Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket part #'s needed for cam swap.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gasket part #'s needed for cam swap.

I need the gm part #'s for the water pump gaskets, timing cover gasket, timing cover seal, harmonic balancer bolt, oil pan gasket. Also would like to know where to buy a longer than stock crank bolt for installing the pulley. And any other gaskets needed. Or if anyone knows a better place to get these gaskets let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

www.thunderracing.com
They have a cam swap gasket package that comes with valve cover gaskets, crank bolt, water pump gaskets, timing cover gasket, and front engine seal for about $40. You won't need the oil pan gasket becaus it doesn't need to come off, just drop the pan about 1" and that should give you the clearance you need to mess with the oil dipstick tube/oil pump. Also, I see you're going to use a double roller chain, don't forget to install the washers so the block can get oil pressure.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:24 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Krab
www.thunderracing.com
They have a cam swap gasket package that comes with valve cover gaskets, crank bolt, water pump gaskets, timing cover gasket, and front engine seal for about $40. You won't need the oil pan gasket becaus it doesn't need to come off, just drop the pan about 1" and that should give you the clearance you need to mess with the oil dipstick tube/oil pump. Also, I see you're going to use a double roller chain, don't forget to install the washers so the block can get oil pressure.
, though i bought mine for TSP because they were cheaper . price for basic cam/bolt gasket kit, ported ls6 pump, and rolllmaster double cam to 250 shipped if i remember right.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am wanting the part #'s cause i dont need the valve cover gaskets that thunder sells. Mine are in great shape. I think gm parts direct might be a little cheaper. Any Idea where to get the longer crank bolt? I think my oil pan has a slight leak thats why i want to change that gasket. Should I just put some rtv sealant around the pan where the gasket goes rather than getting a whole new gasket?
Old 10-12-2004, 08:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAmJo
I am wanting the part #'s cause i dont need the valve cover gaskets that thunder sells. Mine are in great shape. I think gm parts direct might be a little cheaper. Any Idea where to get the longer crank bolt? I think my oil pan has a slight leak thats why i want to change that gasket. Should I just put some rtv sealant around the pan where the gasket goes rather than getting a whole new gasket?
you plan on dropping the whole oil pain , you'll need support the engine and drop the k-member to change the gasket. also the TSP doesnt come with the valve cover gaskets. and GM parts direct is never cheaper, the part might be but they rape on shipping. best bet price is TR, TSP, or buy w/ the part numbers from SDPC or paceparts.

as far as the longer crank bolt check your local hardware store. do a search for the right length and pitch you need.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont you have to drop the pan a little to get the oil pump in? i would think i could sneek the new gasket in there. Is there not enough room to squeze a new gasket in there? I am not quite sure how to adjust the timing with the timing set i have (see sig) and tips on how to advance or retard timing the set says it can advance or retard 2,4,6 or 8 degrees.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

You do have to drop the oil pan a little to get the oil pump in, but you don't have to completely drop it. You might just be able to get the new gasket in there without dropping the whole thing though. Just leave one of the bolts on towards the back, then move the gasket to the side, get another bolt in and make sure it doesn't pinch the old gasket, unbolt the bolt that is holding the gasket inplace and remove the old gasket. Then, just repeat the process backwards to put the new one back in. This would be a real pain in the *** though, but I guess it could be done if you're persistent enough. Dropping the whole oil pan would be even more work.

I believe these are the part numbers you're looking for:

Frong cover gasket- 12558013
Front main seal- 12561244
Water pump gaskets- 12559271
Harmonic balancer bolt- 12557840
Old 10-13-2004, 09:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for reasuring that I could do it. Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing. Thanks for the part #'s also. But the timing cover seal part # is not ciming up on gm parts direct.

Last edited by TransAmJo; 10-13-2004 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:27 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from JMX's site:

- 2 Water pump gaskets for 1997-98 model cars (2x GMPN 12559271)
- 1 front engine seal (1x GMPN 12561244)
Old 10-13-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just called the dealership and they said that the part # 12561244 is no longer available through gm directly. any other ideas on were to get this seal? Just to note the other 3 gaskets came to a total of $17.44 so unless that seal is like $30 the sponsers are overcharging for the cam swap gasket kit unless they r selling better gaskets. Plus shipping on top of there price. I looks like going to the dealer is going to be a lot cheaper.

Quick Reply: Gasket part #'s needed for cam swap.