Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anybody run crane cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Everything else aside, I really like it when we get input straight from the horses mouth (Mark Campbell) and appreciate the fact that someone from Crane actually reads and participates in these discussions. I always find it helpful when he provides information.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey thanks for the info Mark Campbell. SDPC said that the crane cam with LS6 springs listed in my post would last as long as the LS6 cam with LS6 springs, what I am refering to is how many miles before I have to replace the springs. So I called up Crane tech to confirm, the guy I talked with said the ramp rates are easier on the springs than other cams because the lobes are not as agressive. He told me to use crane valvesprings, as the LS6 springs are not as good and won't last as long, he also told me to check the springs by 40-50k miles to make sure they were good. He said I don't want a cam with very agressive lobes that require a valvespring change every 15-20k as thats alot of uneeded work when you can get a cam that can go longer.
I don't know his name but he was a nice guy and very patient to answer all my questions.

I want to make sure the cam I pick makes me happy, I am slightly limited as I want to pass emissions, and the crane cams seem like a good pick-far as price and specs that I am looking for http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/3876...-Camshafts.htm. I don't know how agressive the ramps are, I just want to make sure I get good power out of it without having to change springs every 20k miles if possible. I believe that B1 cam was made by crane and was very popular because it made so much power, and yet was pretty easy to drive on the street, so I"m sure you guys know what your doing. This is my daily driver so nice street manors is very important to me
Old 05-18-2005, 07:55 AM
11 Second Club

The "emissions factor" makes your choice a little more complicated, especially since emissions standards (or lack thereof) differ from state to state.

Having said that, I think the Z+220 cam would be an excellent choice for you. It should be very emissions-friendly while giving you a big boost in power over stock, and would be completely "streetable" and mannerly.

P.S.- The price is right on that cam also.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d james
...So I called up Crane tech to confirm, the guy I talked with said the ramp rates are easier on the springs than other cams because the lobes are not as agressive.....
Originally Posted by Mark Campbell
Just a question or two: who told you that these are lazy ramp rates? If you put them on a cam doctor and check them out, you will find that they are quite aggressive.
Interesting, no?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:03 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Interesting, no?
I don't see any contradiction between those two statements if that's what you're implying. The Crane cams can be "quite aggressive" (which they are as confirmed by the numbers) and still be easier on valve springs than other cams that may have even more aggressive ramp rates (like the XE-R's, for instance).

No one has claimed Crane cams are the most aggressive.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by XTrooper
I don't see any contradiction between those two statements if that's what you're implying. The Crane cams can be "quite aggressive" (which they are as confirmed by the numbers) and still be easier on valve springs than other cams that may have even more aggressive ramp rates (like the XE-R's, for instance).

Anyone care to give out some numbers at .006 .050 .200 of one of cranes aggressive cam lobes to compare to a cammotion or thunder lobe? I have a donor for the cammotion cam. 221/221 @ .050 so give a comparable crane cam. I will post the rest of the lift numbers when I get home.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 AM
11 Second Club

I never said anything about the most aggressive. You seriously don't see a contridiction there? He called the company and "the guy I talked with said the ramp rates are easier on the springs than other cams because the lobes are not as agressive". Then "Just a question or two: who told you that these are lazy ramp rates? If you put them on a cam doctor and check them out, you will find that they are quite aggressive". One says they aren't aggressive, the other says they are. You can't get much more obvious than that.
Where do you ge that "most" part from? you just pull something out your butt to say so it sounds like you are making a good point?
Old 05-19-2005, 09:32 AM
11 Second Club

I never said anything about the most aggressive. You seriously don't see a contridiction there? He called the company and "the guy I talked with said the ramp rates are easier on the springs than other cams because the lobes are not as agressive". Then "Just a question or two: who told you that these are lazy ramp rates? If you put them on a cam doctor and check them out, you will find that they are quite aggressive". One says they aren't aggressive, the other says they are. You can't get much more obvious than that.
Where do you ge that "most" part from? you just pull something out your butt to say so it sounds like you are making a good point?
I didn't have to pull anything out of anywhere to make my point, I'm just not trying to read into either statement what isn't there.

My "no one has claimed Crane cams are the most aggressive" statement makes the point. Why? Because if there is no claim by Crane that their cams are, in fact, the most aggressive (and there isn't), than that means that cams exist which are more aggressive. Still with me? Now with this in mind (there are cams out there more aggressive than the Cranes), you can see that 1. there's no problem with Mark Campbell's "quite aggressive" statement and 2. there's no problem or contradiction in the "ramp rates are easier on the springs than other cams" statement unless you want to believe that "other cams" means every other cam on the planet and to claim that you'll have to pull it out of one of your own orifices.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Resident

Hello, can we get some specs like I listed?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

The fact that more aggressive cams exists means absolutely NOTHING whatsoever.

I'll go over the facts again.

*Topic starter stated the crane cam was easy on springs due to soft ramp rates, which he verified through calling crane tech and talking to someone. He then asked what he'd be losing with soft lobes
*I answered him about the soft vs aggressive lobes.
*Somebody else from crane posted info opposite what topic starter got on phone.
*You come from nowhere and jump down my throat for going on bad information (from crane tech) and make an *** of yourself.
*You then completely ignore the fact that you were an *** about it, which was totally uncalled for, and decide to change to saying they aren't the MOST aggressive. Supposedly not being hte mos aggressive means something in this discussion now.

Now, please
Old 05-19-2005, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

The fact that more aggressive cams exists means absolutely NOTHING whatsoever.

I'll go over the facts again.

*Topic starter stated the crane cam was easy on springs due to soft ramp rates, which he verified through calling crane tech and talking to someone. He then asked what he'd be losing with soft lobes
*I answered him about the soft vs aggressive lobes.
*Somebody else from crane posted info opposite what topic starter got on phone.
*You come from nowhere and jump down my throat for going on bad information (from crane tech) and make an *** of yourself.
*You then completely ignore the fact that you were an *** about it, which was totally uncalled for, and decide to change to saying they aren't the MOST aggressive. Supposedly not being hte mos aggressive means something in this discussion now.

Now, please
I call you on badmouthing a product you know nothing about and I'm the ***?

Got your feelings hurt? Well, boo-frigging-hoo.

STFU? Not a chance, sweet pea. I suggest if you don't like what you see being typed, best not read it. That's probably the best advice for you in any case, as it's obvious your reading comprehension is lacking.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Got your feelings hurt? Well, boo-frigging-hoo.

STFU? Not a chance, sweet pea. I suggest if you don't like what you see being typed, best not read it. That's probably the best advice for you in any case, as it's obvious your reading comprehension is lacking.
Badmouthing a product? WTF are you talking about? I'd LOVE for you to show me where you "caught me badmouthing a prodcut". Bring it.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Xtrooper
If you took the time to understand what I was trying to point out to you earlier, you wouldn't still be clinging on to the misconception that he was bad mouthing (sic ) a product. It is evident that he made a statement about lazy lobes in general, not about cam C. That's how I read it. What's worst is he explains just that to you in his reply then you still decide to post your demeaning remarks. That's what set me off earlier.

That's probably the best advice for you in any case, as it's obvious your reading comprehension is lacking.
Whose reading comprehension is lacking? I find that statement very ironic.
I also find it very ironic that you moderate another LSx board.

blkz28spt
Please excuse me for jumping into your discussion with Xtrooper. The opportunity to say what I wanted to say presented itself earlier and I took it. It appears he cannot understand anything else than what he chooses to. Don't waste your time. I did.

So, I want to see the comparison of the Crane vs. Comp vs. TR vs. Cammotion cams also. Let's see it!!

Last edited by nuzee; 05-19-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

Thank you nuzee.

I too would like to see a comparison of all different lobes. Like how the crane cams lobes compare to smoething most of us understand, like an XE or XER.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:27 AM
11 Second Club

Thank you nuzee.
This is my last word on the subject, but trying to back out of what you said and meant earlier is weak.

The title of this thread is anybody run crane cam? and the original poster starts his post with the sentence, "I'm looking at the crane cams." Now you posted the very next post after the initial one and that's when you made your "lazy lobes" comment. The subject of the discussion was and is Crane cams and they are the only logical subject of your comment. The inference, whether you intended it so or not, is clear and several others plainly saw this including Mark Campbell. Further, you yourself, knowingly or not, admitted you were referring to the Crane cams when you replied to my "Lazy lobes?!" question by stating, "I was basing that on the fact that the original poster said" and you then quote d james, "The Crane cams are easy on the ramp rates so the springs will last a very long time." Again, the subject is Crane cams and not cams or lobes "in general."

If you really meant to address lobes in general, that message was poorly conveyed.

nuzee: For the record, your views hold no value and what you may or may not find ironic is of no interest to me. Your motherly concern for blkZ28spt is touching though.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Teching In

I just put a Crane in a friends car (M6) and it works great.
(224 / 228 .551 / .551 on a 116 LSA with the Crane 1.8 rocker kit)
He made 380 / 370 with LT's through cats, and it idles close to stock.
It pulls very hard everywhere, didn't set off any codes, has no valve train noise and didn't need any tuning to run and drive.
I also put the same cam in a A4 car and it worked just as well.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

This is my last word on the subject, but trying to back out of what you said and meant earlier is weak.

The title of this thread is anybody run crane cam? and the original poster starts his post with the sentence, "I'm looking at the crane cams." Now you posted the very next post after the initial one and that's when you made your "lazy lobes" comment. The subject of the discussion was and is Crane cams and they are the only logical subject of your comment. The inference, whether you intended it so or not, is clear and several others plainly saw this including Mark Campbell. Further, you yourself, knowingly or not, admitted you were referring to the Crane cams when you replied to my "Lazy lobes?!" question by stating, "I was basing that on the fact that the original poster said" and you then quote d james, "The Crane cams are easy on the ramp rates so the springs will last a very long time." Again, the subject is Crane cams and not cams or lobes "in general."

If you really meant to address lobes in general, that message was poorly conveyed.

nuzee: For the record, your views hold no value and what you may or may not find ironic is of no interest to me. Your motherly concern for blkZ28spt is touching though.
For the record, your views hold no value. Seriously. Anybody that reads this thread will agree. I'm done correcting and pointing out exactly what was said and why. I don't think it could be any more obvious and inarguable. Go back and read my posts again. If you still don't see it i guess there is no hope for you.
And please don't post any more that you pull out your a**, like saying that I was badmouthing a product.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Good morning all! I have a few minutes to waste this morning so what the hey!

Xtrooper
My "motherly" concern is not directed at blkZ28spt. He could have knocked-up a hooker last night and I wouldn't care . If it is not apparent to you, my so-called "motherly" concern was directed towards you. I chided you so you wouldn't continue to make uncalled for comments that make you look like an ..... Child, you should have taken the message to heart earlier because the more you go on and on, the bigger the you've become. Now put your Barbie doll away and go to bed and take a nap. I'll have some milk and cookies waiting for you when you wake-up.

Seriously, Xtrooper, the remark by blkZ28spt could have easily been mine. That's why your remark compelled me to make a post. I've seen you do the same kind of sucker-punch remark in the past and I thought I handled it the best way possible. I stopped going to LS1.com and never bothered to register at LS2.com. Now we both share the privilege to be here. Please don't bring the good character of this site down.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by nuzee
Good morning all! I have a few minutes to waste this morning so what the hey!

Xtrooper
My "motherly" concern is not directed at blkZ28spt. He could have knocked-up a hooker last night and I wouldn't care . If it is not apparent to you, my so-called "motherly" concern was directed towards you. I chided you so you wouldn't continue to make uncalled for comments that make you look like an ..... Child, you should have taken the message to heart earlier because the more you go on and on, the bigger the you've become. Now put your Barbie doll away and go to bed and take a nap. I'll have some milk and cookies waiting for you when you wake-up.

Seriously, Xtrooper, the remark by blkZ28spt could have easily been mine. That's why your remark compelled me to make a post. I've seen you do the same kind of sucker-punch remark in the past and I thought I handled it the best way possible. I stopped going to LS1.com and never bothered to register at LS2.com. Now we both share the privilege to be here. Please don't bring the good character of this site down.
Your apparent need to be someone's mother raises issues that you should probably address someday, but, be that as it may, and in spite of your "cute" comments above, I had a good mother, long since past, and don't need another.
The fact is, I'm someone who has seen and done a lot in his life, more, I suspect, than you and so many other "Internet warriors" have and, consequently, your advice to me on any topic is unneeded and unwanted. If you've taken it upon yourself to be the Mother Teresa of LS1Tech, have fun with the role, but don't expect everyone to take you seriously. I certainly don't and I'm very likely in the majority. I know it's very difficult for people with egos like yours to grasp this concept, but try to understand it. I don't care what you think about me or my comments and your likes or dislikes have no influence on me. It's just that simple.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by XTrooper; 05-21-2005 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Lazy ramp rates?! Compare a new Crane cam's .050" duration numbers to its advertised duration numbers and get back to us.

BTW, if you don't know this, comparing a cam's .050 vs. advertised duration is an easy way to determine its ramp rate. The greater the difference, the more aggressive the rate.

Correction: Sorry, I should have said "less the difference, the more aggressive the rate" in my statement above. Thanks to nuzee for pointing that out to me.
Cranes ramp rates without their quick lift rocker arms are lazy until proven otherwise by the cam specs. Lets start with your cams specs at .006, .200, .050 to prove me wrong.

Quick Reply: anybody run crane cam