierra with the Lq4 6.0 and 4l80e has a low torque issue.