Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice On Sleeving Ls1

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 01:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Advice On Sleeving Ls1

i am considering taking an ls1 stock block and resleeving it to a bigger cube not sure what size yet,however i am a little concerned with the longevity of the motor and block strength.my6 question is when resleeving to a bigger bore or sleeve or whatever what are the dangers that i should be aware of because iv'e gotten alot of good and bad feedback from some people that are not stupid and know what they're talking about.but i figured i would get a few more befor i make a decision. and if anyone has done this please fill me in on how ya like it and how much it costed and anyother points you care to make thanks guys and gals.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

nobody has done this or knows anyone.that's not good.little help gang
Old 10-13-2004, 05:00 PM
8 Second Club

chill man someone will post but not in 3 hours
Old 10-13-2004, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

ttt.....
Old 10-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I have never done it before, but I know what they do to the block. They remove the current sleeve, set the compound and put in the new sleeve. Easy you might be thinking? Not even close. One of the things that could happen is that the sleeve would slide up and move around. But this and the stregth is totally dependent on the machine work. I wouldn't just go to any machine shop for this type of job on the LS1. If I were you I would do it. These guys are the best. They invented the technology to re-sleeve the LS1 and I haven't heard ONE complaint.

Agostino Racing Engines (ARE)
1652A Bayly Street
Pickering, Ontario, Canada L1W
1L9
905/420.9195
www.agostino-racing.com

Give them a holla, you wont be dissapointed.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would contact "Steve - Race Eng". His website is www.raceenginedevelopment.com/ He does the darton wet sleeves. They may not be as cheap as the dry slip in sleeves, but they are much stronger and reliable.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:12 PM
TECH Junkie

You NEED to contact Steve @ Race Engine Development. He's all the advice you need.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although, you might be closer to Agostino, I'd stil call Steve. Find out who can do it cheaper for you and don't forget shipping costs (back and forth) either one is known for their great work. If you pick up a copy of LS1 High performance, they show a bit of the resleeve process as they build up a 418 LS1 at Agostino Racing. Steve on the other hand is the co-developer of the Darton wet sleeve.

HTH
David
Old 10-14-2004, 12:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 145 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Darton MID resleeve

I saw your question along with a few fellows recommending you contact me about the resleeving.

The Darton wet sleeve was designed to eliminate the sleeve dropping problems, leaking, out of round, etc. associated with the dry sleeve installations. Basically the entire original cylinder wall is removed to the bottom of the water jacket with a CNC mill. The lower area of the cylinder is bored to receive the sleeve. The sleeve has three o'rings in this lower area to prevent coolant leaks into the crankcase. The upper flange area of the sleeve is supported by the original deck of the block.

These are true wet sleeves, just like in diesel engines. You can replace them individually if the need arises.

Most opt for a 4.125" bore and 4" stroke yielding 427 cubic inches. Kits are available from several sources.

You can send me a pm or e-mail message and I will quote you a price on the installation.

As the guys mentioned, I am a co-designer of the sleeve and perfected the machining, installation for Darton. We were just issued a patent on the sleeve and installation from the US Patent office 6699541. Details can be viewed online at: www.uspto.gov by entering the patent number in the search field.

Steve Demirjian
Race Engine Development

Originally Posted by blkmgc1
i am considering taking an ls1 stock block and resleeving it to a bigger cube not sure what size yet,however i am a little concerned with the longevity of the motor and block strength.my6 question is when resleeving to a bigger bore or sleeve or whatever what are the dangers that i should be aware of because iv'e gotten alot of good and bad feedback from some people that are not stupid and know what they're talking about.but i figured i would get a few more befor i make a decision. and if anyone has done this please fill me in on how ya like it and how much it costed and anyother points you care to make thanks guys and gals.
Attached Thumbnails Advice On Sleeving Ls1-ls1-finish-machined.jpg   Advice On Sleeving Ls1-ls6-mid-sleeve-lower-area.gif   Advice On Sleeving Ls1-ls6-stand.jpg  
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 10-14-2004, 06:59 AM
On The Tree

I cannot afford it at the moment and maybe not ever but I would like to know a ball park figure of the cost of the resleeving excluding any other components like pistons etc.
Thanks. Great Jpegs.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extreme ballpark figure is around $2400~2600. This wouldn't include any parts or Line bore, deck height, finish hone....Basically add $2500 (ballpark) to a regular build up cost.

David
Old 10-14-2004, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Extreme ballpark figure is around $2400~2600. This wouldn't include any parts or Line bore, deck height, finish hone....Basically add $2500 (ballpark) to a regular build up cost.

David
Thanks Dave.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

thanks for all the info gentlemen.makes the decision easier.....alot easier anyway i will talk to steve i think he said was his name anyway thanks again all.