Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam and spring swap for a total newb

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 02:42 PM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam and spring swap for a total newb

alright heres the thing... i have a little, very little motor knowledge when it comes to actually tearing one down.. and at this point i have all the **** together for a intake and TB, and cam and spring swap but i dont wanna pay any one 600$ for them to do it
I'm wondering if i am really capable of this.... I've never done ANYTHING internally on a motor.
I i just need to know how hard is it really for a newb to do this

check my sig on "Parts Waiting to install" those are the ones id be installing (except for the tranny stuff)
i have checked ls1howto.com and read it several times but i just need to know from hands on experience.

I know ill need a pulley puller, spring tool, and some pen magnets (dont know what the hell they are for though ) any other special tools ill need?
Old 04-15-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's good for someone new at this sort of thing to have an extra pair of hands present in order to help out.

When I did my cam swap, I had a couple of buddies there to help out... and I was about as green as can be when it comes to modding before I started with this car.

Just make sure to print out the instructions, double check everything including your parts list, keep track of everything you take off the engine so its easier to find things when you want to put it back.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Staging Lane

If you installed your headers and your rear, then you should be more than able to get it done. I got the cam earlier this week too, and I have to keep myself away from the garage so I dont tear it down until I have a full weekend to mess with it. I am sure if you look you can find some help, I am lucky in that department with a few friends who all have ls1s. You will love it that much more when you tell people you built it. Good luck to ya.
Rob
Old 04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
7 Second Club

ahaha... i wish i could say i installed my headers and rear

but i think im gonna give this cam thing a shot... Ill make sure and grab some good tools and try to get an air compressor... mabey get one of my mechanic friends to help
Old 04-15-2005, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

I too had absolutely zero experience before buying this car. I started by doing the headers (took like 20 hours! ), and then cam/springs/oil pump/timing chain. I had an extra set of hands a fair amount of the time with the cam swap and I had to consult the board a few times when I got hung up. I took over a week to do it, working a few hours a day at first as it was only 25-35* in my garage. If you do a lot of searches for cam swaps/installs before hand it helps. Here is a link to my post swap post, lol. Some other people chimed in with helpfull info as well
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/255574-just-installed-cam-springs-tips-hints-info-inside-promised-post.html
Old 04-15-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
I know ill need a pulley puller, spring tool, and some pen magnets (dont know what the hell they are for though ) any other special tools ill need?
Research the spring tool. Make sure you get one that will do the job with the engine in car. I have heard that you will want a special tool to hold the lifters up while changing the cam. Once you rotate the engine, and the lifters pop up, you pull the cam, there is nothing but friction holding the lifters up. It is two rods that slides in under the lifters once you pop them up. The holes will be visable after you remove the timing cover. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Although I do not wrench on my car, Just picked up a set of Helms manuals, expensive but worth it IMO
Old 04-15-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

I've only done one swap, but my advice would be this. Get a friend to help, even if they're no any more knoledgeable than you, you'll need an extra set of hands for a few parts. Read the install on LS1Howto until you feel comfortable with it. I must have read over it 10 times or so, then I felt like I had already done one.
As for tools, I wouldn't use pen magnets, just get get some 5/16 rods to hold the lifters up. I used an air compressor to hold the valves while I did the springs, although TDC is just as good if not better. I wouldn't go cheap on the spring tool, a good one is well worth the money IMO. I used this one, 10-15 minutes a cylinder, including changing seals and seats.
http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...&vid=3&pcid=17
second item down on the page.

I say go ahead and do it, you'll never learn if you don't try.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

That's the spring tool I had overnighted from thunder racing after attempting to use the autozone loaner. Went from 1.5 hours for the first cylinder to 15-20 minutes, easy, per each cylinder after that.
Old 04-15-2005, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
alright heres the thing... i have a little, very little motor knowledge when it comes to actually tearing one down.. and at this point i have all the **** together for a intake and TB, and cam and spring swap but i dont wanna pay any one 600$ for them to do it
I'm wondering if i am really capable of this.... I've never done ANYTHING internally on a motor.
I i just need to know how hard is it really for a newb to do this

check my sig on "Parts Waiting to install" those are the ones id be installing (except for the tranny stuff)
i have checked ls1howto.com and read it several times but i just need to know from hands on experience.

LS1howto.com
Old 04-15-2005, 04:32 PM
7 Second Club

so i should get the spring tool made by crane, right?
and any 5/16 rods will do (where to get them)?
Old 04-15-2005, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Dowel rods should be at most hardware stores, as well as anybody that carries interior design type stuff. I got mine at liek builders square I think. The crane tool is awsome, it worked to perfection for me.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

As far as the springs go first timers have to "learn" when the keepers are in the right spot,its hard to explain but those that have done a lot of them know of what I speak,good luck and dont get fustrated....
Old 04-16-2005, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

That's your best friend. I just got done doing mine last night and went driving today. I got a spring changer from autozone and I could change a spring in about 5 minutes with it but I used an air compressor to hold my valves up. You can get the 5/16" rods at any hardware type store but i'd round the tips a bit. Hmmm, i'd probably change the oil pump and timing chain while I had the car apart for extra insurance. Good luck with it, pm me if you have any questions and i'll try to help you with them
Old 04-16-2005, 06:58 AM
9 Second Club

The valve springs are the most difficult part of the process especially the cylinders towards the back of the car. Take your time & have a few wxtra keepers on hand. I used the Moore valve spring compressor.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:39 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not so sure this would be a good job for a newb to tackle. But the instr on LS1howto are great!

That said, the Larry Tool also works quite well for the valve springs (for sale here in the Tools Forum). And the 5/16th rod for the pass side will usually need to be ground down just a smidge to fit. For some reason the lifters on that side are a little closer to the oil journal (I believe that's the hole you slide the rod down)

The other tasks of note are removing / installing the harmonic balancer & removing / installing the bolt for the oil pump pick-up tube. You'll need a 24mm impact socket, a breaker bar & a pipe to put on the end of it. (240ft lbs) I found heating the balancer up @ 250* for 30 min makes the install part a snap. And you'll need someone with long skinny fingers to reinstall the oil pump pickup tube bolt. It's a bastard! Drop it & you'll be pulling the motor.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
And you'll need someone with long skinny fingers to reinstall the oil pump pickup tube bolt. It's a bastard! Drop it & you'll be pulling the motor.

Good thought.
Old 04-17-2005, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Yup, WAHUSKER is right you'll need to grind down one of the dowels since you have an 02. And a trick I used on the pick up tube bolt is this. I made a little loop out of some fishing string and had a buddy hold it until the threads were started when putting it back in. I didn't use it when taking it out because I hadn't thought of it. I only thought of it when I dropped it on my first attempt putting it back in. I got really lucky from what I hear, 30 seconds with a pen magnet and it was back out.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
Yup, WAHUSKER is right you'll need to grind down one of the dowels since you have an 02. And a trick I used on the pick up tube bolt is this. I made a little loop out of some fishing string and had a buddy hold it until the threads were started when putting it back in. I didn't use it when taking it out because I hadn't thought of it. I only thought of it when I dropped it on my first attempt putting it back in. I got really lucky from what I hear, 30 seconds with a pen magnet and it was back out.
where and what are the dowels?
Old 04-18-2005, 06:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think he meant those 5/16 inch rods....
You can get them at Home Depot, Menards...