Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Install.. I'm freaking out... PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam Install.. I'm freaking out... PLEASE HELP!

Alright. Everything has gone fine till I went to put the 5/16" rods in to hold the lifters up. I was spinning the cam to shoot the lifters into their retainers and I accidentally pulled the cam out just passed the first round lobe that rests on the cam bearing(same thick lobe where the key is located).

Is this far enough out for a lifter to fall?? Because now I cannot get it to go back in the last 1.5 or so inches. I stuck a pushrod back into each individual pushrod hole to see how far it would go down and every pushrod went about the same length.

Also. Where do I get pen magnets?? Do companies call them pen magnets?

I am going to try and stick pen magnets in all the holes and then try and push the cam (this is still the stock cam) back in.

Click the link, the top pick shows a cam(not mine) and the red ring that I painted on the pic shows how much of the cam is hanging out of the engine.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/363571

PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99whitews6
Alright. Everything has gone fine till I went to put the 5/16" rods in to hold the lifters up. I was spinning the cam to shoot the lifters into their retainers and I accidentally pulled the cam out just passed the first round lobe that rests on the cam bearing(same thick lobe where the key is located).

Is this far enough out for a lifter to fall?? Because now I cannot get it to go back in the last 1.5 or so inches. I stuck a pushrod back into each individual pushrod hole to see how far it would go down and every pushrod went about the same length.

Also. Where do I get pen magnets?? Do companies call them pen magnets?

I am going to try and stick pen magnets in all the holes and then try and push the cam (this is still the stock cam) back in.
Your local auto parts store should carry pen magnets
Napa
Old 03-25-2005, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

what about the cam, is it out far enough for a lifter to even fall?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

If none of the lifters fell, then you should be able to push the cam back in. I did the same with my cam the first time and freked out, then i carefully pushed it back into place. It wont go in easily, you have to move it around until it fits into place. Good luck!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Resident

Ok, but does anyone think the cam has even moved far enough out for a lifter to fall. My problem is that if the cam is hung up on a lifter that has fallen a little, I can try all I want but the cam will not go back in!!
Old 03-25-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its just hard to get the proper leverage on the cam with the little bit you have sticking out of the block. It will slide back in once you get the rear of the cam level
Old 03-25-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry to keep prying but does anyone know the minumum amount a cam must be removed before a lifter can possibly fall? Or get hung up on something?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:47 PM
FormerVendor

stick the water pump bolts in....and try to get the back of the cam up (i know its hard to do but that helps for the little tolerance that it needs to slide back in) but be careful not to hurt the bearings

that should do the trick I hope
Old 03-25-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

alright.... I got the cam back in(made some not so not sounds and not smooth turning).

How did everyone get the 5/16" rods in? My AC condensor does not move that far out of the way!!
Old 03-25-2005, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

alright.... I got the cam back in(made some not so not sounds and not smooth turning).

How did everyone get the 5/16" rods in? My AC condensor does not move that far out of the way!!
Are your rods too long? Put them up to your new cam and make them about 2 inches longer.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Its a little tricky getting them in. Did you loosen the bolt clamping the condensor? Then you can move it a lot more. Look at the picks on ls1howto.com. That write up is great. It will show you how to get the cam out and that is the same way I was able to get my rods to slide in. I made mine a little longer than I had to so I needed the extra space like you. Did you grind down the rod for the passanger side? It may not go in if you havn't. I grinded mine down about 1/8th" and it slid in with a little turning. Good luck.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

I didn't, I used the russian roulette method. A little scary, but it works.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

you can push the ac condensor down and its alot easier than pushing it up.
Old 03-26-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since you have the cam still in, measure the rods against the length of the head plus about 2-3 inches. It should be about 19 inches long I believe.
The AC condenser can be pushed down out of the way.
Make sure you push it down just enough so the cam can get out. If you bend the condenser line too far, you could damage it.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been roughly 20 cams changed locally that I know of. 5 were done in front of me, 2 were mine. Everyone just spins the cam really hard to get the lifters into the retainers and no lifters have ever fallen (yet, knock knock knock.)
Old 03-26-2005, 09:40 PM
FormerVendor

grind a flat side on each of the rods and you shouldnt have any problems sliding them in....you also need to drop the condenser below the cam hole