Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Lifter

Old 04-08-2005, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad Lifter

I know that there where others who had the same or close to the same problem as i did, so i wanted to give an update on my lifter problem..

After installing the 233/239 cam with hardend push rods and PRC Dual springs, my car starting making a terible Ticking sound that resembled a bend push rod... problem was that it would only do it every once in awhile usually at low speeds and only do it for about 3-5 minutes.. well, after getting several other opinions on the problem, i assumed it was a bad lifter..

So, since i had to pull the heads to get to the lifter to replace them i went ahead and got some TEA/FFHP 5.3 heads while i was at it after the install of the heads and lifters, the ticking is completly gone and has been for over two weeks now. I was unable to identify the "bad" lifter, there was no obvious damage, but that was the Culprit..

So, i hope this helps someone else who may be going through the same issues that i was..

Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good to hear. I am getting ready to do the same and also have a ticking since my cam install with one lifter that doesn't seem to want to stay pumped up very long. I purchased a set of Tea heads and new oem lifters. What brand lifters did you end up using?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HavATampa
That's good to hear. I am getting ready to do the same and also have a ticking since my cam install with one lifter that doesn't seem to want to stay pumped up very long. I purchased a set of Tea heads and new oem lifters. What brand lifters did you end up using?
i went with comp 850's .. they are more quite than the stock ones where.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:00 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My engine had a tick that would come and go, and it ended up being a lifter that would sometimes turn 90* then turn back after a while. It was turning in the plastic lifter guide. It also gouged the cam lobe when it did this. Gave me an excuse to upgrade to a bigger cam.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the update!

I also have had the exact same problem as you guys ever since my cam swap. And like you two, I have suspected a bad lifter. I ordered up new heads (Since the stockers have to come off anyway ) and a set of Comp 850's as well. Everything has come in and is stting on my work bench, but now I have been waiting (for what feels like a damn eternity) for Force Fed to finally get around to getting me my ARP head bolts.

This post makes me feel like there may be some hope... This tick-tick-tick-**** will drive you nuts!
Old 04-09-2005, 01:10 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackHawk
Thanks for the update!

I also have had the exact same problem as you guys ever since my cam swap. And like you two, I have suspected a bad lifter. I ordered up new heads (Since the stockers have to come off anyway ) and a set of Comp 850's as well. Everything has come in and is stting on my work bench, but now I have been waiting (for what feels like a damn eternity) for Force Fed to finally get around to getting me my ARP head bolts.

This post makes me feel like there may be some hope... This tick-tick-tick-**** will drive you nuts!

glad this made you fell better, thats why i posted it, when i was going through this i never found anything other than people going through the same thing as me.. no solutions

good luck, and have fun!!
Old 04-09-2005, 02:28 AM
TECH Resident

can anyone give me a sound clip of it, IVE NEVER Had a cam installed , but it seems that i have gotten a ticking right after i changed out my stuck thermostat. I am also getting an SES code, could this possibly be connected?
Old 04-09-2005, 12:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ultraz
can anyone give me a sound clip of it, IVE NEVER Had a cam installed , but it seems that i have gotten a ticking right after i changed out my stuck thermostat. I am also getting an SES code, could this possibly be connected?
i dont have a clip, but if i where you, id go and Check all of my exhaust.. it can cause a ticking noise and an SeS light.. though the only way i could see them being related is if you had a loose o2 sensor :dunno:
Old 04-09-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey Chris is that a tank in the Background of your Picture?
Old 04-10-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's not a TANK!! That's his Hood!!!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 04-10-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

i have.....i guess u could say multiple ticks.....ut i think its the lope...b/c it sounds the same everyday since i bought it(it does have a cam).....and i dont have a power loss thats for sure .....but i can hear the ticks at idle and when i pass somthing solid on the road( like brick wall or a hill close to the road).....just wandering with this cam custom comp 224/224 .581/.581 112lsa w/ 918's (the rest of the internals are stock)....would cause this
Old 04-10-2005, 10:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BDWS6
That's not a TANK!! That's his Hood!!!
oh, we have jokes now? ....ok, i dont have a snappy comeback.. YOU SUCK..and so do you Jim!!
Old 04-10-2005, 09:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Search this Thread