Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

someone mind telling me a little about "drivability" with a large cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone mind telling me a little about "drivability" with a large cam?

Hey guys i am looking at doing research on cams and have put together some great info for myself ranging from sounds, to horsepower graphs, testimonials, etc.
However i everyone says that it is drivable, etc....
what are some of the things that make a cam undrivable for a DD? A little shaking at a light will not bother me, a surging idle will get annoying though. also when driving around town(most of my driving) what would a larger cam act like? is it going to be coughing stuttering, bucking etc? it will be in an M6 and will be tuned at LS1speed(never made contact but they are relatively close).

For the record i am looking at the MS3, F15, G5x3, and G5x4.

Thanks
Louie Panayi
Old 04-05-2005, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

well, the larger the duration of the cam, the less its gonna wanna idle. it dont wanna sit still, it wants to stay above 3500 rpms. same goes for lobe separation....the tighter u go, the more overlap u will have, giving u a choppier idle. both of these are factors that determine what is streetable and whats not. of course these days tuning works wonders, but the larger u go, theres only so much the tuning will do for u.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wickid Z
well, the larger the duration of the cam, the less its gonna wanna idle. it dont wanna sit still, it wants to stay above 3500 rpms. same goes for lobe separation....the tighter u go, the more overlap u will have, giving u a choppier idle. both of these are factors that determine what is streetable and whats not. of course these days tuning works wonders, but the larger u go, theres only so much the tuning will do for u.
Great info. I'm also studying up on cams trying to decide whats 'right' for my application, and how big is too big.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

ok well with the given being said, if i go with a cam that is the size of the ones that i am interested would a comparable tuner like the one stated be able to get the car to a point that it will set still at an idle? I want the high rpm power of a large cam and the great sound, however i dont want to take away from the "ride quality" that i get now. i understand that i cant get both however as long as while i am driving i dont end up getting jerked around by bucking and at stop lights i am not embarrased to be in a car that searching for idle i should be ok.

Thanks for the input guys
Louie
Old 04-05-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Drivability is so relative that it's nearly impossible for someone to tell you what is and isn't "driveable." I have the T-ReX and, while it can get a little aggervating around town (bucking and surging), I certainly consider it driveable. With a good tune and steeper gears, any of the cams you listed should be, as far as I'm concerned, driveable.

If you're not sure, start with the smallest of your options. The cams you listed should all be within 10 RWHP of each other, so you really can't go wrong no matter which you choose.

Josh
Old 04-05-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by half-n-half
ok well with the given being said, if i go with a cam that is the size of the ones that i am interested would a comparable tuner like the one stated be able to get the car to a point that it will set still at an idle? I want the high rpm power of a large cam and the great sound, however i dont want to take away from the "ride quality" that i get now. i understand that i cant get both however as long as while i am driving i dont end up getting jerked around by bucking and at stop lights i am not embarrased to be in a car that searching for idle i should be ok.

Thanks for the input guys
Louie
FWIW, i have the GM847 cam (232/242 550ish lift 112 Lsa), 1.6rr and
I haven't gotten it tuned yet, but it does buck down low and surges at low rpm but other than that its ok. This is also in my DD which I also ported and polished the heads on it. Good luck whichever one u decide
Old 04-05-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Josh
Drivability is so relative that it's nearly impossible for someone to tell you what is and isn't "driveable." I have the T-ReX and, while it can get a little aggervating around town (bucking and surging), I certainly consider it driveable. With a good tune and steeper gears, any of the cams you listed should be, as far as I'm concerned, driveable.

If you're not sure, start with the smallest of your options. The cams you listed should all be within 10 RWHP of each other, so you really can't go wrong no matter which you choose.

Josh
you are absolutely correct and that is why i used the "" marks.

I guess i will try to explain a little more clearly and thoroughly of what my opinion of drivable is and if some of you guys konw please tell me if one of these cams will fit the criteria...

A non surgine idle(if it is 50 rpm or so, ok, but not it surging 2-300 rpm every other second...)
NO bucking at low rpms in the middle of no where throwing me/friend/date around in my car that would suck.
a little shaking would be nice, and cammin out is cool i just dont want to car to be...annoying.

The two main things are listed above. if people know of other things that may be" annoying" to me please let me know. also if we think one of these cams will work that will be great. also if not what is a close cam that will work.

Thanks again
Louie Panayi
Old 04-05-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think any of the cams you mentioned are going to buck from time-to-time. Some of it can be tuned out, but it comes with the territory. My old 222/224 cam bucked a little every now and then.

Josh
Old 04-05-2005, 11:27 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like to me you are not very tolerant of cam surge. If you are looking for a very nice street friendly cam with essentially no surging, then go with a TR224 114. When tuned it will act very "mild" in terms of driveability.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:39 PM
12 Second Club

It was stated above so well "relative" Me, I couldnt tolerate much surging and hunting for idle thats why I knew I had to sacrafice some power and go with a smaller cam. I may only go to the track 3 times this year. My car is a 98 and has 30,XXX miles so it doesnt leave the garage all that often but when it does I personally want a nice driver. It would be nice if someone in your area had a cammed car you could check out maybe go for a ride in. Thats a thought put up a thread for someone in your area. Who knows?
Old 04-05-2005, 11:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MS3 input

For reference I have the MS3. I consider it very streetable, and in an A4 with 3.23's at that. (3500 stall) Tuned at speed inc. The idle is to die for. The only issues it has are:
-During the winter on a COLD start it would hunt for idle (surge, stumble, surge, stumble...) in a big way at the first stop light I hit about 300 yards from my apartment complex. Another mile down the road at the next light it was perfectly fine. The rare day that I hit the first light green it would idle okay at the next light. I think it just had to go into closed loop before it idled well maybe? Now that it's warmer outside it idles perfectly almost immediately, even in gear.
-There is some minor bucking/surging at lockup speed, but that wouldn't be much of an issue with an M6 as you could just keep it a gear lower. Even with the A4 I can avoid it pretty easily be tapping to break on decel so it unlocks, or accelerating 2-3 mph right after it locks up. (if it tries anything funny)

I absolutely love the cam. No times yet, but I am going this weekend FOR SURE. And just in case you didn't already realize, the idle through dumped duals is just plain sick.

Edit: I just saw that you are from Merillville. I am originally from hobart, currently in west lafayette. If you are interested in having a look-see I will be at US41 dragway this saturday evening for the open drags from 5-10 pm. It's not very far, if you havn't been. Located just north of moracco (sp?) on, well, US41.
Old 04-06-2005, 01:13 AM
11 Second Club

my cam is to big if you wanna do any driving under 2500 rpms
Old 04-06-2005, 01:28 AM
TECH Veteran

My car has a little surging under 1500 rpms, but above that it's golden... drives great for having a relatively large cam in it. Gearing helps, that's for sure.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to have a TR224 114, very streetable cam, few issues. The TSP235/240 112 I replaced it with exhibits quite a bit of bucking from 1300 rpm to 1900 rpm, but only when going a constant speed. If I accelerate or deaccelerate through this range, there is no problem. If I lug it below the range, or buzz it above the range, there is no problem. That's really the only driveability issue it has. Idle is rough but steady at 1000 rpm, it never dies or stumbles, and has good low rpm torque. Engine shake at idle is "just right." It runs smooth and clean from 2000 rpm and up. Power is awesome from 3500 rpm and up. My shift light is at 6600 rpm, rev limiter at 7000 rpm. If you like big cams, you will learn how to drive differently to minimize the quirks and even enjoy them.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it's been said already.. But you really need steeper gears with a big cam. Makes driving it a LOT easier.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:13 AM
Teching In

If driveability is a concern get the FM13
Old 04-06-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SiL3NtXWS6
I know it's been said already.. But you really need steeper gears with a big cam. Makes driving it a LOT easier.
Agreed....get 3.73's or 4.10's and living with a big cam will be much easier. Gas mileage may suffer, but if you want that kind of power, who cares?
Old 04-06-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

the F14 I have bucks at low rpms in 1st (under 2k) And does the hunt for idle for about 10-15seconds in the mornings with decent warmth. I live with it a little rougher as i still have 3.42s
Old 04-06-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

if when it first starts up that is ok. i think that i want the power of a larger cam although i may look into something smaller. Bigger gears for me are like brushing my teeth i have to do it. i want 4.10s real bad. MY car will NOT be a track car. will i bo ok to have 4.10s in a stock rear in an M6 if i never take it to the track. Maybe once a year. I have had my car for about 2 months and i dont think that i have even ever lauched hard...

Lemme know what you guys think about the larger gears in the stock rear. it seems that some people do it, however i am scared...

Thanks
Louie
Thanks for all of the opinions i guess all that i can do is take a ride in a cammed car and/or put it in and if it kills me spend a couple of extra dollars and get a smaller cam/sell the one that i have.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Edit: I just saw that you are from Merillville. I am originally from hobart, currently in west lafayette. If you are interested in having a look-see I will be at US41 dragway this saturday evening for the open drags from 5-10 pm. It's not very far, if you havn't been. Located just north of moracco (sp?) on, well, US41.[/QUOTE]

yeah i have been once or twice. I truly honestly appreciate the offer and i will try to get up there saturday but i highly doubt that i will go. probobly very little chance honestly.

Do you live in lafayette now or are you there for school? if you come back to hobart after the school year maybe i can see then.

Thanks
Louie