Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFR 205s with G5X3

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up AFR 205s with G5X3

Ive finnally decided after being here on this site for a couple months. I will be running the AFRs 205 with the G5X3 on a 114lsa, long tubes, and ls6intake w/ported tb for now, later will upgrade to fast 90mm intake and tb. I hope I get as good of results as some of the other posts Ive had read! My car is a 2001 SS M6 with slp options and 18in. chrome Z06 wheels. Also putting in a 12 bolt w/ 410. My main concern is spanking my buddies 03 cobra with all the bolt ons and a big mouth and head to go with it. I will also put on the NOS system that goes under the injectors w/a 125-150 sot if needed. Hoping for mid to low 11s on motor and somewhere in the 10s with the spray, traction permitting. Anyone recommend who to purchase these heads and cam package from, best deal? Thanks for all the knowledge! Good site Also any performance shops out there that want the bragging rights after I complete the build up I would appreciate the help and definately send more buisness your way> THANKS!!!!!!!!

Last edited by NO5.0; 01-20-2005 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added info
Old 01-20-2005, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would just go to LG, and have him hook you up w/ a package deal.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:08 PM
8 Second Club

Don't forget that u need to mill the heads .040 and run the .045 cometic gasket. I personaly would go with a G5X3 on a 112 as it makes more power and narrows the powerband slightly-you will have to flycut as well to be safe. I think Texas-Speed has the best price for the AFR's-they sell them with the PRC duals good to .650 and they will mill them too and offer free shipping( i think something like $2180 shipped).
Old 01-20-2005, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Vortech
Don't forget that u need to mill the heads .040 and run the .045 cometic gasket. I personaly would go with a G5X3 on a 112 as it makes more power and narrows the powerband slightly-you will have to flycut as well to be safe. I think Texas-Speed has the best price for the AFR's-they sell them with the PRC duals good to .650 and they will mill them too and offer free shipping( i think something like $2180 shipped).
Thats why Im not going with the G5X3 on a 112lsa because I would have to flycut. Im trying to stay away from flycutting the pistons because Im not experinced in doing that and there isnt much room under the hood of an f-body. Besides if I was going to flycut I would have bought the 225s and bigger cam. thanks though any other advice?
Old 01-20-2005, 01:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NO5.0
Thats why Im not going with the G5X3 on a 112lsa because I would have to flycut. Im trying to stay away from flycutting the pistons because Im not experinced in doing that and there isnt much room under the hood of an f-body. Besides if I was going to flycut I would have bought the 225s and bigger cam. thanks though any other advice?
ANYBODY?????????????????????? THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-20-2005, 01:55 PM
8 Second Club

I think you may want to rethink shaving the heads and flycutting-Z06 guys are getting 470RWHP through a stock TB and LS6 intake, 495RWHP with the FAST 90MM.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:03 PM
11 Second Club

i like ur idea, and u do want to stay away from flycutting the pistons when ur running h/c and possibly 100 shot +..
Old 01-20-2005, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

I think you may want to rethink shaving the heads and flycutting-Z06 guys are getting 470RWHP through a stock TB and LS6 intake, 495RWHP with the FAST 90MM.
LG motorsports just had a Z06 with same setup (heads cam, G5X3 ON A 114lsa) pulled 486rwhp and 437rwtq, no flycutting.62cc .040 gasket.Im not sure how to pull the post and paste it?
Old 01-20-2005, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

wow... that should guarantee u atleast 445-455 then right? im jealous.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Found the site but not sure how to put it on the post? Heres how it reads. https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/247112-g5x3-cam-lg-afr-90mm-intake-tb.html
Old 01-20-2005, 02:36 PM
8 Second Club

Read the post-the heads are 59CC and the piston were flycut-geez buddy i'm just trying to help yah out-if you wanna run that cam, spay it, miss a shift or tag the limter it's your poor motor that's gonna be toast. You're gonna have to flycut-whay do u want to cut corners? Here read-it's form the same thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Did you guys have to flycut the pistons with those heads??? Great Numbers

We do anyway, because we want to make sure that even with a missed shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3-4 shift, you won't tag the valves.

Thanks
Lou G
972-429-1963
Old 01-20-2005, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

Read the post-the heads are 59CC and the piston were flycut-geez buddy i'm just trying to help yah out-if you wanna run that cam, spay it, miss a shift or tag the limter it's your poor motor that's gonna be toast. You're gonna have to flycut-whay do u want to cut corners? Here read-it's form the same thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
Did you guys have to flycut the pistons with those heads??? Great Numbers

We do anyway, because we want to make sure that even with a missed shift from 3rd to 2nd instead of 3-4 shift, you won't tag the valves.

Thanks
Lou G
972-429-1963
Yeah I did read it. I just thought going with 62cc would give me the room, besides I didnt want that much compression anyways. Thanks though man I do aprreciate the help. Keep it coming so I dont make a costly mistake.
Old 01-20-2005, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you want to make for power? G5x3 112, stock, non milled AFRs and a stock LS6 gasket will net you almost 10.3:1, and a good number to boot.

Milling and thinner gaskets are used on the other packages, but we netted 450/41x with the smaller G5x1 cam and AFRs on a stock LS6 intake and stock ported TB.

Email me at- Louis@LGMotorsports.com and I can get you setup with the right package you are looking for
Old 01-20-2005, 03:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Louis
What do you want to make for power? G5x3 112, stock, non milled AFRs and a stock LS6 gasket will net you almost 10.3:1, and a good number to boot.

Milling and thinner gaskets are used on the other packages, but we netted 450/41x with the smaller G5x1 cam and AFRs on a stock LS6 intake and stock ported TB.

Email me at- Louis@LGMotorsports.com and I can get you setup with the right package you are looking for
thanks LOU, I was trying to get as close to 500rwhp as possible but i understand that peak #s are not everything and that a strong useable pwr range is. I liked what i read in the 486hp thread and plan on eventually running the fast intake and tb. Compression as long as its under 11.0:1 and dont have to flycut i will be satisfied. get me close to 500 rwhp with useable pwr range and if i need more i will add n20. Thanks and im not sure if ican email u from my work site? ill try
Old 01-20-2005, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

LOU, cant e-mail you from my work site and cant receive email cuz its a temporary address so i can post for now. answer back on this thread if possible. thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

Dude if you make your way over to the west side look for me on Woodward this summer in a very loud black FRC. I will be running a similar combo but with less cam and more compression (I did not want to flycut and I do not spin past 6200).
LS6 intake, 62cc AFR's, 222/222 566/566, LGM longtubes. It will be fun to run em.

Good luck with your set-up ! Although you really do benefit from upping the compression with such a big cam and then lowering quench to prevent the subsequent detonation (amoung other things) I hope you have at least the 3.42 gear as well.
I see Lou sells 59cc's for 11:1 (after the flycut required) with the X3. BTW 62cc and no flycut is close. You better not miss a shift or anything AFR's are expensive.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500 whp is going to be tough to achieve with out bumping the compression up a full point and getting the quench correct with the right gasket.

A 90mm manifold is a must, as well as all of the other essential bolt ons.

Send me a PM on the board here if you cannot get an Email out

Louis
Old 01-20-2005, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mirek
Dude if you make your way over to the west side look for me on Woodward this summer in a very loud black FRC. I will be running a similar combo but with less cam and more compression (I did not want to flycut and I do not spin past 6200).
LS6 intake, 62cc AFR's, 222/222 566/566, LGM longtubes. It will be fun to run em.

Good luck with your set-up ! Although you really do benefit from upping the compression with such a big cam and then lowering quench to prevent the subsequent detonation (amoung other things) I hope you have at least the 3.42 gear as well.
I see Lou sells 59cc's for 11:1 (after the flycut required) with the X3. BTW 62cc and no flycut is close. You better not miss a shift or anything AFR's are expensive.
sounds great, Im all spun around now and not sure what to do at this point. How hard is flycutting with motor in vehicle? what did your combo dyno after the AFRs? did you run at the track?
Old 01-20-2005, 07:25 PM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default COMBINATION!!....most important

Guys...

Been busy or I would have hopped on here sooner to comment on something I see all too often.

You cant "have your cake and eat it to"....at least most of the time and this situation certainly qualifies as one of them.

Let me elaborate....Installing a cam as large as a GX3 (no matter what LSA) and trying to get away without notching pistons for valve clearance is penney wise and dollar foolish. You MIGHT get away with it with un-milled AFR's out of the box at 66 cc's, but you will still have minimal clearance (which could be a problem if RPM's get away from you in the water box or perhaps a missed shift)....this is not a "desirable" situation. What's even worse is that a stock 66cc head and an X3 cam is NOT a good combination. You could make close to the SAME or perhaps slightly more peak power with a smaller 224 stick because you would have the room to hike the CR up to 11-11.25 to 1, not to mention have much more torque and HP down low from the smaller cam and the higher compression. The average power and torque would simply be alot higher and it would be a much more street friendly set-up. I'm not advocating for everyone to go with a smaller camshaft, what I'm saying is if your taking the plunge with a fairly aggressive cam grind (230 + duration), you need to bump the CR to 11 to 1 minimum, and notch the pistons for adequate valve clearance so your not on the ragged edge (to help avoid tagging a valve in an unforseen situation).

Just because you MIGHT be able to squeeze an X3 cam in your motor with an un-milled AFR doesn't necessarily mean it's the smart thing to do....

Combination, combination, combination....can't drive this home enough. I've seen many milder set-ups out gun a more "radical" one because more thought and time went into the other.

I've been meaning to touch bases on this previously and it is not aimed directly at the "creator" of this thread....in fact I'm glad he posted this because it's a topic I've been meaning to hit on for awhile now. Keep it mild or build it radical, but build it "RIGHT" without trying to cut any corners. You will be much happier in the long run with the increased performance and there is a good chance you might have avoided a potential disaster in the future from valve's clipping pistons or worse.

Tony M.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Guys...

Been busy or I would have hopped on here sooner to comment on something I see all too often.

You cant "have your cake and eat it to"....at least most of the time and this situation certainly qualifies as one of them.

Let me elaborate....Installing a cam as large as a GX3 (no matter what LSA) and trying to get away without notching pistons for valve clearance is penney wise and dollar foolish. You MIGHT get away with it with un-milled AFR's out of the box at 66 cc's, but you will still have minimal clearance (which could be a problem if RPM's get away from you in the water box or perhaps a missed shift)....this is not a "desirable" situation. What's even worse is that a stock 66cc head and an X3 cam is NOT a good combination. You could make close to the SAME or perhaps slightly more peak power with a smaller 224 stick because you would have the room to hike the CR up to 11-11.25 to 1, not to mention have much more torque and HP down low from the smaller cam and the higher compression. The average power and torque would simply be alot higher and it would be a much more street friendly set-up. I'm not advocating for everyone to go with a smaller camshaft, what I'm saying is if your taking the plunge with a fairly aggressive cam grind (230 + duration), you need to bump the CR to 11 to 1 minimum, and notch the pistons for adequate valve clearance so your not on the ragged edge (to help avoid tagging a valve in an unforseen situation).

Just because you MIGHT be able to squeeze an X3 cam in your motor with an un-milled AFR doesn't necessarily mean it's the smart thing to do....

Combination, combination, combination....can't drive this home enough. I've seen many milder set-ups out gun a more "radical" one because more thought and time went into the other.

I've been meaning to touch bases on this previously and it is not aimed directly at the "creator" of this thread....in fact I'm glad he posted this because it's a topic I've been meaning to hit on for awhile now. Keep it mild or build it radical, but build it "RIGHT" without trying to cut any corners. You will be much happier in the long run with the increased performance and there is a good chance you might have avoided a potential disaster in the future from valve's clipping pistons or worse.

Tony M.
Tony i appreciate your input and as always is very informative. I always like to ask alot of questions before starting any project especially one that can get as expensive as this one. I by know means want to cut corners but am trying to put the best combination together that will yield me my desired results. If it comes down to flycutting the pistons tell me how to go about it while the motor is still in the f-body? If i can attain my desired results w/out flycutting it would be a heck of a lot easier. What packages can I look towards to give me a beast that will run all over my buddies cobra (03 pulley bolt ons etc.) im looking to run in the mid 11s and ad juice later to break 10s. thanks!

Quick Reply: AFR 205s with G5X3