Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought a cam, Help me figure out what it is.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 04:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just bought a cam, Help me figure out what it is.

I recently bought what is supposed to be a F1 cam from a customer of a performance shop that a friend of mine works at.

I have been trying to verify if this is indeed a F1 or not.

There are 3 sets of numbers on the end of the cam. First is "28GTP", second is "420-112", and third is "010216"

First I called Lunati because I was told that Fastech was the originator of the F1 cam and that Lunati ground all the Fastech cams. Lunati said it'd be best to call Fastech to try and verify it with them first.

I called Fastech and they say the numbers aren't anything they recognize, since they use Comp Cams to grind their cams and there would be a "CC" somewhere on the cam. Fastech told me it may be a Speedtek/Fastech cam since Speedtek used Lunati to grind their cams. Therefore no "CC" on it anywhere.

I called Speedtek and they told me that it wasn't one of their cams and that the "28GTP" could be from GTP Racing in Houston. I found their number and tried to call but the phone number no longer works.

Can anyone decipher anything from the numbers I posted above? I'm looking for any help I can get here to determine what type of camshaft I have now. Any cam specs or anywhere I can call to get some answers would be terrific.

Thanks
Old 04-21-2005, 05:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try to find a performance shop with a cam doctor nearby....that's the only way to be 100% sure....you can also mic the cam lobes to find if the lifts are what the F1 are..
Old 04-21-2005, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mystic96
I recently bought what is supposed to be a F1 cam from a customer of a performance shop that a friend of mine works at.

I have been trying to verify if this is indeed a F1 or not.

There are 3 sets of numbers on the end of the cam. First is "28GTP", second is "420-112", and third is "010216"

First I called Lunati because I was told that Fastech was the originator of the F1 cam and that Lunati ground all the Fastech cams. Lunati said it'd be best to call Fastech to try and verify it with them first.

I called Fastech and they say the numbers aren't anything they recognize, since they use Comp Cams to grind their cams and there would be a "CC" somewhere on the cam. Fastech told me it may be a Speedtek/Fastech cam since Speedtek used Lunati to grind their cams. Therefore no "CC" on it anywhere.

I called Speedtek and they told me that it wasn't one of their cams and that the "28GTP" could be from GTP Racing in Houston. I found their number and tried to call but the phone number no longer works.

Can anyone decipher anything from the numbers I posted above? I'm looking for any help I can get here to determine what type of camshaft I have now. Any cam specs or anywhere I can call to get some answers would be terrific.

Thanks

First off, don't buy a cam that you don't know anything about. Atleast ask for the Cam Card.

Is this for your mustang or a LS1.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Keenov
First off, don't buy a cam that you don't know anything about. Atleast ask for the Cam Card.

Is this for your mustang or a LS1.

Thanks for the tip, but I bought from a friend that usually knows what he's talking about. And what I've been hearing now that I've bought it is that this cam seems to have been bought and sold more than a few times. I'm sure in all the changing of owners, the Cam Card has gotten lost somewhere.

The cam is for a LS1 in my Mustang.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

F1... hmm... call me crazy but FUTRAL motorsports----- nicknames his cams F1-F15 based off of size so maybe try that.. i know on the end of my f14 i just installed it said FMS F14 or something like that.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:59 AM
On The Tree

The "F1" cam he is refering to is the first Fastech cam. Speedtek absorbed Fastech and basically took the F1 cam and marketed it. Specs are 230/226@.050 .591/.569 112. It makes great power, sounds mean and is very streetable with minor tweaks. Do you know if this used cam came from RPM in Lewisville? If so, it is not an F1 cam. PM me for details.
Old 04-22-2005, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cool Z
The "F1" cam he is refering to is the first Fastech cam. Speedtek absorbed Fastech and basically took the F1 cam and marketed it. Specs are 230/226@.050 .591/.569 112. It makes great power, sounds mean and is very streetable with minor tweaks. Do you know if this used cam came from RPM in Lewisville? If so, it is not an F1 cam. PM me for details.
PM sent
Old 04-25-2005, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

Anyone else with any information about this cam?

Would these specs be for a GTP Racing cam? Is there any way to get in touch with them?