Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eagle H-Beam Failures?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:38 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Eagle H-Beam Failures?

How many of you have actual experience, whether it was yours or someone you actually know, have seen an Eagle H-Beam fail?

thanks

Old 01-31-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

I have seen one bend in a hydro-lock situation but that is not a failure.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told by my engine builder that they switched from Lunati to Eagle because they've had some Lunatis fail, and never an Eagle.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used alot of eagle kits in sbc for drag, circle track and marine and i have never seen one break. I have seen them bend from situations like a hydro lock but never break. or have they been the cause of an engine failure.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Magic Chicken
How many of you have actual experience, whether it was yours or someone you actually know, have seen an Eagle H-Beam fail?

thanks

We have great success the the EAGLE rods,we do mail order quiet a few sets out the door,We have not heard of any failures.I do know if you have a problem~they are great people to work with,you might give them a call if you are experincing problems.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:12 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by crow@sdpc
We have great success the the EAGLE rods,we do mail order quiet a few sets out the door,We have not heard of any failures.I do know if you have a problem~they are great people to work with,you might give them a call if you are experincing problems.
No problems, just looking for failures. The masses say Eagle parts suck, yet I haven't actually seen or heard of an Eagle crank or rod failing.

So far that's 0 ya's (failures) and 4 na's (no failures).

Anyone else?

Old 02-02-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Every rod mfg has has some type of failure. Now was it due to mfg flaw, was it do to engine builder not checking the specifications, was it do to end user abusing the engine. . .this is the question. Eagles are fine for most applications, just be sure they are mic'ed and checked to be within tolerance.

Lunati makes a nice rod. Lunati got a bad rap by engine builders a few years ago after Holley bought them. Some guys that had been on the long deal for years lost there deals because they did not meet the minimum purchase requirements for each level of pricing, so these guys went with other companies.

Any of the cheap chinese rods will work for most applications on the street. You just need to have the rods checked and be sure they have good bolts in them. I have seen rod bolts with APR stamped on the head.

Chris
Old 02-02-2005, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cstraub
Every rod mfg has has some type of failure. Now was it due to mfg flaw, was it do to engine builder not checking the specifications, was it do to end user abusing the engine. . .this is the question. Eagles are fine for most applications, just be sure they are mic'ed and checked to be within tolerance.

Lunati makes a nice rod. Lunati got a bad rap by engine builders a few years ago after Holley bought them. Some guys that had been on the long deal for years lost there deals because they did not meet the minimum purchase requirements for each level of pricing, so these guys went with other companies.

Any of the cheap chinese rods will work for most applications on the street. You just need to have the rods checked and be sure they have good bolts in them. I have seen rod bolts with APR stamped on the head.

Chris
cheap chinese rods?? like wich, name brands?? any of them that we know about.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pic a name, seems to be a new one each week that meets a chinese importer.

Chris
Old 02-02-2005, 07:22 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Eagle are made in China, and Callies new H-Beam rod is made in China.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:35 PM
11 Second Club

ill be running eagle rods with diamond pistons and stock crank..

ive never heard of a rod failing this way except if way to much power was put to it ect. id say they are as good as any other rod for the ls1
Old 02-02-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

o man so eagle and callies are cheap chinese parts, damn they take a good beating though, then the american stuff must kick ***, who is still selling american made stuff???? diamond??
Old 02-02-2005, 07:43 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by zamboxl
o man so eagle and callies are cheap chinese parts, damn they take a good beating though, then the american stuff must kick ***, who is still selling american made stuff???? diamond??
Callies only Chinese part that I'm aware of is their new H-Beam. Callies is more known for their I-Beam rods and cranks. They decided to start marketing this import H-Beam to compete with Eagle. They are forged in China, but finished by Callies in the USA.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cunningham, Carrillo, Lentz, Dyer, Pauter, are all USA made.

Chris

This is not a complete list, but it is the list of companies that I am sure machine 100% of the product in the states. You will be hard pressed to find any company in any industry that doesn't have parts made in China these days.

Last edited by Cstraub; 02-03-2005 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:31 AM

I heard Lunati was made in China as well....

I have Eagle rods in my motor and it sees 7000 RPMs regularly
Old 02-03-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eagle & Lunati parts made in China,aint that a kick in the *****.They must make a fortune they pay there workers 80 cents per hour.
Old 02-03-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
ill be running eagle rods with diamond pistons and stock crank..

ive never heard of a rod failing this way except if way to much power was put to it ect. id say they are as good as any other rod for the ls1

BUMP!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I've never personally seen an Eagle rod fail due to somebody just overpowering the rod.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think if you get in trouble with the Eagles, it'll be because of bolt failure before rod failure. The standard eagle has the ARP 8740 bolts in them, which are the 190k psi versions. I am running eagles in my motor, but opted for the L19 version of the ARP bolt - which added about $100 to the price of the set of rods, but I think at 7300 RPM it's worth it. I would not run the standard ARP bolt, only the upgraded version (but that's just me ).

http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/tech/matspec.html for reading on materials specs for ARP bolts.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to a local Ford shop with a friend who drives Fords , the shop was called Powered by Ford and an employee was showing me an Eagle rod out of a Big Block Ford that had bent severely during a nitrous pass . I only saw the rod but the shop had a collection of various " Racing Carnage" on display .

Quick Reply: Eagle H-Beam Failures?