Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant leak! MTI 427

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
Gm runs a C5r,There is no way a Darton is better than a C5R or they would run one.
I wont believe it and no one will convince me,Put your Darton in a Lemans car and run it for 24Hrs and then tell me its as good.

C5R is the best.
Couldn't agree with you more.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BradWS6
Couldn't agree with you more.
Hi Folks
Remember that car runs 24 hours continuously not like our cars that heat up, cool down, heat up, etc, etc. Sometimes cycling a car engine is more harmful that letting it run continuously and puts more strain on the block. Things expand under continuous use and seal itself.
In my line of work we cycle things at high/low temperatures to find out what will fail.

Just my two cents.
Bill
Old 02-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
The C5R is the ONLY WAY TO GO--------->PERIOD!!!
Nah, I think those LS2 strokers are the way to go. 402cid for 5k less?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:13 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh I agree the LS2 for most of us is the only way to go,And thats what I'll go to down the road.Now if your $$$$$ then its worth buying the C5R block and being able to sleep at night knowing u dont have a leaky pos in your garage
Old 02-25-2005, 10:18 AM
JS
10 Second Club

BS,Holding an engine at 4500 to 8500 rpm for 24hrs with multiple pits is much harder on the engine than everyday driving.The C5R is the best big bore block made,no bs water pumps,no bs coolant and no leaks--------->just plain ole GM know how

I do believe that Steve is the only guy to but the Darton from,he knows how to make the Darton work correctly and is a very smart guy.Everyone else is 2nd fiddle to Steve,but imo if u have 3200 for a block,then u have 6K for a block and I'd spend the extra 2800 on the C5R..

JMHO....
Old 02-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Launching!

Problem with the C5R blocks is the availabilty. I have a friend that wanted to locate one and was told for $6500 he would have to wait maybe months. Other than that yeah he could get one one now for like $9K

I've seen the LS2 dry resleaving process myself and I can say that I think it is much diffrent then sleaving the older blocks. These sleaves I saw cannot drop, it is not just a straight sleave, there is a flange at the top. Max bore is 4.155 due to differences in the water jacket design of the LS2 blocks.

Once these blocks get in use more and are found to be reliable I think they will become more the norm in big bore resleaves.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Anyone saying a aftermarket sleeved block is "as" or "is" stronger than a C5R block is kidding themselves.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Ozz
Launching!

I am one of the pissed off MTI customers and I know plenty more in the same boat. I hope they take care of you, but I would not send anyone to MTI the poor workmanship of the products I have seen from them and the lip service that followed only served to drain my wallet and leave me completely dissatisfied with them. Your best bet is pony up the $$$$ for the C5R second best is go iron block and so on. The good news is once you get past paying for what you wanted 2 or 3 times you will love the 427 :-)
Old 02-25-2005, 01:07 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by BigD
Anyone saying a aftermarket sleeved block is "as" or "is" stronger than a C5R block is kidding themselves.
Don't take this wrong, but do you have either? This isn't a C5R vs. Darton thread. Each have their purpose. I'm not ready at this point to say the sleeves are junk. If they fail again after Steve at Race Engine repairs the block. Then I will be the one saying C5R or iron is the only way to go. Something more expensive isn't (ALWAYS) the better product. Trust me, If I have another problem with this shortblock (thats not caused be me!). Every possible person on earth I can tell will know!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:17 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

BTW, David Coates must have changed his mind. No one from MTI has tried to contact me. Great customer cervice! It's obvious that they don't know how to correct the problem. Sad.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Don't take this wrong, but do you have either? This isn't a C5R vs. Darton thread. Each have their purpose. I'm not ready at this point to say the sleeves are junk. If they fail again after Steve at Race Engine repairs the block. Then I will be the one saying C5R or iron is the only way to go. Something more expensive isn't (ALWAYS) the better product. Trust me, If I have another problem with this shortblock (thats not caused be me!). Every possible person on earth I can tell will know!
BigD had a MTI Sleeved Block, he got 50 miles out his before it leaked coolant. He got his money back. I had one on order and cancelled from what I saw.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:40 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by BradWS6
BigD had a MTI Sleeved Block, he got 50 miles out his before it leaked coolant. He got his money back. I had one on order and cancelled from what I saw.
I see. He has a bad taste in his mouth. Some people talk without having either, they are just going by hear say. I don't blame him.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll say again....5K and not a drop......
Old 02-25-2005, 01:50 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Is the Colonels car still at MTI or Futral?
Just curious,I know the guy is busy with his business/life...
Old 02-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Launching!

I see. He has a bad taste in his mouth. Some people talk without having either, they are just going by hear say. I don't blame him.
Here is my experience with an MTI "dry sleeve" block that dropped sleeves: All I got was my money back for the sleeved block, nothing else. I had to eat the shipping charges to send the block back, the head gaskets/bolts and all my labor. The guy I did the work for then purchased a C5R block and hasn't had a problems. So I guess I am a little biased. Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Did you purchase the 427 directly from MTI or did you purchase it from Speed Inc who then bought it through MTI?
Old 02-25-2005, 03:57 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by maddboost
Did you purchase the 427 directly from MTI or did you purchase it from Speed Inc who then bought it through MTI?
I bought it through Speed inc.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought it through Speed inc.
So then the obvious question... What does Speed, Inc have to say about it? MTI takes your customer information (as you posted) and perhaps can't find anything about you. I would imagine Speed Inc, as the folks you bought it from, may have some leverage... and some responsibility.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BigD
Here is my experience with an MTI "dry sleeve" block that dropped sleeves: All I got was my money back for the sleeved block, nothing else. I had to eat the shipping charges to send the block back, the head gaskets/bolts and all my labor. The guy I did the work for then purchased a C5R block and hasn't had a problems. So I guess I am a little biased. Good Luck!
Did MTI install the block into the car?
Typically, I have never heard of a manufacturer warranting parts and labor on items that they don't install.

MTI installed my Dry-sleeve setup. When I returned the car to them for the wetsleeve, I could have had a free dry sleeve replacement, or the wetsleeve for the price of only the sleeves (cost). No charge for labor.
Old 02-25-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Visceral]Typically, I have never heard of a manufacturer warranting parts and labor on items that they don't install.
QUOTE]

That's correct, b/c none do.

That's the way the industry is.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak! MTI 427