Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lock-tite on cam bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 04:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock-tite on cam bolts?

Well I did my cam install last weekend and everything seems good, fluid levels, oil pressure and it runs good. I put lock-tite on almost everything but I think I might have forgot my cam bolts. I was so excited to have everything lined up right that I think I just torqued them down to 26lb/ft. Now I'm a little worried. I have an apointment to get dyno tuned at ls1speed on wed and I plan to ask them about it. I just thought I would see what you guys think. How important is this? Do I need to take it all apart again to put some on or is it just added security? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou
Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 PM
12 Second Club

I personnaly think it is very important. If it were me, I'd take the front cover off and loctite them. It won't be hard since all your pulling is the waterpump and pulley, then front cover.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its important, yes. But damn that sucks man!! At least you know you did everything else right the first time, right? LOL.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:17 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, first time. The only other real work I've done were the headers,well actually I did everything in my sig except the torque converter but nothing like this, so I'm still feeling pretty good about doing it myself. It just felt so nice to be done and now I might have to dig into it again this weekend. My body still aches from last weekend, mostly my hands,lol. I don't mind the blood as much the aching. A couple times I found myself not being able to grip the wrench, I hate that feeling. Thanks for your opinions guys. Anybody else feel free to pressure me into doing it, I really need the push.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:22 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

friend did this, and apparently it made it much faster....

he is replacing his shortblock now..seriously. put loc tite on there...he actually had a piston with a valve through it (not hitting it, THROUGH it). cam walked out a little since the bolts backed out and wham, new shortblock.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:09 PM
10 Second Club

Now thats a little scary. Guess I have another project on my hands this weekend.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:13 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ls1speed? is that anything like speed inc. ?

i would definatly throw some loctite on them, you will feel much better about it once it's done. and you know you love working on that car!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:12 PM
9 Second Club

I wouldn't worry about it if you got the bolts tight. I know the factory doesn't put lock tight on the original cam. I personally always do but I have forgotten in the past and let some go. Even if they come out they can't come all the way out without you knowing about it. The bolts will hit the front cover and stop coming out but they will make a noise while hiting the cover. I have seen this happen. It was a buddy of mine that did his own. All he had was hand tools though. I use an impact on all mine.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

I did mine with a torque wrench to 26lb/ft. I also put lock-tite on the cam retaining plate bolts so I don't think the cam can move much. Even if the bolts backed out a little, the cam gear would still be pinned in place. Like GueSS Who said, if the bolts come out I will hear them scraping the timing cover. I think I might wait a couple months so when I take it all apart I can check how everything is holding up.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

ya i wouldn't worry, i didnt loc-tite a thing. i also use a impact on it all. loc-tite is a good habbit to get into but i didnt have and when i did mine so i said what the heck.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
I know the factory doesn't put lock tight on the original cam.
Actually, if you buy new cam bolts, they come with some yellowish stuff on the threads. Kind of like loctite.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i didn't put locktite on mine...and i didn't have use a torque wrench..i just tightened them till they were tight...and nothing has happened yet..it's been about 2 weeks...and i don't think i'm going to take everything back off again to see if they are still screwed in...i don't see why they wouldn't be...
Old 03-26-2005, 10:44 AM
10 Second Club

I used loctite but you might get away without using it. It all depends but I believe what can go wrong will go wrong. Of course I just have naturally bad luck! Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

We always loc-tite our cam bolts and install a locking kit on top of torquing.

Seems a touch overkill, but there are huge amounts of harmonics traveling
through the timing chain, valve springs, etc. which all transfer to the camshaft.

I would say it's in your best interest to tear down the assembly and add some
thread lock at a minimum.

Quick Reply: Lock-tite on cam bolts?