Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sewing machine effect??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default sewing machine effect??

i installed my MTI h/c package last weekend. i must say the sewing machine sound is really loud now. i hear a lot of people on here complain about it a lot, but i think its almost kinda neat soundin....along with the nice subtle rumble of the LT/ORY/Magnaflow. when i installed my 224 cam on stock heads, i never really noticed the sewing machine sound....no more than stock anyway. but now with the new heads, its really noticeable. anyway, anyone else have this after a new valvetrain upgrade?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Atleast my situation isn't. I like it.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

Sewing machine mod huh. I like to call it the collapsed lifter mod.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:36 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

what does it sound like, I still cant figure out WTF the noise coming from my engine bay is. Loud hiss sort of thing. I've gone through like 1000000000 things trying to fix it. well maybe lik 9 or 10.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Regular

Did you remove the AIR system? When I removed mine, one of the lines that attached to a junction behind the intake was loose, and it hissed.

Exhaust leak?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
what does it sound like, I still cant figure out WTF the noise coming from my engine bay is. Loud hiss sort of thing. I've gone through like 1000000000 things trying to fix it. well maybe lik 9 or 10.

When I installed my air lid I noticed a hissing noise from under the hood. It turned out to be the intake line on the air pump. Prior to the new lid the intake line was connected directly to the air box and did not make any noise. After the new air lid, the intake line is not connected to the air lid and has its own filter. The noise may be coming from that filter; at least in my situation it was. If I cover the filter with my hand the noise goes away, but as soon as I let the filter draw in air the noise comes back.

I don't know if that's what's occuring in your situation, but that was my problem.

Hope that helps,

Jim
Old 03-04-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have just a block in my car with stock heads and cam. The sewing machine effect is already bad enough for me. When I take my vacation in 2 weeks and put on these 6.0's and the cam, I can only imagine what it's going to sound like...
Old 03-04-2005, 03:17 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

Originally Posted by ACCELR8
When I installed my air lid I noticed a hissing noise from under the hood. It turned out to be the intake line on the air pump. Prior to the new lid the intake line was connected directly to the air box and did not make any noise. After the new air lid, the intake line is not connected to the air lid and has its own filter. The noise may be coming from that filter; at least in my situation it was. If I cover the filter with my hand the noise goes away, but as soon as I let the filter draw in air the noise comes back.

I don't know if that's what's occuring in your situation, but that was my problem.

Hope that helps,

Jim

Whoa whoa run this by me again, pretend like I am a two year old in your explanation. Thats kind of what I thought, but I am not familiar with this air intake line disconnection. when i put in my lid (MTI clear lid), everything was the same way (technically speaking) as when the lid was stock.

OH actually can you PM me so this thread isnt hijacked. sorry guys.

Thanks Jim

Brad
Old 03-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Default sewing machine sound

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
i installed my MTI h/c package last weekend. i must say the sewing machine sound is really loud now. i hear a lot of people on here complain about it a lot, but i think its almost kinda neat soundin....along with the nice subtle rumble of the LT/ORY/Magnaflow. when i installed my 224 cam on stock heads, i never really noticed the sewing machine sound....no more than stock anyway. but now with the new heads, its really noticeable. anyway, anyone else have this after a new valvetrain upgrade?
i to have the mti stage 2 e heads w/ a custom grind cam.the sewing machine sound is going to be there.the aluminum heads with titanium retainers & double springs amplify the existing valvetrain noise.mine sounds like a solid
cam engine.i kinda like it,but at first it was a shock.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:25 PM
TECH Addict

yeah, im kinda diggin it
Old 03-04-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I laugh now when I hear people whine about the "sewing machine effect".........come listen to my solid roller setup....I have the entire textile mill under my valve covers....
Old 03-04-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by koolaid
Yeah, but it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. Atleast my situation isn't. I like it.
Mine was pretty loud when I had TREX in the car
Old 03-04-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by koolaid
Did you remove the AIR system? When I removed mine, one of the lines that attached to a junction behind the intake was loose, and it hissed.
that would cause a vaccum leak...u gotta plug that line with a bolt or something
Old 03-04-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Diolar Magnum
Whoa whoa run this by me again, pretend like I am a two year old in your explanation. Thats kind of what I thought, but I am not familiar with this air intake line disconnection. when i put in my lid (MTI clear lid), everything was the same way (technically speaking) as when the lid was stock.

OH actually can you PM me so this thread isnt hijacked. sorry guys.

Thanks Jim

Brad
PM sent
Old 05-12-2005, 01:37 AM
On The Tree

How common is the sewing machine sound on a stock block, heads, and valvetrain? I recently bought the car and haven't touched the engine and it makes that sound.
Old 05-12-2005, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Still trying to get used to all the machinists under the valve covers after mods.