Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed to 160 t-stat now car idle's wierd??

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed to 160 t-stat now car idle's wierd??

I changed out my stock tstat with a 160 one the other day. Now when the car is cold, and I start it, the car will rev up to 1,100 rpms and down to normal, then up again, then down to normal, and the temp gauge to flicker up and down...It sounds like the car has a huge cam in it. Can the 2 be related??? Has anyone else had there gauge flicker when going with the 160 stat???

I have the egr removed and plugged up the manifold with a expansion plug...( the car has ran fine with it for like a month now). I pulled off the maf and that looked fine. I also swapped it out with a buddys and the car still did it. I also put the egr back on and it still did it. The car didnt throw any codes either. But when the car is at normal temp the gauge will stay where it nornmaly is, and the reving goes away. I also removed the air.

Has anyone ever heard of this, or any ideas on where to begin to fix it?? thanks alot.

Just so you know, Its a 99 SS M6.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:05 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Changed to 160 t-stat now car idle's wierd??

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MUSTANG HAT'R:
<strong> its a sensor around your throtle body, forget what one. take your freinds car and unplug his one by one until you get the same symptom. It could also be a vacum leak a can of carb cleaner will find that. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Well when I changed out the t-stat I did it like they said from install-universaty.com. When I was filling up the radatior, I unplugged the 4 sensors, the one in the air box, the maf, and the 2 on the throttle body. I also took off the hose that comes off the throttle body and goes into the metal line, but put that back on.

And with the carb cleaner, where do I spray that?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just a guess, but if the coolant temp reading
is bouncing up and down (like from having air
in the top of the water jacket) you may be
bouncing in and out of cold idle / hot idle
"programs". The temperature gauge should
be dog slow, if it's moving then there's
something abnormal there. Try re-purging
the coolant like the install indicates.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by jimmyblue:
<strong> Try re-purging
the coolant like the install indicates. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry but what exactly do you mean by re-purging?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

This is off installuniversaty.....

Read this whole step before proceeding any further.

Remove your radiator cap and place a funnel in the radiator. Begin to pour your radiator fluid down the funnel slowly (see Figure 14). While you pour the 50/50 mixture down into the radiator keep an eye on the rubber hose you disconnected that exits the throttle body. You will actually be able to hear air escaping out of the hose. When you see coolant exit out of the hose you know you have removed most of the air out of the coolant system (see Figure 15). You must pour slowly or coolant will come out of the rubber hose prematurely and you will reconnect the hose too early.

It took is about 4 quarts for fluid to come out of the rubber hose when a drop of coolant was added to the radiator. When this scenario happens reconnect the rubber hose (see Figure 16). Then continue to pour the fluid into the radiator filling it up to the top where it was when you first started this install.

That hose that I disconnected, once the fluid cam out I stopped filling it and re-connected the hose, could this be my problem??

<small>[ March 25, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: YIKESS ]</small>
Old 03-25-2003, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

...sounds like air is trapped in your system,,,

....you can also remove trapped air by opening the radiator cap when car is cold ...start the engine with the cap off and run it for 10 minutes....replace the cap and go!
Old 03-25-2003, 05:34 PM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by MUSTANG HAT'R:
<strong> highly dought that the air pocket would just sit there like that. even with a 160 degree start you car will still run around 200 degree until you adjust your fan settings. did you un hook the battery?? might be loose causing your gauges to fliker and idle problems, if its not that then its one of the thing i mentioned above. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No I didnt un-hook the battery, and I did change the fan temps using ls1edit.
Old 03-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

<strong> how low are they??? check your closed loop setting might have to lower it, that could be the problem didnt relize you messed with the fan settings. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I changed the fan settings to

First fan

on-184
off-175

2nd fan

on-195
off-185

When you say check your close loop setting, what exactly does that mean?
Old 03-25-2003, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

<strong> theres a temp setting that you can change with ls1 edit so that you come out of closed loop sooner. I dont have my laptop with me or I would explain it better just look for a little bit and you will find the closed loop section its in there. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I set the fan temps on my buddy's 00 SS with the same settings, using edit and his car isnt doing this.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

TTT...

Also, the sensor that screws into the drivers side head, in the front above the #1 plug, if that was broke, would that cause the gauge to flicker and for the car to rev up and down like that??
Old 03-26-2003, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pro Stock John:
<strong> Autotap that parameter and if it's weird like showing low and negative readings you have to replace it. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I Ataped the car tonight and the readings for that sensor were going up and down. So I am assuming the sensor went bad. Am I correct?
Old 03-27-2003, 12:35 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,160 Likes on 754 Posts

That's a coolant temp sensor and it's very important, if it's broken the car will run weird the pcm will run the car phat to protect.

Autotap that parameter and if it's weird like showing low and negative readings you have to replace it.
Old 03-27-2003, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Pro Stock John:
<strong> That's a coolant temp sensor and it's very important, if it's broken the car will run weird the pcm will run the car phat to protect.

Autotap that parameter and if it's weird like showing low and negative readings you have to replace it. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks for the info. I am gonna try atap tonight.