Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP heads and cam package question!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
Yeah you have obviously not done much research around this board.. Flow numbers don't mean everything and the "look" of the head don't mean jack **** when it comes to performance. TEA heads are good heads. There is no doubt about that. Noone is arguing with that.. I'm sure their customer service is good but it has to be good considering the corporate side of things.. But, since you have the heads then why don't you get them independantly flow tested before you go spouting off about how well they flow and how great they are over everyone elses stuff. You might be suprised!
yes I have done alot of reasearch on multiple boards and I was happy with what I found car should be right were I want it once the setup is complete, well if you read my original post I was giving the guy another option and thats all brian at TSP is the one whom seemed to get offended about what I had posted so then everyone got on the bandwagon of TSP stuff is better than TEA stuff, thats fine. I was just trying to inform another member about what I had researched
Old 05-23-2005, 07:02 AM
On The Tree

Yeah you have obviously not done much research around this board.. Flow numbers don't mean everything and the "look" of the head don't mean jack **** when it comes to performance.
I always thought that the way the head has been ported and the quality of work (ie "the look of the head") did kind of mean something towards performance, there are other variables yes but the overall port job does mean something right 1quickt-a?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 AM
10 Second Club

Yes it does mean something, but you can't tell how a head is gonna perform just by looking at it. I bet you could sit one of my buddy Bo Whites heads side by side with a TEA stage 3 hand finished head and you probly couldnt tell much difference.. But, I really wish you would have those heads flow tested before you bolt em down. I'd be interested in some flow #'s and I'm sure there are others that would be interested as well.

But, like I already said.. TEA does really good work from what I've seen and I'm not knocking them or their shop at all. But, I think TSP is a good shop as well and the guys @ TSP have done alot of stuff to help out some friends of mine here locally. I'm gonna try the PRC heads and see how it goes.. If they don't perform I'll be happy to tell everyone about it..
Old 05-23-2005, 08:13 AM
11 Second Club

i love my prc 5.3 2.5 heads i wouldnt trade them for anything for the money,the money i saved on the heads i spent on the suspension 7.13 with stock 323 gears and 3478 race weight with my fat *** in it.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

hey Mark, so thats the race weight with you in it or without?
Old 05-23-2005, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Yes it does mean something, but you can't tell how a head is gonna perform just by looking at it. I bet you could sit one of my buddy Bo Whites heads side by side with a TEA stage 3 hand finished head and you probly couldnt tell much difference.. But, I really wish you would have those heads flow tested before you bolt em down. I'd be interested in some flow #'s and I'm sure there are others that would be interested as well.

But, like I already said.. TEA does really good work from what I've seen and I'm not knocking them or their shop at all. But, I think TSP is a good shop as well and the guys @ TSP have done alot of stuff to help out some friends of mine here locally. I'm gonna try the PRC heads and see how it goes.. If they don't perform I'll be happy to tell everyone about it..
I couldnt agree with you more, i wasnt trying to turn this thread into a pissing match
Old 05-23-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChameleonBird
I couldnt agree with you more, i wasnt trying to turn this thread into a pissing match
Old 05-31-2005, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Question:
Since TSP has access to TEA heads (they sell them), why not do a flow comparison on their bench and post the results??
Or better yet, take them to an independent shop, make sure they are flown with intake and bent pipes (to simulate header) and then post results.
I've yet to see independent tests showing what manufacturers advertise (just so happen they always advertise higher), one exception are AFR heads which have damn close results, no matter where you flow them.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:29 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Question:
I've yet to see independent tests showing what manufacturers advertise (just so happen they always advertise higher), one exception are AFR heads which have damn close results, no matter where you flow them.
Does GMPP heads count? Mine flowed spot on with what their advertised flow rates were when I flowed them independantly
Old 05-31-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tim99ws6
Does GMPP heads count? Mine flowed spot on with what their advertised flow rates were when I flowed them independantly
Of course, like i said "I've yet to see", I do not read all the posts
Old 05-31-2005, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
Question:
Since TSP has access to TEA heads (they sell them), why not do a flow comparison on their bench and post the results??
Or better yet, take them to an independent shop, make sure they are flown with intake and bent pipes (to simulate header) and then post results.
Prob because TSP does not have a flow bench on site !
Old 05-31-2005, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Don't have a flow bench on site because I use one down the street from me. We use a Superflow 1020 bench which is pretty much the leading flow bench in the industry
Old 05-31-2005, 01:48 PM
FormerVendor

Typically you want to do the flow testing where the valve jobs are done
Old 06-02-2005, 01:02 AM
Launching!

Man, I just read this entire thread from the beginning and it is pretty obvious which sponsor has a good handle on the concept of "professional courtesy"! Yea I know ya can't produce horsepower by being courteous but at the end of the day when you put your wrenches down and start the finished product you can either by happy with your experience or pissed off and dealing with a courteous and professional supplier helps insure the positive outcome! By the way, I have done business w/both companies. This exchange has amplified an area where these two companies vary greatly. Every time I call TSP I get very cordial and prompt assistance! That goes a long way......
Old 06-02-2005, 10:01 PM
Teching In

TSP is easily by far the best performance parts company I have had the pleasure of dealing with. They were great the first time when I ordered LT's and ORY and absolutly top notch when I called about a h/c package.

I ended up with the PRC 2.5's and the 233/239 R2 cam. The port work on the heads looked very nice and all the assymbly was perfect. I had a hot cam in the car before with stock heads. When I put the PRC's on I switched back to the stock cam so I could pass emissions/inspection. With the stock cam + the PRC's the car pulled just as hard as it did with the hot cam alone. Then I threw the 233/239 in there and it pulls like crazy all the way to 6500. This is a great combo at a great price for anyone wanting a 5.3 head with a cam you don't have to cut the pistons for. Haven't had a chance to dyno but I will post results once I have them.

Also I want to thank both Jason and Jon for all the help they gave me. They are two of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by formula305
TSP is easily by far the best performance parts company I have had the pleasure of dealing with. They were great the first time when I ordered LT's and ORY and absolutly top notch when I called about a h/c package.

I ended up with the PRC 2.5's and the 233/239 R2 cam. The port work on the heads looked very nice and all the assymbly was perfect. I had a hot cam in the car before with stock heads. When I put the PRC's on I switched back to the stock cam so I could pass emissions/inspection. With the stock cam + the PRC's the car pulled just as hard as it did with the hot cam alone. Then I threw the 233/239 in there and it pulls like crazy all the way to 6500. This is a great combo at a great price for anyone wanting a 5.3 head with a cam you don't have to cut the pistons for. Haven't had a chance to dyno but I will post results once I have them.

Also I want to thank both Jason and Jon for all the help they gave me. They are two of the nicest guys I have ever dealt with.

I would have to agree with that!! And I've got that same setup and can't wait to get it all put together and see what the bitch does!!