Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are you guys pulling the motors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are you guys pulling the motors?

not sure if this would go here or not, but since its the engine section i figure ya'll would know.

I have the cherry picker and motor stands.. the heads are off the car so we were iffy about hooking a chain to the head bolts since those have a little to much play in them with no heads on the car.

We tried hooking to the ground bolt holes on both sides of the block, but the chain seemed like it may gash the bottom end.

so how are ya'll going about removing the bottom ends through the top of the car?

are you using that plate that bolts to the valley cover?
Old 01-29-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

out the top.....
Old 01-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 98TAauto
not sure if this would go here or not, but since its the engine section i figure ya'll would know.

I have the cherry picker and motor stands.. the heads are off the car so we were iffy about hooking a chain to the head bolts since those have a little to much play in them with no heads on the car.

We tried hooking to the ground bolt holes on both sides of the block, but the chain seemed like it may gash the bottom end.

so how are ya'll going about removing the bottom ends through the top of the car?

Why wouldnt you want to drop it from the bottom since you have a new K-member coming? Would that be easier? Just a thought.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:34 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

pulled from the top with no tranny. put back in from the bottom with new K, motor, and tranny.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

out the bottom. take about 2hrs to drop engine and transmission
Old 01-29-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Veteran

we were gonna take it out from the top since we didnt have enough time to drop the K member that night. We might just go ahead and drop the k member monday if we have enough time.

do you have to take out the trans to drop it from the bottom or or top?
Old 01-29-2005, 02:06 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by kickassT/A
out the bottom. take about 2hrs to drop engine and transmission

I have done this, well I can't count that many times, but I can have the motor out and off the K-member on to the engine stand in a 45min-1hr. I guess it is easy after you do it so many times. This is the easiest way by far. It is almost easier to take the motor out as it is to do anything else.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

Out the top just watch that damn oil pressure sensor on the back lol.
Old 01-29-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

CJ i hate you. Me and matt can pull a motor/tranny from the top in 3 hours. If we had a lift like u do we could do it in that kinda time.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i pulled the motor with the a4 tranny attatched to it out the top with the heads on..pulled all accessories off front of motor..pulled off intake..i attatched my chains to the head bolts..one in the front driver side head..i believe where the pwr steering brkt bolted..the other on the spare hole on the passanger side head on the back side..have to get the motor at a crazy anlge to get it out..i think i only had like 4 or 5 links in the chain in front and about 3 times that in the back..motor has to be almost straight up and down due to trying to get the tailshaft out to clear... not too bad..
matt
Old 01-29-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Veteran

red, thats the thing though. We dont have the heads on the car. Those head bolts just had a little to much bending/play in them. We didnt wanna strip threads anywhere lol..

Ive got a friend thats gonna make a plate tomrrow for me to attach to the valley cover. So hopefully we can get this pos outta the car monday. Everythings unhooked, just need to lift it up.

Worse come to worse, the k member come sout since the pa racing one is on order already
Old 01-29-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Junkie

If you have the room to do it, take it out from the bottom.

I pulled mine from the top w/o the trans - PITA ~ 10 hours (first time). I put it back in from the top with the trans - Much easier ~ 2 hours

If you are dead set on going from the top, it helps to remove the right motor mount pedestal.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Restricted User

It really comes down to having a hydraulic lift or not. Most people at home rather do it from the top, most peole with shops that have nice hydraulc lifts perfer the bottom.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:35 PM
9 Second Club

red, thats the thing though. We dont have the heads on the car. Those head bolts just had a little to much bending/play in them. We didnt wanna strip threads anywhere lol..

Ive got a friend thats gonna make a plate tomrrow for me to attach to the valley cover. So hopefully we can get this pos outta the car monday. Everythings unhooked, just need to lift it up.

Worse come to worse, the k member come sout since the pa racing one is on order already

The bolts will hold the weight of the motor and tranny with ease. I pulled my iron motor with a PG out from the top before and used the head bolts to attach the chain to the cherry picker.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:44 PM
FormerVendor

From the bottom on a lift with 2 people takes ~2hrs. I wouldn't do it any other way. So much easier. The only potential downfall from going out the bottom is that you will need an alignment. If you are doing some front suspension work at the same time you would need it done anyway.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:38 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Out the bottom 45min-1hour if you know what your doing and 2hrs if you are BSing and taking breaks. I'll post some pics. I've been doing it this way since the 80's on the 3rd gens. Real easy.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:40 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No alignment needed if you don't take loose the lower A-arms. But if you are changing K-members then you will obviously have to get one.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Out the top, chain with head bolts, use shorter bolts that thread in and will tighten up more that way you don't snap the bolt (sideways).

Mine is pretty easy to pull because my car is stripped, but it came out the top pretty easy the first time with the trans still in the car, just put something under the trans to hold it up while the motor is out.

Also, I unhooked my hood supports so I could put the hood straight up, and that helped me get it out.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2005, 09:23 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ussually pull F-body's out the top.Takes me 3 hours by myself including taking out the tranny,all accesory's,intake ect.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Veteran

well we took it outta the top tonight.. came out like a breeze...

had a friend make a plate to bolt to the valley cover today and that worked perfect!
http://www.slowls1.com/mplate2.jpg
http://www.slowls1.com/botend3.jpg